Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vanagon 2.0L into Type 3
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

I have a 69 fastback. considering putting in an engine with a little more umf! been told a vanagon 2.0 with a porshe 5-speed tranny would fit in nicely. True? if so, what do i need to consider when starting my shopping for engine and tranny? I have a local guy who rebuilds aircooled engines and want to know what i am asking for before i engage him.
Also, currently have a fuel injection setup. would I need a new computer and FI setup to match the 2.0L engine?

Thanks
It is either do this engine swap or start body work. engine work sounds more fun and rewarding!
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

For the most part....its just a type 4 engine....so its a good thing. However.....the way a vanagon engine has been set up....compression, cam, ignition curve and torque peak.....its effect on the lighter car...other than a bit more torque.....will not be ideal and can probably be matched by a highly tuned 1600 with injection.....and can for sure be bested by a stock 411/412/914 spec 1.7L type 4 engine.

I would give it a basic strip down ....check the bearings for any obvious high mileage or debris wear.....inspect the heads for leakage at the cylinders and lap if necessary, lap the valves.....and ALWAYS replace the cam and lifters.
It is the vanagon/bus cam profile that is not well suited for smaller/lighter cars with higher gearing.

Also it will give you a chance to check the deck and compression. Getting back up to better compression, will run cooler, give better mileage and better hp and torque peak for your application. Fixing lower compression can be as simple as removing a cylinder shim or gettimg rid of a step in the head sealing area if there is one.

If you are paying someone else the high dollars to install an engine....I would not do that with a used engine that has not at least bedn lightly gone through.....eapecially not one that drove around a heavy steel bread box with low gearing for an unknown amount of miles. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

^^^ what he said.

I don't know about the 5 speed, but when I started my Type 4 conversion, I purchased a running 2L. I was also given a "junk" 1700, to strip all of the guts out of so I could have a light engine for making my motor mounts. Afterwards I was to return any unused parts. I ended up keeping the 1700 case and heads, the 2L crank and rods, and picked up some 914 P&Cs. In my opinion, when doing the swap, the most important consideration is what type of intake system you plan on running. This will determine your engine height and how you build your motor mounts. If you plan on running FI I'm pretty sure that you have to swap out everything. There are also limitations on cams. However that is Ray's department, he knows FAR more about FI than I do.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Have fitted a STD type 4 engine with twin 34 ICT Weber carbs on short stem manifolds with an standard AS beetle gearbox but fitted an longer 4th gear.

Now my car tows, gets to speed fast, can play with the "KIDS" lights to lights, and she will run 120 KPH (75mph) all day long, that's our speed limit.

All you need to do is support the engine at the back with threaded rod as you have no mustache bar brackets.

The odd 5 speed box has the same final speed as the 4 speed box, only close ratio's between gears

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

OK. Sounds like the vanagon engine is not the way to go.
So, for best value of my dollar, i could have this guy go through my current 1600 engine to shore it up and get the most of it, or invest in a stock 411/412/914 spec 1.7L type 4 engine?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
So, for best value of my dollar, i could have this guy go through my current 1600 engine to shore it up and get the most of it, or invest in a stock 411/412/914 spec 1.7L type 4 engine?

We did that on my son's project type 3. He ran it for a few years with a 1600, then 3 years ago we started the conversion to a 914 T-4 engine. We used a bus engine hanger bar, modified the ends with some angle iron, and dropped it in. We ended up getting Multi on some shorter intake manifolds, as the ones he bought from CB Performance were too tall. Last year (2017) we converted the rear of the car to IRS, to make installing the t-4 engine easier. He's very happy with the end result. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:

It really depends on what you plan on using the car for, or what type of power band you are looking for. In my opinion, the Type 1/3 based engine is quicker reving and snappier than the Type 4. However, to get the same power and drivability between the two, the Type 1/3 based engine will generally need an external oil cooler for hard or extended climbing, especially if the weather is hot. On the other hand the Type 4 is more of a torquer, and pulls much harder, plus it doesn't any additional cooling needs.

Read my write up in my signature section, even though I have an auto trans, it "may" help you decide.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:

Well....thats not exactly what I was saying. The vanagon engine is essentially a type 4 engine....and a type 4 engine makes an EXCELLENT transplant to a type 3.

However.....just dropping the vanagon engine in without changing its specs....is not ideal.

If you you willing to rebuild an engine....and you have the vanagon engine....it would be a great candidate. But.....price the parts and work. If its outside your budget....a well built 1600 or a 1776 with the type 3 cooling system and stock injection or twin carbs is excellent also in these cars. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'll mention that I have an auto tranny now. Have thought about going manual. But, really like not having to shift.
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'll mention that I have an auto tranny now. Have thought about going manual. But, really like not having to shift.

Really...the automatic is geared pretty well final drive wise....especially for a bit more hp than stock in a fairly light car.

Many people think they are a dog compared to a manual....but most of those in type 3's saying this...only had a 66hp type 1 engined automatic combo...usually with 30 years plus of engine wear, transmission not being re-tuned for shift point pressure and band adjustments...not to mentioned paired with D-jet with spotty tuning.

Just going to a type 4 engine...1.7L..even with the same D-jet system...you get about 16 more hp and more torque and teh automatic brightens up. It is better also when you do the shift point and band maintenance....and....find an 010 torque converter from a bus that raises the lock up point on take off a few hundred rpm and it takes off like a manual. Ray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

t-royR wrote:

My wife's 70 Fastback has AT and FI, and is a fun car to drive. It's more like a go kart. Working the throttle lets you down shift on command.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Found a 914 1.7 L engine from a 73'. any thoughts on how good a fit that would be in my 69 fastback?
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

it is a 1700. not sure if it is 1.7L. came from a 914 or a type 4
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Build your 1600 into a 1776 with stock fuel injection & save yourself a lot of Type 4/used parts problems.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Having an automatic trans makes the conversion SOO much easier. It will mate up to the trans with no modification. However, the bottom line is, what is the condition of the donor engine? Did you hear it run, can you do a compression check on it? Are there any repair receipts? If you can start with a good core, the rebuild cost is not that much more then a Type 3 / 1 style engine, since they are more robust. If you can start with a good core engine, and have the skills to install it yourself, you will be very happy with it. However, just like any used engine, I would tear it down, and take a look, and freshen as needed. If you don't mind me asking, what are they asking for the engine? Also, look for any numbers stamped on the case, and we may be able to find what it came out of.
My builds
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

engine is $500.00. not installed in a car, so can't hear it run. looks nearly complete (no exhaust). It is fuel injected. Looks clean and owner indicates it moves freely by hand, and there is compression.
That is all i know, but the price seems pretty good, either way (roll the dice!)
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

I hope you do realize that it is not just a bolt in and go affair, as found on my own conversion. There are lots of threads on here with with conversions - Ray, Clatter, Angelo to name a few. Use the search function and begin reading.

There are a couple things you need to find or make first:

Rear engine hanger - bus works, but you have to make brackets to mount to the body.

Type 4 flex plate and hardware- uses five bolts in place of the gland nut

Cooling air intake - use a type 4 automobile (if you can find both pieces) or fab your own, the drawing should be on here somewhere

Exhaust - I went fill vintage speed headers and muffler, as I will be running a gas heater for heat. If you want to run heater boxes, you can read thru the last ten pages of Clatters black fastback build.

Fuel system - I will be starting with carbs, so I cut down some stock manifolds and welded them to get them to fit under the deck. If you are staying with injection, you will need to fab an air cleaner of sorts and possibly source the correct computer (not sure if a stock type 3 will work)

Based on what you have and what you can fab yourself, you could be looking at easily another $500-$1000 for the parts(depending on what exhaust you want) and if you have to pay someone to do the fab work, then the sky could potentially become the limit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t-royR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am trying to measure my likelihood of success with this upgrade. I am not a mechanic. But, i have been bringing barn-finds back to life for a number of years now. I can install an engine and go through the FI system to find and correct issues. I've pulled fuel tanks and cleaned; etc. all the stuff needed to get one rolling and running. I do have access to a professional welder at no cost (other than material). I also have time. The car runs fine now (painting it in the spring). So, i could work on the engine on a stand for a good 10 months, while I drive with the existing stock engine.

I do have a local guy who does nothing but re-build air cooled engines. Should i hit him up for cost of giving mine a re-build, instead of the 914 engine? I am just looking for a bit more gitty-up (and maybe some good sound coming out the back).
71 Ghia coupe auto-stick
71 Ghia conv
69 Fasty
74 Ghia conv
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

It’s a tough call, a lot of people choose the type iv for its reliability. For me that wasn’t a concern, living where I do, I might be lucky to put 5000kms on it a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon 2.0L into Type 3 Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
It’s a tough call, a lot of people choose the type iv for its reliability. For me that wasn’t a concern, living where I do, I might be lucky to put 5000kms on it a year.

Agreed, it is a tough call. Contact your engine builder friend and see what he says. If you're going to a 1776, you're in for some machine shop work, in opening up the case and heads. You'll find that you're going to have 1000 bucks into building it easily. I only say 1776, because that's the limit with keeping the stock FI set up (it runs out of air into it with the FI plumbing). If you want to go larger than that (say an 1835) you'll need to go carbs, and maybe an add on oil cooler.

Going to the t-4 engine could cost you a similar amount, and still be mostly used parts.
The nice thing about my son's engine is the dome pistons, the shim removal at the head, and that it was re-rung and cylinder were cross hatched before getting fired up for his use (all of Ray's recommendations). Everything else was used parts. For the mounts, we used 71 t-3 Squareback engine hangers, a bus engine hanger bar, and some angle iron to get it to accept the t-3 hangers (the entire rear of the car was converted to IRS). All of this was done in my garage to help keep costs down where ever possible (he even did the welding). Even the Weber 34 ICT's were off his old 1600 engine. Like Clatter, he's currently running 411/412 heater boxes, and using a German made bus muffler. It's pretty quiet, but also goes pretty good. He likes that the T-4 engine has a built in oil filter, and that it seems almost as simple to set up as the t-3 engine he had in it. Quite a few of the parts he's using I collected back in the mid 2000's, but never used. He's actually using the 1.7L to get more familiar with the T-4, before he builds a 2L engine to replace it (already has a 2.0L long block here, just needs to be gone thru and get a cam change 1st).

If you've got 10 months to slowly go thru it, I'd go that route, as you can take your time finding bits and pieces, and spread out the time collecting them. In the end though, it's YOUR call.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: