Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door window scraper gap
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

Hey all, 1st time doing this so not sure if its right.

Using the ISPWest door kit for my 73, the scrapers have some gap between themselves and the window glass. Like they never touch, which really doesn't seem right. What am I missing here?

Also any tips for getting the new felt to slide better?

Thanks
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

any pictures of the kit installed? They should be fairly tight against the glass on both sides without binding.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

I was going to ask the same thing, any pics of them installed? As for the "U" channel pieces, you might try hitting them with silicone spray.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

yea silicone helped that, thanks.

Confused on the scrapers still. The 'clips' for the scrapers...i used the ones that came with the kit for the outers and the original ones off the door for the inner. Didn't use ISP's for the inner as suggested by some on here.

The outer overlaps the vent post and I could trim that, but the inner slots in right infront of the vent post, so that seems like its where it should be.

Do these scrapers need to be massaged or the clips adjusted to bring them towards the center of the door?

Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

Without actually having them in front of me, I can't tell you exactly what's going on. Did you have to make new slices into the inner rubber for the wire? Did you get the end to fit correctly? Just asking as you have to turn it 90* before inserting it into the door.
As for the outer scrappers, did you have to drill and rivet them on? Or were they "pre-assembled"? Just asking, as it looks almost like someone used some screws to hold the metal strip and scrapper to the door. It also looks like they were installed a little forward of where they should go. In reality, the forward rubber end should end just before the chrome upright piece, or the felting. I prefer to use the original clips, as they fit best.
At the rear, the "U" channel piece (glass run channel) needs to be fully seated, and slightly spread out (I use a paint stick for doing that), so that it sits almost flush with the metal door part. The black metal clips have a tab that goes into a hole in both the door and the outer scrapper trim piece. The clips hold the outer trim in place, and the glass run channel into the large gap, filling the gap. Hence why I use a paint stick to open the gap in the glass run channel, and use it to help seat it into the clips.

Going off your pics, I'd say you got the wrong glass run upright channel, as according to Michael from ISP, there are 2 sizes, 1 for early, and 1 for late cars. And it looks like you have a late piece in an early car.
Your rubber pieces are both too far forward. And it looks like you have a twist in the big glass run channel.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
padgett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

Ok, scrapers are preassembled brazillian from ISPWest

Cut and modified nothing, just put them on there as they came.

also, car is a 73 and the kit was for a late model. Thanks for the response.

I called up ISPWest today and asked them if they were aware of this issue and could give me any ideas on how to fix it. Basically the response I got was some doors are not great due to being old, and i should try to bend the scraper to bring it in some...but in reality i'll probably have to live with it.

Don't want to live with it.

If theres anything else anyone can give me...or maybe a german made scraper being better, let me know. Otherwise im off to go bending.

thanks all
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

This isn't the ultimate solution, but you can help avoid damage by noting the following:
1) Even perfectly-fitting seals will let water and dirt into the door interior. This is normal.
2) Take the door card off, and do two things:
a) vacuum out the bottom well of the door and clear all drains.
b) install the plastic sheeting correctly to keep water off the door cards. Better yet, use two sheets, overlapping near the bottom (there are threads about doing this right)
This doesn't close the gap, but it avoids rust and door card ruination from what DOES get down there.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Door window scraper gap Reply with quote

padgett wrote:
Ok, scrapers are preassembled brazillian from ISPWest

Cut and modified nothing, just put them on there as they came.

also, car is a 73 and the kit was for a late model. Thanks for the response.

I called up ISPWest today and asked them if they were aware of this issue and could give me any ideas on how to fix it. Basically the response I got was some doors are not great due to being old, and i should try to bend the scraper to bring it in some...but in reality i'll probably have to live with it.

Don't want to live with it.

If theres anything else anyone can give me...or maybe a german made scraper being better, let me know. Otherwise im off to go bending.

thanks all

AH, ok, I see why they don't fit worth a darn then. Have a look at this page
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=340
as I used a pair of used T-3 inner rubbers installed on some used German outer trim. Granted there are some waves in the rubber, they did eventually smooth out after sitting in the sun for a week or 2. I should add that this was my 1st time using inner rubbers for outers. It seemed the lip for the seal was shorter than using bug outer rubber seals that were removed from NEW 68-77 bug outer trims that I've used in the past. Tram said he's done this before (using bus inner rubbers for outer rubber scrapers). If you still have your old T-3 German trims, you could drill rivets out of both sets, and replace the rubber parts and rivet them back on like I showed on page 18 of my 71 Notch build thread (direct link above).

As for the kit being for a late model, it's for a 68-73, as those are "late" models. Some will say 70-73 are "late" models too due to the larger front trunk. But even still, it should fit fine (if it were German trims), except Brazilian type 3s door scrapers and trims are differently shaped. Keep in mind that bending the rubber part toward the glass won't help, as it's clipped to the steel door lip with those triangle clips.

I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: