Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skinnerclassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

The Kiddeland Fire Truck restoration has been put on hold for a reality TV show that's in the works. Everyone is on board with the highest anticipation of seeing the restoration happen on the screen. I'll make sure to update this thread as more information is available to us. Thanks for your patience!

In the meanwhile, check us out on FB "Skinner Classics VW Restorations". Thanks y'all, RS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

I'm sure Rob would approve!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Interesting! I believe that only three were made.

I have the nose from one of them.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Nefken built something similar, but I think his was open-topped.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Any images and info on the chassis and drivetrain?
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

So awesome to see this back on the road!

Props to Skinner. Can’t believe he found two.
Colorado Springs
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

I’ll get some underside shots. In fact I’ll probably do a full video walk around of them to post on YouTube.

For the record , the initial “find” was mine, not Skinners. I just sold him one and we went together to grab them. He is the perfect home for it, like me he loves to share the stories and will get it out there into the world and play with it.
951-795-1175
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Actually...I really need to give credit to Brett Smith for the discovery.
He is the one that found them and put me in touch with the owner.

The rest as they say, is history.
951-795-1175
72MUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Interesting! I believe that only three were made.

I have the nose from one of them.

These trucks are very cool! Any idea how the front came to get separated from the rest of it & do you know any background of "your truck" ?!
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

It was never mine. It belonged to Rob Cress. After he passed away, I sold it to Skinner for the family. The original nose is pretty rusty and Rob was in the process of replacing it when he was diagnosed with brain cancer. I’m not sure who he got it from? Maybe Randy?

The nose just ended up on my wall.
Colorado Springs
72MUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
It was never mine. It belonged to Rob Cress. After he passed away, I sold it to Skinner for the family. The original nose is pretty rusty and Rob was in the process of replacing it when he was diagnosed with brain cancer. I’m not sure who he got it from? Maybe Randy?

The nose just ended up on my wall.

Thanks for the explanation, thought it might have been from some other unknown fire truck!
Hopefully Rob's old truck will get finished some day as he intended. Good to hear that the nose is reunited with the current owners. I know it might be easier to just replace the nose entirely with new, but it would be nice to repair the original & get it back on the truck Smile
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

The nose isn’t reunited with the current owner. It’s on the wall of my shop in Colorado, where it will remain. Rob’s old Kiddieland truck is one of the current, restored trucks, unless they found a third that I’m unaware of. Maybe Randy can chime in.

The one on my wall, the one that went to Skinners, was a 56 from what I remember. It (they) were covered by the oldest fire truck manufacturer in the US. This is what I was told.
Colorado Springs
72MUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Bit confusing!

My understanding is that the 4 known fire trucks are pictured in this thread.
Rob's restoration project which Skinners now have & are hoping to restore.
The clean pair recently shown, Randy owns one, Skinners the other, ie Skinners have two.
The fourth is the modified one with temple logos pictured earlier in a parade.
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Rob Cress' Truck is now in the hands of Skinner. It remains unrestored and needing significant work. The nose on the wall in Colorado must be the original for that truck as he has a new nose skin for it. This truck started out at Fun Faire in Skokie Illinois.

The two that Skinner and I just pulled out of Chicago are all original and unrestored and in excellent condition. These were from the Melrose Park Kiddieland. Ive kept Engine #1 and sold Skinner #2.

There is a fourth one known currently that is being used as a Shriner parade vehicle in Alabama (photos are in this thread)

There were two other parks known to have these trucks, Kiddietown and Hollywood Kiddieland. How many of the trucks they had is unknown and if they are still out there anywhere remains to be seen.

So...the current tally is 4 known to exist.
My gut feeling is that there was probably about double that built back in the day. Would be safe to say "less than 10"
951-795-1175
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I can imagine that having an original one next to the one that needs restoration is going to help out significantly.

Rob was going to lower it a put it on Fuchs. Times have changed.
Colorado Springs
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 VW Fire Engine Kiddie ride Reply with quote

Robert and I talked about it on the whole drive home. It's a big project, and now with a nice one in his hands...will there be the motivation to complete the restoration of Fun Fair 2?

I think he would let it go if the price was right and the home was a stable enough one to support completion.
951-795-1175
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: