Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky pushrod tube....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

Quick question....my pushrod tube by #3 cylinder has a pretty steady drip. Is there an adjustable pushrod tube made for a permanent solution? If so, who makes that product and do I do an entire side or just the one that's giving me problems?

Thanks in advance!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

I used some SCAT expandable pushrods and they sealed good, but you have to buy a set of 8. The plastic ones you can find are temporary fixes to get you home, but will fall apart from the heat and oil.

If you use the SCAT ones, pay particular attention to the end that goes in the head. That end of the tube is not cut square and you can rotate it to better match the angle that the tube goes into the head, or not notice and have 8 sprinkler heads under your motor Embarassed ........ask me how I know Crying or Very sad Embarassed

brad
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

I personally have not had good luck with the Scats, but others have. I have never heard anything bad about Jaycees though.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

I have only installed the Jaycees. You can get them from Cb Performance. They seep a little but if done with care are virtual dry.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

So they can be a relatively long term solution?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

The only fix I know is to pull the heads and do them over pushrod tubes.

Anything 2-piece in there will leak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

OEM installed correctly are hard to beat.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

You can replace just the leaky one with a stock one. You can even leave the head on. Stretch it out and bend the side up into head. Then straighten whole tube. I believe VW had a bulletin on it.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

In abind, and trying to get through inspection, i used one of those spring-loaded plastic ones i keep for emergencies.

It was still on at the next inspection, over 2 years, no problems. Stockish bus engine, though.

Just because it's plastic doesn't necessarily men it aill melt: these days, intake manifolds are plastic. The original VW cam gaer was plastic (well, sorta).

But yeah, it looks cheap, and it is, and to make sure it was oiltight, i used a lot of Curil where things join inside the tube..

And like they said, the best solution is, as usual, is the hardest/longest: pull the head Crying or Very sad .

I did those alloy tubes back in the day, because they looked cool, and it was yet another place to throw money at the engine...now it's stock or nothing, and ive never looked back.

But that's jusr me.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

I have had a set of empi tubes on mine for over a year with no leaks but I also used the soft silicone gaskets. If you do get some I suggest the jaycees ones. They will last you forever with a pack of orings and seals.
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tube.... Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: