Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And not one vanagon....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

As Vw goes Maybe old is better. Never thought to see so many new vw in a bone yard.
www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2018/...alifornia/
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Vashon wrote:
As Vw goes Maybe old is better. Never thought to see so many new vw in a bone yard.
www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2018/...alifornia/

That's insane.
I know VW should be slapped around for what they did, but scrapping thousands of perfectly good cars????
Those cars could be resold to needy buyers and old crappy cars taken off the road.
By the way, Subaru got caught doing the same thing.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

By the time this whole sad affair is over, any manufacturer using Bosch (and perhaps other sources of) engine management soft/hardware will be implicated. I have no doubt "scenario adaptablility" was a selling point for the iteration of ECUs in question. VAG got busted, but others will follow,as they all knew about this "feature". Such a waste, especially since those vehicles are amazing performers, both for power output and reduced fuel consumption.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

...some conspiracy theory "expert" will decode a message in the color coded arrangement of the cars that holds the key to high fuel mileage.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Quote:
“By capturing scenes like this one, I hope we will all become more conscious and more caring for our beautiful planet,” says Todorov.

As quoted from the article. All I get is a feeling of senseless Irony.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

possibly in 25? years when thy become "classics" they will re-appear since they won't have to pass emissions.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

I’ve driven past the TDI lot near Colorado Springs. It’s amazing to see all of them.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Obviously by my following question, I am completely uneducated on the situation... But I frequently pass by a much smaller storage lot of Volkswagen recalled cars near Antioch, California and I was wondering...

Question Why were they not allowed to simply re-program or install different ECUs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

I thought I read somewhere that they can fix some and sell them but they are doing it slowly so as not to flood the market.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Not really a Vanagon topic unless we're yanking those engines to put into our vans, right?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Local Pick-n-Pull in Virginia Beach has a contract to hold any they get.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Not really a Vanagon topic unless we're yanking those engines to put into our vans, right?

Guilty as charged. My only defense is that of all the millions of VW's impounded not one was a Vanagon. I never thought of mabe using a motor. That's a good idea. I was just at the time thinking how lucky I was to have a charismatic anachronism called a vanagon..untouched by modern political correctness.
I love my van.

Tim
87 westy
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
I’ve driven past the TDI lot near Colorado Springs. It’s amazing to see all of them.

We drove past that lot this past summer too. I was feeling sad seeing all of those cars, as I sold my 2012 TDI SportWagen back to VW, and I really miss it. I used the money to buy my Westy. Here they are together on the day I sold it back to the dealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now there is a Vanagon in this thread Razz
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

All I can see is big blob of blur on the right and a plane on the left.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

This will eventually go down in history as one of the most idiotic attempts at cleaning up pollution ever done in North America. To take tens of thousands of the most fuel efficient cars ever off the road to be replaced by fuel hogging pickup trucks and SUVs that burn 3 to 4 times the fuel?

Stupidity knows no bounds!
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

I don't know when this photo was taken, but there were 3 groups of TDi being repurchased.
Early ones that can't be economically made to pass required standards
Ones that will require modification to vehicle & software to pass required standards.
Latest ones, that will require removal of bad software, but should not require vehicle modifications.
Group1 cars have all likely been scrapped already.
Group 2 & 3 cars are being modified, and resold.
VW is doing this in a manner that will not flood the market, so this will take VW a while to do.
Purchase of a Group 2 & 3 TDi will come with an issue that nobody knows whether or not the more frequent cycling of the emission system
(than as originally designed) will affect system reliability over time.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Do you have any proof they are being resold here or is it purely speculation?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Do you have any proof they are being resold here or is it purely speculation?

Not Speculation, I was really interested, and followed this VW fiasco in the news from day one.
Here is a sample, but I don't know Canadian Postal Zones, or where in Canada you live, so I used my US Zip code.
https://vwcpo.com/inventory/condition=used/stat=CPO
enter zip code, and sort by year.
First 4 rows of cars that showed up were ALL VW TDi.
When you pull up the car fax, these cars show buy-back ownership as
AUBURN HILLS, MI, and there is a long period of time were the mileage history show the car only traveling 200-ish miles in 18 months.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

Our postal code doesn't work and none of the ones that do show up are TDIs.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: And not one vanagon.... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Our postal code doesn't work and none of the ones that do show up are TDIs.

Dixie VW
5500 Dixie Road, Unit G Mississauga, ON L4W 4N3
Sales: 1 8883103907
Service: (844) 477-4157
https://401dixievolkswagen.ca/tdi-models-for-sale.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: