Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

tzepesh wrote:
I had the same problem, it drove me crazy. Until I installed the chokes and all problems disappeared. It need to be a bit richer at cold temperature, for a few minutes.

Hpmx carbs dont have choke provisions, there cast out of the design.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
oprn wrote:
Max Welton wrote:

Stock duals from VW (like the pdsit) had chokes.
Max

All of them from '65 through to '74 including the Brazilian carbs we now call Kadrons.

There were Kadrons with chokes?

Max

Still is. Click on the picture on the right.
https://www.shop.kaddieshack.com/BRAND-NEW-Kadron-EMPI-Solex-40-44-Carb-Kit-Type-2-4-43-44T4.htm
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Huh. My old ones ... had no choke.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Mine either.

That was one of the deciding factors in ditching them. Otherwise they were working as good as any single barrel twin carb set could be expected to.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
tzepesh wrote:
I had the same problem, it drove me crazy. Until I installed the chokes and all problems disappeared. It need to be a bit richer at cold temperature, for a few minutes.

Hpmx carbs dont have choke provisions, there cast out of the design.

I am not aware of any copy that does Chinese or American. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I think they could be added to some of the copies but it would not likely be worth the machining time. Kaddies on the other had should be do-able.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Now, I do know someone who attacked the cold-start issue from a different angle.

He had an electronic ignition system of some kind (Mallory?) that allowed for a small control in the cabin that he could adjust the timing on the fly. He would advance the timing a little to help get it started and then use it to hold a slightly high idle for a few minutes. After that he would dial the advance back to normal and drive off. Said it worked pretty good.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Yes I could see that helping. The biggest issue with cold starting is that gas does not burn in a liquid state and cold gas does not evaporate fast enough to support combustion. You need larger volumes of it to get enough in a vapor state to fire in the cylinder. That makes the engine act like it is lean. Once the metal in the engine warms up there is enough heat to vaporize it very quickly.

I don't know if it's been tried but you could pre-heat the carb bowls. Might be a bit of a touchy thing... Shocked
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Some folks have engineered air-box filters for dual carbs.

I wonder if you could get a choke effect by restricting the intake to the air-box?

Max
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

First gen HPMX had the internal choke assemblies, most leaked causing tuning issues so people are practically giving them away.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

No restrictive air boxes and filters is the wrong way to go. That would only effect the high rpm mixture. For starting it's the idle mixture that needs to be richer.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Ah. Quite so. Laughing

Max
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
First gen HPMX had the internal choke assemblies, most leaked causing tuning issues so people are practically giving them away.

Ah! So is that where the "If you have chokes they MUST be disabled and blocked off!" came from? Is it limited to just those carbs then?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

just increase the Idle jet size and check to see what the accelerator pump jets are. .50 or .55 is good on both!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:

Ah! So is that where the "If you have chokes they MUST be disabled and blocked off!" came from? Is it limited to just those carbs then?

Ive seen the first gen empi HPMX and the early no name ebay clone 'IDF' with the internal components in place and a block off plate externally. I think it is the rubber o rings the break down and start leaking under vacuum condition. second gen got a solid rod instead of the plunger assembly effectively solving the issue. My view is to just block them if you are not using to avoid any potential issues in the future.

I remember seeing the enrichment (internal w/cable arm assembly) available on single 40 Weber IDF from redline some time back but not sure about now.

Also the Solex/Kadron with electric chokes were available from empi not that long ago. Thought the type 4 kits were the last of the available stock and I no longer see them in the catalog.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
No restrictive air boxes and filters is the wrong way to go. That would only effect the high rpm mixture. For starting it's the idle mixture that needs to be richer.
Isn't limiting the air to make the mix richer how all those stock solex carbs do it? Granted they also increase the throttle.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
oprn wrote:
Isn't limiting the air to make the mix richer how all those stock solex carbs do it? Granted they also increase the throttle.

Ah yes it is a very crude device. It closes of nearly ALL the air even at idle effecting every circuit in the carb. If left closed the engine would start and then flood out completely as the rpms increased from the main jet dumping huge amounts of fuel in the limited air stream especially if you were to drive off with the choke on. On the choke butterfly at the top type of carb there is a little diaphragm operated device that pulls that butterfly open part way as soon as the engine starts to prevent this. Face the Solex carb and look at the top near the choke shaft. It has 3 screws and a triangular cover.

The genius part about the Weber/Dellorto enrichment system is that it parallels the idle circuit and like the idle circuit it only effects the idle and transition stages. The main circuit is not effected with the choke on. No need for such a device!

This enrichment system also includes a jet for the liquid and an air correction jet so it is not only tunable but it adds air as well as fuel to give you the high idle! It's almost a carb all on it's own.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Performance engine popping and sputtering mostly when cold. Reply with quote

I had this situation earlier this year. I tuned the idles as lean as I could for mpg and got down to 45's. Fine when warm but almost impossible to keep running when cold (if it started at all) with much popping and banging. Back up one size idle jets and it's fine even though it's around freezing here now. DRLA40's. So as others have already suggested, maybe the OP is just a little too lean on idles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: