Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sitting on roof ... why?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
micparsons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

Been meaning to ask for sometime, what is the rationale for sitting on roof box above driver/passenger seat. I see it all the time in articles, #vanlife photos, etc. ... usually the person looks like the fell out of a Patagonia advertisement. Its not the easiest getting up there and god forbid my 5yr son sees me or someone else up there as there goes my windshield wipers and mirrors busted off! Only thing that kind of made sense was beach parking lot to get a better view of surf ... but I see photos in deserts, forest, night, etc. that don’t seem to have any purpose for climbing up there ... just wondering what I am missing out on?!

Mike
‘90 Westy
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

micparsons wrote:
but I see photos in deserts, forest, night, etc. that don’t seem to have any purpose

That's #vanlife for you! Laughing
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

Because half naked girls on the roof of cars gets likes. Remember when Fast and furious first came out and half naked girls would spread across the hood of civics. Same same but different.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

micparsons wrote:
Been meaning to ask for sometime, what is the rationale

There is none. Just for likes
Nice way to damage things though.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

micparsons wrote:
.... usually the person looks like the fell out of a Patagonia advertisement.

You say it like it's a bad thing. LOL.

Images of people standing, sitting on the roof/poptop/luggage rack does potentially set a poor precedent. But then in my case, a Patagonia model will be at least 1/2 my weight. Twisted Evil

IIRC, the owners manual specs a load limit for the Westy luggage rack.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
half naked

Half naked, sitting in the luggage rack... depending on which half is naked, perhaps they think it's a toilet?
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

micparsons wrote:
... just wondering what I am missing out on?!

They’re plugging their drain holes to prep for filling with hot water. Were told makes a great (tho shallow) hot tub!

We just haven’t heard about it yet #vanlife is that far ahead of the curve Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

When my kids were little they loved unzipping the screen and climbing out onto the roof in front. It gave them an elevated outdoor vantage point. Kind of like going out on the balcony of a house, but better. Have you tried it recently?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

Westies are the wrong VW model for a tub.
Much more fun with room for more than one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark

Alaskaberrys wrote:

They’re plugging their drain holes to prep for filling with hot water. Were told makes a great (tho shallow) hot tub!

We just haven’t heard about it yet #vanlife is that far ahead of the curve Wink
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

In Texas we have feral hogs.

My brother and I took the van on a hog hunt on a ranch near the border with Mexico. Rough country.

These hogs are a menace and will destroy property, so they are open season throughout the year, and can even be taken with suppressed firearms. They reproduce faster than we can kill them. They make a good stew in the crock pot.

Anyway, you need to get the hog on the first shot, or else that animal will chase after you. Fair enough.

We hunted from the luggage rack of the van at one point, just to be safe.

Imagine a man with a Winchester .30 caliber scoped rifle, in the kneeling firing position in the luggage rack of a silver 91 Westy, with another man waiting in the doorway with a backup rifle. That's about as opposite of half naked models as I can think of. I think I was wearing some Patagonia, though. I am not a handsome man.

Should have taken a photo. We are going again in February--I'll followup later if I get a picture this time.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

micparsons wrote:
..... Only thing that kind of made sense was beach parking lot to get a better view of surf ...

#blameWoodstock

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

If you want a real thrill, take your luggage rack off and have a look at the stuff that's stuck under there.

After you've finished laughing, glue up some 1/4" wire mesh under the drain holes. Bob will be your uncle.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

I once let my kids climb up in the luggage rack/tub .. Later, when I took it off to clean under it, I lost my grip and it slipped about 3 inches to fall on its' corner in the loamy grass in the summer. Well, lets say I was pretty upset when i was putting it back up on top and noticed that I had broken that corner in that tiny little accident.

The climbing up on that top will not happen again, for anyone who has had any similar situation occur or any other damage happen to their tops..

-bobby
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

A few of us old farts post photos of ourselves on the roof and I bet that fad would disappear quick. Also pics of the fire-truck rescue etc. Very Happy Very Happy

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
A few of us old farts post photos of ourselves on the roof and I bet that fad would disappear quick.

Maybe GoWesty would do a special edition calendar?

#eewww

Dad re-creates his teen daughter’s selfies – bare tummy, tattoo and all

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article86414057.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

We hunted from the luggage rack of the van at one point, just to be safe.

kourt

A sunroof van would be perfect for feral hog hunting.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
When my kids were little they loved unzipping the screen and climbing out onto the roof in front. It gave them an elevated outdoor vantage point. Kind of like going out on the balcony of a house, but better. Have you tried it recently?

Exactly! Kids love the feeling that an elevated vantage point offers - and the luggage rack's the perfect challenge. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

One word: central Wyoming campground cell phone antenna booster:

Oops...counted wrong... Embarassed Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

I like how the cosmic asterisks enhance the cell tower theme. ( Cool )

— Colin Chapman
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sitting on roof ... why? Reply with quote

About those feral hogs. On a 4 day kayak trip, a friend described this company called "Pork Choppers". I called bullshit for 3 days. I couldn't believe it until I googled it once I got home. Helicopters + machine guns +rednecks = hundreds of dead pigs. F'n crazy.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: