Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Power pulley, slow your fan down. I can almost touch the belt together on my race engine and hit 8000rpm at the shift with a power pulley (well a dry sump pulley that is even smaller). Never thrown a belt. Also check to make sure the pulleys are aligned which I'm sure you have, the faster they turn the more critical alignment is. I had a serpentine bellt on my first big engine and ran it over 7000 rpm a few times, but I also set it to slip at that speed. At around 6800 you could start to hear the belt squeal, which leads me to believe that's when the fan started to stall. Just a theory I guess.

brad
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Jim, Is this your engine with the Engle 110 cam?

i was wonderng the same hmmm

slalombuggy- yeah but pls dont touch the belt pls hehehe Wink

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Ok. I'll bite.
What's the correlation between the W110 camshaft and tossing fan belts at 7050RPM with stock pulley's?

ralf wrote:
jpaull wrote:
Jim, Is this your engine with the Engle 110 cam?

i was wonderng the same hmmm

slalombuggy- yeah but pls dont touch the belt pls hehehe Wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Probably because that RPM exceeded the 110's powerband.

Once the torque drops off its time to shift.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

I have had two different engines (2180 and 2084) over the last 15 years and they have seen over 7000 RPM many times and only once in all those years I threw one belt off autocross car engine....

Both engines have power pulleys to slow fan speeds and belt/pulley alignment is best possible and used best quality belts one can get....

Not sure what cam shaft has to do with belt problems other than engine stop developing torque as cam tops out..... Most of the time on auto-x car we ran in second gear and engine has to work from 1500 to 7000 RPM because on short courses there is not really time or need to shift....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I have had two different engines (2180 and 2084) over the last 15 years and they have seen over 7000 RPM many times and only once in all those years I threw one belt off autocross car engine....

Both engines have power pulleys to slow fan speeds and belt/pulley alignment is best possible and used best quality belts one can get....

Not sure what cam shaft has to do with belt problems other than engine stop developing torque as cam tops out..... Most of the time on auto-x car we ran in second gear and engine has to work from 1500 to 7000 RPM because on short courses there is not really time or need to shift....

Dale

Yep, my 2276 has seen over 7k with no belt issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Yes you can turn over 7000 RPM with a power pulley because the fan turns slower. The problem is turning over 7000 RPM with a stock sized pulley. The fan can not turn that fast and throws the belt.

Don't forget with a stock sized pulley the fan/alt turns about 1.8 times the crankshaft speed so at 7000 RPM X 1.8 = 12,600 RPM fan speed.
and a power pulley turns about 1.5 times. 7000 RPM X 1.5 = 11,200 RPM fan speed.

There is going to be a point when you will throw the belt on a power pulley too because the fan can not turn any faster, but I don't know what RPM that is because I have never gotten there. Using the math above it would be around 8400 RPM.

On a side note I have had far better luck with the cheapest $3 Taiwan belt than the real high dollar good quality belts. The cheap belts are thinner and fit deeper into the pulley grooves and they also slip more.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos

Last edited by vwracerdave on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
Hi, please gdt that fuel filter out of the engine compartment, close to the spark machine, without clamps, ESPECIALLY as you're throwing belts around.

Happened to me once, full size pulley at around 7000-7500 rpm, and it blew the "1300" emblem off the lid. That's enough momentum to pull off a fuel hose. Best place for a filter is just under the tank. Check, you might already have an old one there, too.

Maybe try running a thinner belt, sits down further in the groove, and maybe try running the belt a bit slacker, letting it slip more. Just ideas.

Thank you for your expected response. Carry on, please. Work on VW for 40 years (10 professionally) and then tell me about the filter. Thanks again!

It rubs the lotion on it's skin - it does this whenever it's told.

Link

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Yes you can turn over 7000 RPM with a power pulley because the fan turns slower. The problem is turning over 7000 RPM with a stock sized pulley. The fan can not turn that fast and throws the belt.

Don't forget with a stock sized pulley the fan/alt turns about 1.8 times the crankshaft speed so at 7000 RPM X 1.8 = 12,600 RPM fan speed.
and a power pulley turns about 1.5 times. 7000 RPM X 1.5 = 11,200 RPM fan speed.

There is going to be a point when you will throw the belt on a power pulley too because the fan can not turn any faster, but I don't know what RPM that is because I have never gotten there. Using the math above it would be around 8400 RPM.

On a side note I have had far better luck with the cheapest $3 Taiwan belt than the real high dollar good quality belts. The cheap belts are thinner and fit deeper into the pulley grooves and they also slip more.

Thank you to all for replying. Very interesting. Never even considered the fan stalling issue. Damn, one more thing to consider!

Racerdave, thank you for the reply. Based off your experience that you shared, I will get a power pulley and a cheap belt. Lets see what that does!

I do have one question for the group. If I install the power pulley and increase my top rpm, what does that do to my idling numbers. With the fan spinning slower, do I run the risk of over heating. Do I need to be watching my cylinder head temp gauge more closely or??? What can I expect?

Thanks!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Ya,
If you run a power pulley on the street for some miles,
It would be good to have a CHT and keep an eye on it.

Some have gotten away with a loose belt.
When it gets the RPM up there it slips easily,
And since there’s lower tension,
It can live.

Maybe a Gates belt, run a bit loose?

What’s That Noise?!?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see which belts work better.
I don't know, but wonder.
I never intentionally bought a special imported belt...but, If that's anything like "continental" fuel line, (imported fire hazard)..... maybe the belts are the same way? or not? LETS SEE

Sorry you didn't know that this would happen? well, maybe that's for the best, it would not be an adventure if you already knew everything. Wink
Even among the OE parts there are slightly different sizes of crank pulleys, and different possibilities with the belt size and washer stack, as well as different fan widths. The belt whip is partly due to the speed variation of the engine which is made worse by longer strokes and lighter flywheels. So, maybe if you had a heavy flywheel and a 78 stroke it would not do it.....or, who knows! I don't.
Not a lot of people turning 7k rpm with a long stroke "street motor"
A fan clutch, possibly viscous coupling.... would be a great way to have it all but it is a very difficult thing to design and build on a "one off" basis.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Do you guys really think a cheap belt is the answer? Rolling Eyes

When I had this problem, I tried several brands of belts. Gates is the one that survived 7500+ with stock pulleys.

I looks like you have early "generator" type pulleys. If so, you need to upgrade to later "alternator" type then use the wider alternator belt.

Your thin generator belt is stretching, then it flips over in the groove
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Bruce is correct. The Gates belt usually fixes this issue., as long as you don't have a pulley issue.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:
Probably because that RPM exceeded the 110's powerband.

Once the torque drops off its time to shift.

Yes, thats my point. Why rev it to 7k constantly if its not making power up there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

I keep thinking of something along the lines of, "I keep sitting on these empty cardboard boxes, and they hold up for a little bit, but then crumple.. why?"

Some things just aren't designed to be used they way we use them.. I doubt many V-belts are meant to be run at 7k rpms... especially using stock pulleys that were designed with 3500-4k rpms in mind..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Again, thank you all! The amount of knowledge on here is humbling!

I will try the Gates belt first. Then I will move on to an alternator pulley and a Gates belt. If the problem is still present, well then I will need to curb my enthusiasm, a bit.

Yes, I do understand the cam has a power limit, and I am exceeding it. The first time it happened was a shock and had not been really paying attention to anything except the rpm gauge. Just wanted to know if my calculations were correct and that I could hit 8 grand. Got to 7400.

Second time I was not paying attention, just having fun. The remainder of the times it is me pushing things, because that is where I find life to be. All in or nothing! That’s why I love rock climbing. I am an extremist.

Regardless of the rpm limitation, in general, I try and live life with no limits. I like being able to push things just a little bit further. I have found that place right beyond safe to be the sweet spot.

I went with the 110, for two reasons. I knew of the 110 from past engines I had played with, and two I wanted the influence from the cam to arrive at a lower rpm, since most of this cars driving is between street lights or stop signs. There are way too many around here!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

A few of the guys running at Bonneville have made a belt guide to keep the belts on their engines at 7000rpm sustained speeds. It is simply an "L" shaped bracket that bolts to the top front case bolt and holds a 1" bearing that rides on top of the belt with little tension but I guess just keeps it from bouncing. I haven't tossed a belt so I've never used one, as I said before, I can almost pinch my belt together it runs so slack and I use a Scat drysump pulley.

brad
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
A few of the guys running at Bonneville have made a belt guide to keep the belts on their engines at 7000rpm sustained speeds. It is simply an "L" shaped bracket that bolts to the top front case bolt and holds a 1" bearing that rides on top of the belt with little tension but I guess just keeps it from bouncing. I haven't tossed a belt so I've never used one, as I said before, I can almost pinch my belt together it runs so slack and I use a Scat drysump pulley.

brad

Maybe that extra roller damps down some resonance in the belt by stopping it flapping around. It could be interesting to point a timing light at the belt and see what shapes it makes as you increase the rpm.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill Schwimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Ditto on the Gates belt. Used them many times past 7500 with stock size pulley, however once the belt stays on you might be finding your next weak link.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwing my belt at 7050rpms. Why? Reply with quote

Bill Schwimmer wrote:
Ditto on the Gates belt. Used them many times past 7500 with stock size pulley, however once the belt stays on you might be finding your next weak link.

Like your non-welded fan? Shocked

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: