Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coworkers coming to work sick :(
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

^^^^^^^ R ewe Related 2 mark tucker?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

What we might have here is guys who have jobs that provide perks that they might be taking for granted. I'm 56 and have never worked for a place that provides paid sick days. I can kinda understand where some would get pissed if a coworker shows up sick, mainly if you work in close proximity with regular contact. At my job I'm by myself 90% of the time and we regularly come in sick because we don't want to waste our vacation days just because we don't feel good, unless we feel that bad where we can't get out of bed. It's a common understanding that if one of us is sick we give them room because we know at some point in time we'll be in the same situation.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
180 days of sick leave?

I retired with 242 days of accumulated sick leave. I earned 13 sick leave days a year. The typical 40 hour work week is 260 working days a year.

I will tell all you Fed Gov't workers that mathmatically you are far better off burning up your sick leave than saving it and converting to service time. Those 242 days only gets me $50 more a month in retirement pay.

Well, 50 bucks a month is $600/year x 30 or 40 years that you'll live after you retire.
So 18 to 24 Grand ain't nothin' to sneeze at.
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
180 days of sick leave? Shocked

That's cumulative over 22 years. We were given about 10 days of sick leave per year. I averaged taking two per year. There were probably 8 - 10 years when I did not take any sick leave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

doregan wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

That's cumulative over 22 years. We were given about 10 days of sick leave per year. I averaged taking two per year. There were probably 8 - 10 years when I did not take any sick leave.

OK, so 10 days of paid sick days per year is 2 extra weeks of paid vacation per year. That's an pretty good perk! Good for anyone that has that benefit but not everyone does, so take that into consideration when people come to work sick.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

For a few years, I was eligible as well for a ton of sick days each year as well. But unused days were not able to be saved, or any benefit to the employee. Company did away with this, went to 1 week sick and maybe manager discretion.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

For a few years, I was eligible as well for a ton of sick days each year as well. But unused days were not able to be saved, or any benefit to the employee. Company did away with this, went to 1 week sick and maybe manager discretion.

If the company is offering paid sick days and you can't carry them over, why would an employee not use them? Confused
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

I worked for the same company for 34+ years.
In the 80's 10 days paid sick leave a year, 5 short bank, 5 long bank.
You were expected never to use the long bank, unless you had serious illness,
at that point you would use up your long bank, before you went on disability.
it was some-what common that some people would take their whole 5 day short bank, as soon as they got it for the year.
In the 90's the branch of the company when from 27,000 people on site to less than 9000 people. Shocked
A lot of things changed in the 90's, mostly the attitude of my fellow employees,
those of us that remained actually work, and give a damned about it.
In the 2000's we merged with another large company, since then, we lose a little of our benefits every year.
But to be honest we still have a really good benefits package compared to most employers.
We are allowed 5 days sick leave a year.
When I have a cold that I could spread, you know it, I stay home for a day or two, and then limit my exposure my employees for the rest of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Now here's an in-company memo to all the employees and it's regarding sick leave policy. First of all, sickness, no excuse, we will no longer accept your doctor's statement, if you're able to go to the doctor, you're able to come to work. Leave of absence, that is for an operation you might be having, we will no longer allow this practice. We wish to discourage any thought that you may need an operation. As long as you're employed here you will need of all of whatever you have and should not consider having anything removed. We hired you as you are and to have anything removed would certainly make you less than what we bargained for. Additionally, too much time is being spent in the restroom. In the future we will go to the restroom in alphabetical order. For instance, those whose names begin with A will go from 8am to 8:05am, B will go from 8:05am to 8:10am and so on. If you're unable to go at yourt ime you will need to wait until the day your turn comes again. Death other than your own. This is no excuse, you can do nothing for them and we're sure that someone else in a lesser position can attend the arrangements. However, if the funeral can be held in the late afternoon, we will be glad to let you off one hour early provided that your share of work is done ahead of time to keep the job going in your absence. Death, your own, this will be an accepted excuse but we would like at least a two-week notice as we feel it is your duty to teach someone else your job.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Paid sick leave? Banked sick leave? Cumulative sick leave? Converting sick leave to service time? Sick leave sold back? 40 hour work weeks? 5 weeks vacation pay?

Can you spell P-A-M-P-E-R-E-D? Shocked

Holy Crap! Rolling Eyes

With the exception of one short stint that had a bit of a benifit package (but didn't pay a living wage) all 45+ years of my working life have been "Drag your sorry butt to work you wimp, there's bills to pay and a job to keep!" and you will be there until the job is done or they pack you off site in a pine box!

As for productivity while feeling a bit off, I have always been paid by what I produce not how many hours it takes. It's a great equalizer!

And - how the heck can you develop a strong immune system having never been exposed to anything?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Hahha... Im more worried about the soccer mom and her 3 crumb crunchers rolling dumpsters I have to deal with... than any one at work.. Laughing

Im so glad I dont man a cash register or deal with the physical public much.. avoid it at my own risk.

If Im sick.. which thankfully is rare... I'll either take off no pay.. or go to work to build my immune system even further.
Usually only stay out sick if I have a fever..
I work pretty much alone.. wear "rubbers" .. gloves that is.. wash my gloves so I can keep working (and save money).. and wash my hands often..
Im sure it helps the most..

I get PTO days.. earn 2 on the 15th of every month so 24 days total ...
Zero holiday pay, zero sick pay. If you I want paid for time off I have to use those earned days.. .. if I dont want paid.. I dont have to use them.. can only carry over 5 days to the next year.
So damn skippy I'm using them for sunny days.. or vacation..

Save for rainy days.. dont live paycheck to paycheck.. and wash ya damn hands people.

There are some nasty fuckers out there .... and I am the first to call you out in a restroom.. whether you shake or squat... and then not wash .. uggh.. Sick

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Don't make me block you too! Very Happy
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Jealous?

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Paid sick leave? Banked sick leave? Cumulative sick leave? Converting sick leave to service time? Sick leave sold back? 40 hour work weeks? 5 weeks vacation pay?

Can you spell P-A-M-P-E-R-E-D? "Drag your sorry butt to work you wimp, there's bills to pay and a job to keep!" and you will be there until the job is done or they pack you off site in a pine box!

if I'm sick, I'm sick. boss/owner/manager can GFTS. I don't perform well with snots bleeding out of my eyes and ears....

pay me...or don't. that's when "wage compensation" comes in. "skills, where did that transmission go" don't know Anxious

worked with an old guy...he coined the phase where I worked. he said "wage compensation, because if you don't steal it, someone else will"

still, I am amazed how many seem to live paycheck to paycheck. days off/sick time is a benefit....either pay me an assload of money so I can afford to be out for a week, or pay me going rate with some days off...and don't dictate how/when I can use them.

told an old service manager "I came here looking for a job, i'll leave looking for one"

and companies wonder why no one wants to work for them....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
either pay me an assload of money so I can afford to be out for a week, or pay me going rate with some days off...and don't dictate how/when I can use them.

I have been saying this for years. I don't want benefits. Pay me whatever those benefits would cost the company and let me make my own benefits.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

One of the biggest lies of my life was when the teachers at school said "You can be in life anything you want to be."

Ha!! Wrong!

You can be whatever there is a market for Buddy! And it ain't always going to be a cushy job because there just aren't enough of those for everyone to have one.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

I work with sick people all the time. Just wash your hands and don't be touching anybody and stick those same hands in your food. Laughing

Sick days are even more limited now at my workplace...you only get 5 absences. You have to wait till the tail end of you the first sick day you took to drop off before you can again. And if you are on the 5 already - you will get your warning. A 6th is a pink slip.

I work in a hospital - if I find anyone snivelling, snot coming down, I stay away. I don't even shake hands w/ my friends at work. Wash hands every time.

And stop kissing people you don't know. Laughing
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

This is why I prefer to work for smaller companies. After I prove my value and earn trust, there are no real rules.

Yesterday I asked my boss how much time I had to take off for Christmas, because our client is shutting down for a week and a half. His response was, "take whatever time you need." I have only worked for him since August.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

LOL, Jack. I remember that. Cool I figure I have a pretty good immune system, I haven't missed a day for sickness in years. I figure that if I'm sick, I am definitely staying home because if something made me sick, it would probably kill someone else. Razz
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Coworkers coming to work sick :( Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
no he isant but if you come to fl Ill be glad to blow you a kiss if Im sick...or find somebody that is to do it for me. and if somebody comes to work sick try to make them as miserable feeling as possible. and if there useless fire them. if your sick satay home. or be sure to breathe real good on the boss and shake his hand as often as possible.or her hand.and kiss it too. be sure to sneeze in their coffee. and for gods sake be sure the firing order is 4321432143214321432143214321 zoom zoom zoom!!!and then drive through the bosses foliage, zunderfuly fast!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: