Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

whip618 wrote:
Four inches of snow prior to our hunt made the roads very slick and muddy but the syncro pulling a trailer never missed a beat, did not even need to engage the rear locker in all the mud. I love my syncro.

Phil

👍
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Rob me of $888.65 on Black Friday.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Same here. Robbed me of $450. Nothing fun was bought either =\.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Decided that the slave cylinder and line had enough....and dumped all my brake fluid in the driveway. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Same here. Robbed me of $450. Nothing fun was bought either =\.

Same, with the exception of a complete carpet kit, the other items will sit on the workbench waiting for the current part to break.
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled the Christmas trees home.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The Toy blew its altnator bearing.. So, Flossie got me to work (and daughter to school) on time this AM. Not ideal to take Floss out with the salted roads, but I'll give her a wash and put her away again when the Toy's alt and serpentine belt gets replaced. (Sure hope nothing else is wrong with that Toy...)

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Just back from a few days at Jalama beach. We had to evacuate the beach on Sunday at 05:00 because of a Falcon 9 launch from Vandenberg Airforce Base - but that got cancelled, so we had to evacuate again on Monday! It's a 14 mile slow (40 minute) twisty drive to get out of the evacuation zone. We found a brilliant place to watch the launch from - we could see the launch pad. A cloudless sky meant the 10:32 launch was visible all the way through to the first stage landing on a drone barge out at sea. Just about worth getting up at 04:30 for - but not twice in a row!

The Tuesday night storm with 50mph gusts was quite exciting being parked on the beach just a few yards away from the Pacific with the top up and wasserstopper on.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Just back from a few days at Jalama beach. We had to evacuate the beach on Sunday at 05:00 because of a Falcon 9 launch from Vandenberg Airforce Base - but that got cancelled, so we had to evacuate again on Monday! It's a 14 mile slow (40 minute) twisty drive to get out of the evacuation zone. We found a brilliant place to watch the launch from - we could see the launch pad. A cloudless sky meant the 10:32 launch was visible all the way through to the first stage landing on a drone barge out at sea. Just about worth getting up at 04:30 for - but not twice in a row!

The Tuesday night storm with 50mph gusts was quite exciting being parked on the beach just a few yards away from the Pacific with the top up and wasserstopper on.

So very cool! I really want to watch one of these launches someday soon. Did you get any good pics?
Lucky you to see the return of the first stage onto the barge. Whatever anyone may say about Elon, you have to give him big credit for doing something that no government space programs can do.
(I like what he's doing with Tesla, but wish they would develop a simpler/cheaper version.)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
fxr wrote:

So very cool! I really want to watch one of these launches someday soon. Did you get any good pics?
Lucky you to see the return of the first stage onto the barge. Whatever anyone may say about Elon, you have to give him big credit for doing something that no government space programs can do.
(I like what he's doing with Tesla, but wish they would develop a simpler/cheaper version.)

Have you looked at the couple who redid their syncro with a tesla drivetrain? That is my dream!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
fxr wrote:

No pics of the launch - I reckoned there'd be enough other pics and videos online that we'd be better off just experiencing it. Although we were some miles from the launchpad, it was LOUD!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hey jimf909... about 160 miles left to hit 290,000 ... you still adding miles ? Wink I might just make it to 290K before my Toy gets fixed (Told my shop guy to take his time, as there are no storms inbound as of now, salted roads are relatively dry)

Here is Flossie this AM, I just had to find a good spot to pull over and see how a shot in this AMs' hoarfrost would turn out Wink

EDIT [below orig. pic. in this post]

Jimmy.. ... .. I'm commin' for ya. I'm commin' for ya Jim!

Just about as far south as the sun will get, sunrise at about 7:34, had to stop for this shot. Floss was happy to go! And it was plenty warm for a nap at lunch time too Smile Score!!!

Last edited by bobbyblack on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
fxr wrote:

Here's the only pic I got of a Falcon 9 launch from Cape Canaveral a few years ago. See the bright speck above the passenger door. I was on my way back from Miami when I heard an announcement on the radio about a launch upcoming in two hours so I thought I'd take a break. I'm parked on the causeway from Cocoa Beach with the cruise ships at Port Canaveral in the distance and the launch pad out of sight beyond.

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to take my usual summer vacation this year and missed out on road trip in the Syncro.
Instead, I drove it to Sacto to visit friends and family for the holidays.
Northbound over the Grapevine I encountered some slushy rain.
Despite serious headwinds N of Bakersfield on Hwy 99 I cruised at 3300 RPM +/- 70 MPH and made good time due to very light traffic.
But gas mileage suffered- 296 miles to Merced, fill up was 17.9 (!) gallons, only 16.6 MPG.
Return trip was mileage considerably better- 24.3 MPG. Though inbound LA traffic seized up over the Sepulveda Pass as usual and proceeded at a crawl to the 405, the wind was with me most of the way.
Round trip was a little over 900 miles and the Syncro purred like a kitten.

I love my Syncro!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Installed new LED lights from Transporter Werks
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

On the way to the transplant filled with heads and tons of other goodies.

Loaded
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Hey jimf909... about 160 miles left to hit 290,000 ... you still adding miles ? Wink

Ha! My transmission has been being rebuilt for what seems like the longest pit stop ever! Look out once it’s back on the road though.

p.s. I’m writing this while visiting Mom in Dodgeville, WI. We’re practically neighbors for a few days. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
... Dodgeville, WI...

Just one BIG tank of gas south of here...say "HI" to everyone!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
Hey jimf909... about 160 miles left to hit 290,000 ... you still adding miles ? Wink

e
Ha! My transmission has been being rebuilt for what seems like the longest pit stop ever! Look out once it’s back on the road though.

p.s. I’m writing this while visiting Mom in Dodgeville, WI. We’re practically neighbors for a few days. Very Happy

Funny! Got plenty of friends over there!

To my great dismay, I only got to 289982 before I had to put her away from ice/salt invasion. However, I've got a trip to Denver and I'm debating how bad it would be to try that drive this coming weekend... It would be a super sweet Valentines Vacation (just me N Flossie) ... OR, it could be a real bad decision. The Gold Highlander might get the job. I don't much like the idea as (Dusty) has no creature comforts like just pulling over and stretching out for a little nap, etc. Besides that, I have not looked at the forecast for the 14th-18th along that route... But, I think I would blow well into 291K if I dare Wink (I-35 to I-80 to I-70)

UPDATE:

I-35 Minneapolis, Thrursday leave time of 3:45Pm Temp about 20F with 40% light snow.
I-80 Corridor based on Omaha weather, overnight temps around 8 or 10F. Might shut down the engine for a short rest, perhaps 3 hours. Engine Startup temps perhaps mid teens F.
Denver Depart Monday mid-day looks to be well in the 30's or even 40F
I-80 corridor Low of 3F high of 15F
Probable Straight shot from Denver to home, likely 14 hours, giving myself a short stop for a snack, etc.

Question for y'all (I must be southern today) :: I'm running 20W50, havgine decided to leave it "in" because I don't really drive Floss when its colder( (meaning icy slush/salty). AND, that recent oil change is at most 400 miles ago.

SO... WWYD? drain and replace with 10W40 for this trip, or leave the VW in the Garage and take the Toy?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

e

Funny! Got plenty of friends over there!

To my great dismay, I only got to 289982 before I had to put her away from ice/salt invasion. However, I've got a trip to Denver and I'm debating how bad it would be to try that drive this coming weekend... It would be a super sweet Valentines Vacation (just me N Flossie) ... OR, it could be a real bad decision. The Gold Highlander might get the job. I don't much like the idea as (Dusty) has no creature comforts like just pulling over and stretching out for a little nap, etc. Besides that, I have not looked at the forecast for the 14th-18th along that route... But, I think I would blow well into 291K if I dare Wink (I-35 to I-80 to I-70)

UPDATE:

I-35 Minneapolis, Thrursday leave time of 3:45Pm Temp about 20F with 40% light snow.
I-80 Corridor based on Omaha weather, overnight temps around 8 or 10F. Might shut down the engine for a short rest, perhaps 3 hours. Engine Startup temps perhaps mid teens F.
Denver Depart Monday mid-day looks to be well in the 30's or even 40F
I-80 corridor Low of 3F high of 15F
Probable Straight shot from Denver to home, likely 14 hours, giving myself a short stop for a snack, etc.

Question for y'all (I must be southern today) :: I'm running 20W50, havgine decided to leave it "in" because I don't really drive Floss when its colder( (meaning icy slush/salty). AND, that recent oil change is at most 400 miles ago.

SO... WWYD? drain and replace with 10W40 for this trip, or leave the VW in the Garage and take the Toy?

Just take the Toyota.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 60 of 89

Jump to: