Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeycusick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone has had success with getting 3 point seat belts mounted for the rear seat in a 1973 convertible super beetle. I know the vehicle came with lap belts, but with two kids, I would prefer to have the shoulder belt as well. Any thoughts, suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

Has anyone done this? I need to do this very same thing.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

I can’t imagine it without something higher up, like a roll bar. Without something like that, you have no point of attachment.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

Im doing this now in a 79. If you remove the back seat you will see 3 points of attachment (at least on my vert there is). This includes one that is high enough up for the upper mounting point
BWingate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

Where are you getting your seat belts from - I've tried a couple of different styles and nothing is working right.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

I just ordered the generic retractable ones from j bugs.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

Could you post photos of the three points you found behind the back seat?
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

My 71 vert also came with 3 attachment points for belts. But, probably intended for 3 point static belts.

There is one point on the back firewall under the rear window which is covered with a black plastic screw and washer. One point is the rear seatback hinge screw. And 3rd is under the seat near the tunnel opening.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

I figured the Lao belt points were two of the points. Just didn't realize where the shoulder loop would be. The convertible that I am looking at to buy has been redone so I think the third point might be under the carpet.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

I'll post pics but it will be a bit as the body is off while I replace the pans.
jmedwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from the gallery showing the 3rd mount point. The first pic is from my 76 SB convertible. I used the static seat belts and while they do work they can be a hassle to adjust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Convertible Super Beetle rear seat belts Reply with quote

Today, my shoulder belts arrived from Wesco Performance. Were a bit spendy, but they matched the interior, matched the front seat belts already installed by the PO and allowed installation to the rear firewall.

I was lucky that I managed to find that the PO, when they redid the entire car, didn't need to cut out the area in the rear firewall where the factory mounts for shoulder belts were for convertibles. So I was able to just "plug and play".

I used photos from the gallery to estimate where the holes should be and pulled back the interior carpet and did some exploration until I found the threaded mounts. Took my time and was able to cover back up with the carpet for a very neat installation.

At this time, I do not feel that they interfere with the top being lowered, but if they do, I can flip the retractors over and gain that space.

Now the Grandkids can cruise with Grandpa! Very Happy

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: