Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

Been interested in desert racing, and now the manx style cal look dune buggies for awhile.

I was trying to figure out what score class a manx style buggy would fall in. Doesn't seem like anyone runs them anymore, but they seem to have started the baja challenge with Bruce Meyers and the bikes. It also looks like Bruce Meyers and Vic Wilson ran an off road manx in the 2002 Baja 1000 (http://www.off-road.com/competition/race/2002-scor...?printable), but I can't find the class they raced in.

Closest I can figure out it could fit in is:
SCORE Lites
or
SCORE Class 1/2-1600

Looking through pics of these two, seems like most of the vehicles just run flat panels as body work, and have to be over a chromoly tube chassis. I guess the flat panels saves a little weight and less body work to get hung up.

Last edited by winddude on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

I believe this is the car Bruce Meyers ran in 2002 and maybe 2014.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(http://offroadnewswire.com/racing/a-meyers-manx-race-car-resuscitation/)

Anyone have more info on it? Thanks
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

The cars #1967 indicates pro utv in SCORE, (#1900 to 1999) seems odd to me.

1/2-1600 does not allow coil overs, SCORE lites does.
1/2 1600 to me would be the class with the best bang for your buck. Lites seems to be a bit more involved fabrication/dollar wise.

Just my opinion.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

SCORE and SNORE are super competitive races and most entries are big $.

The NORRA 1000 race is very different. It is more of a rally consisting of 5 days of racing and tries to stay closer to the route Bruce and Ted took for the first buggy run in April 1967 beating the bikes time. The NORRA runs he length of the Baja ending at the Southern Tip. Whereas the SNORE and SCORE races are a circle of sorts usually ending back at the start line. This NORRA race is regarded as the Friendliest Race on Earth, and it lives up to that reputation.

In NORRA, the classes are different than SCORE and SNORE, and they are based on the suspension and time period of the race cars. The first class is Called the Pioneer Class (1967 to 1975) for Buggies/Beetles/Bajas that run swing axle suspensions. Type 1 based engines. Trucks an 4X4's can be in that class but have to abide by the year rules and lesser suspension mods.

The second class is for IRS suspensions with no coil overs and called the Legend Class, (1976 to 1982). Type 1 Engines also. trucks have to be manufactured in that year era too.

Then NORRA created a Meyers Class a few years back. The only rule is the body has to be a Meyers Product. Winnie Meyers told me she would protest to NORRA and they would agree to her recommendation if an entrant entered this class with a Meyers product thinly draped over a Trophy machine, aka a "Ringer". This class was designed for the Evolution of the sport to promote technology in the buggy hobby.

We ran my Original Manx in the NORRA 2018 race running it in the Meyers Class along side the long travel Dual Sport Baja Edition Subaru Powered Manxters. In the 2018 NORRA race, one original Manx was in the Pioneer Class (Swing Axle) and finished the race. One buggy was in the Legend Class running with the Open Wheels Tube Chassis FUNCO style rail buggies. There was 4 in the Meyers Class and we had an absolute blast doing it. As a East US Team, we drove the Buggy across the US to the race, raced it, completed the race 121 out of 270 overall, then drove the buggy back home across the US.

Day 4 coming out of the silt beds after getting hit by Don Prudhomme from behind.

After the race, on our way home back East we stopped at Bruce and Winnie's House and Bruce wanted a picture with us. Bruce and Winnie traveled the entire race with us, and stayed a couple days in San Jose Del Cabo at the end of the race.

Day 1 starting the race in Ensenada MX. Mike Pearlman pointing the way. Mike's father started the First NORRA 1000 in October 1967.

The 5th day coming into the finish line, beaten, rolled it once, busted, worn and loving every minute of it. Our wives in the background in Orange shirts.

Our Team of 14 partying in San Jose Del Cabo at the Awards Ceremony on the Beach at the Sea of Cortez.

Here is the chassis I built in my garage in West Virginia. Very light weight coming in at 1835 pounds race ready with spare tire, tools, spare parts and full tank of fuel.

2 AM after Day two at the campground of Bay of De Los Angeles working on leaking fuel tank, (Crap EMPI Sender Gasket that melted), ripped out shock mount getting welded back in, replacing steering box that broke off the beam, putting on third Carburetor, tightening wheel bearings, working on communication systems. Made the next days starting time for Day 3 and did very well.

A passing shot on Day 3, the longest day at over 400 miles off road.

It is an adventure of a lifetime. As a fist time race team, running the NORRA race instead of a SCORE or SNORE allowed us to work on the buggy and keep it going every evening. If we had ran the other races, we would not have finished because they start and do not have any breaks until the end of the 1000 miles and time is called.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

bigfatloser wrote:
The cars #1967 indicates pro utv in SCORE, (#1900 to 1999) seems odd to me.

1/2-1600 does not allow coil overs, SCORE lites does.
1/2 1600 to me would be the class with the best bang for your buck. Lites seems to be a bit more involved fabrication/dollar wise.

Just my opinion.

1967 would be for the first year he ran or set the record and beat the bikes.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

The NORRA 1000 race is very different. It is more of a rally consisting of 5 days of racing and tries to stay closer to the route Bruce and Ted took for the first buggy run in April 1967 beating the bikes time. The NORRA runs he length of the Baja ending at the Southern Tip. Whereas the SNORE and SCORE races are a circle of sorts usually ending back at the start line. This NORRA race is regarded as the Friendliest Race on Earth, and it lives up to that reputation.

It is an adventure of a lifetime. As a fist time race team, running the NORRA race instead of a SCORE or SNORE allowed us to work on the buggy and keep it going every evening. If we had ran the other races, we would not have finished because they start and do not have any breaks until the end of the 1000 miles and time is called.

Awesome thanks, I'm going to look more into that.

Not super close to being able to race in it, but hopefully one day!

Do you need to run with chase and support vehicles in the NORRA? I would be interested in talking more with you about the logistics, although I'm probably a few years out from being able to race in it.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

"Do you need to run with chase and support vehicles in the NORRA? I would be interested in talking more with you about the logistics, although I'm probably a few years out from being able to race in it."
Yes, for the NORRA 1000 you should have chase support. NORRA will have 500 mile 2 day event in October 2019 that revolves around Ensenada and takes place over 4 days instead of 10. 2 250 miles loops starting and stopping in Ensenada make it more affordable while not requiring as much support logistics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

Awesome thanks, I'm going to look more into that.

Not super close to being able to race in it, but hopefully one day!

Do you need to run with chase and support vehicles in the NORRA? I would be interested in talking more with you about the logistics, although I'm probably a few years out from being able to race in it.

No you do not have to have support or chase for NORRA. Eric and his Brother (name escapes me) entered their original Yuma Yellow Manx in the Pioneer class, (rear suspension has to be Swing Axle), drove the buggy there from Middle CA, raced and finished the race, drove back up the Baja and back home without a chase/support. Just the two of them.

Their # 67 entry the day before the race started.

They took a huge gamble, but have a story similar to Bruce and Ted doing it without a support.

Break one part you do not have on you, and you could be done. You will also need to carry all your clothes, tools, and spare parts on the buggy with you, which increases the weight, and hammers the suspension even more. I would recommend a support/chase just for that safety net factor. The chase can also carry fuel for the pit stops so the buggy does not have to worry about getting fuel at a station that may have run out by the time you get there.

A trailer would be handy too just in case. We were lucky that when we rolled our buggy, the damage did not knock us out of the rest of the race. It only left a few small scratches to tell the story about.

About 1 hour into Day one, at the first road crossing, I spoke to a team that had endo rolled theirs and it ripped off all 4 points of suspension. All 5 days were done for them that quick. $ 4K entry gone in 1 hour.

If one of you gets sick, (Happens in Mexico) they can swap out and ride in the chase and the buggy can keep going. A Team Dynamic does have advantages.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. The fuel/parts was the biggest thing I was worrying about. I guess the NORRA 1000 doesn't have pit-crews to hire or tire sponsors to use for pits? It would be nice to have an RV meet you at the end of each stage with somewhere warm to sleep.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

I heard back from one of the builders, Marty Fiolka, of the Bruce Myers buggy in 2002 and 2014.

In the 2002 Baja it ran in it's own special class, I guess they do things for you when you help invent the race and built a car that became a lifestyle. lol

In 2014 in the NORRA 1000 in ran in the buggy class.

It may even be for sale! Would need a full race prep. Anyone want to do a team purchase with a bunch of internet strangers? lol

Last edited by winddude on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
Thanks for the info. The fuel/parts was the biggest thing I was worrying about. I guess the NORRA 1000 doesn't have pit-crews to hire or tire sponsors to use for pits? It would be nice to have an RV meet you at the end of each stage with somewhere warm to sleep.

Mag7 performs pit stop staging at different places that are both road accessible and remote locations. We purchased fuel at two locations that were to remote for our chase to make it there in time to meet the buggy. Mag7 will also carry your spare tires for you and do have some limited repair tools. You pre-pay for the fuel at about $ 7.00 US per gallon, and need to estimate the fuel stop logic to match what you need to purchase.

The rules state you cannot carry spare fuel on the race car in anything other than the fuel tank, so, you have to account for some stages being 150 miles or so without access to fuel. We averaged about 14 miles per gallon during the race. The NORRA 1000 was 1367 miles long in total, so that was 100 gallons we burned in just the buggy.

Lodging. Except for the limited number of rooms at the Bay of LA, hotels can be had at each night stop, and are decently economical, close to the finish/start line.

If you are serious about racing, I would suggest chasing it this coming year to get an idea of what you will face. I hand built our buggy by myself having never seen off road racing, (except for TV, and it does not give a good representation to what it actually is) or raced off road. If I could have made a trip to see it in person, my build and logistics would have been different. If you go to the race, you can meet the people, see the tech, the start, road crossings, pit areas, understand the TC's and the SS's, the daily finishes, the repairs, the drop out rate, the logistics of fuel, language, currency, food, camping and so many other things that can be intimidating unknowns.

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

While yes the 67 team entered without a chase crew, they were also unable to complete some of the stages because they did not have a crew to refuel them. They would start the stage and then bypass the rest of it and take the max penalty time. They obviously had to be mindful of how they pushed the car with no backup parts. It was a valiant effort and they did what they had to do with what they had to work with. You don't beat Baja, you survive it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:
I heard back from one of the builders, Marty Fiolka, of the Bruce Myers buggy in 2002 and 2014.

In the 2002 Baja it ran in it's own special class, I guess they do things for you when you help invent the race and built a car that became a lifestyle. lol

It may even be for sale! Would need a full race prep. Anyone want to do a team purchase with a bunch of internet strangers? lol

I spoke with the current owner back in July, he had been working on the car and was hoping to 1 day enter it and run the NORRA Mexican 1000 with his son. He didn't indicate any desire to sell it then.
manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:

One of the concerns in Mexico is the roads, they are narrow(NO shoulders) and sometimes can be very rough if there is construction or repairs in progress, so taking large vehicles, RV's can be challenging, The people that race down there a lot can be seen with spare axles, leaf springs and multiple tires just for their trailers. The tractor trailer & bus drivers down there are also fearless and can make driving there exciting! We try to keep the support fleet as simple as possible.
winddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
While yes the 67 team entered without a chase crew, they were also unable to complete some of the stages because they did not have a crew to refuel them. They would start the stage and then bypass the rest of it and take the max penalty time. They obviously had to be mindful of how they pushed the car with no backup parts. It was a valiant effort and they did what they had to do with what they had to work with. You don't beat Baja, you survive it!

That's what I've heard. Enter with the goal of finishing, particularly in class 11.
enesset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

winddude wrote:

Funny you mention buying in as a team....this week down in La Paz I mentioned that to Dario, Paul and the guys.....
enesset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What snore or score class would a cal look dune buugy fall in Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
winddude wrote:

Mag7 performs pit stop staging at different places that are both road accessible and remote locations. We purchased fuel at two locations that were to remote for our chase to make it there in time to meet the buggy. Mag7 will also carry your spare tires for you and do have some limited repair tools. You pre-pay for the fuel at about $ 7.00 US per gallon, and need to estimate the fuel stop logic to match what you need to purchase.

The rules state you cannot carry spare fuel on the race car in anything other than the fuel tank, so, you have to account for some stages being 150 miles or so without access to fuel. We averaged about 14 miles per gallon during the race. The NORRA 1000 was 1367 miles long in total, so that was 100 gallons we burned in just the buggy.

Lodging. Except for the limited number of rooms at the Bay of LA, hotels can be had at each night stop, and are decently economical, close to the finish/start line.

If you are serious about racing, I would suggest chasing it this coming year to get an idea of what you will face. I hand built our buggy by myself having never seen off road racing, (except for TV, and it does not give a good representation to what it actually is) or raced off road. If I could have made a trip to see it in person, my build and logistics would have been different. If you go to the race, you can meet the people, see the tech, the start, road crossings, pit areas, understand the TC's and the SS's, the daily finishes, the repairs, the drop out rate, the logistics of fuel, language, currency, food, camping and so many other things that can be intimidating unknowns.

Joe has provided a TON of valuable and correct advice in this thread.
This year (this week) was my 8th NORRA....in all but one year I have run with my vintage early bronco buddies.

Only someone heavily mentally challenged/deficient would build a Manx in their garage and then attempt NORRA with no chase, just Mag7 and the general kindness of others (that was legitimately irresponsible).

You should ALWAYS have more break in miles on your Manx prior to the event then you did driving from San Diego to Ensenada to the start.

You should also always slow down for jumps.

You should always (if possible) get your photo in La Paz with Bruce and Robbie Gordon next to the finish area in front of your tagged 69 Manx.

NORRA is awesome but if you don't have experienced guys on your team (and a 4 person team should be a minimum, then volunteer to chase with a team or pay to play as a navigator/co-dog to get a feel for it first.

Attrition is brutal especially day 3....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: