Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance Fan Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Sorry that i use this thread, but i found some numbers on my ambulance fan and i don't know what they mean? The date code???

-Christian

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Best guess is a quality inspection number. I have a set here with number 31 on them.

Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

One of my sets has 343. The rest appear to be worn off or destroyed by surface rust.

This one in the gallery has 300 on it

The stamping is a little different than the one above in font and it's not inside a little circle.
My stamping with 343 looks identical in style to the 456 one above.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

I have now listed some of the parts i made for this thread in the classified. If you are need of a harness, SWF 6V decals or a new knob i have a limited supply available.

Harnesses
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2079244

Decals
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2079245

Black Knob
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2079248[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

And now for a lesson in what not to do.

Don't drop your ambulance fan...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Ouch! If you're like me, I'll bet it seemed like an eternity passed as you watched horrified as the assembly headed down towards the floor, like you had enough time as it fell to brew a pot of coffee as it dropped, yet not enough time to get your foot in the way to deflect the inevitable impact...

Knowing you, you'll have that straightened out just fine in no time!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Ha! You know it.

You watch it falling and know the end results...
Your hands are full so you cant catch it...
You can't even stick your foot out to break the fall. It is too far away...
Time slows and you wait, wait, wait for impact.

By the time it hits the floor you have already cursed yourself a 100 times and worked through the possible outcomes......

It will rise again.... Fortunately it did not bend the bead area just the flat area. There is a double bend which is a bummer but i think it will be OK.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Some work i recently did. All of these got new motor wires, motor armature and bearings cleaned and serviced plus new motor decals. The first and last ones got full motor and behind the plate restorations while the middle just needed a clean-up. One got a switch rebuild with repro black knob.

Usually the hardest part is getting the fan blade off of the armature. It is really easy to destroy the nose and threads on the armature. I have developed a few techniques to do this and now have a reproduction fan mount block in case the fan just not come off.

Fun times. If you need yours worked on look me up.

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Some work i recently did. All of these got new motor wires, motor armature and bearings cleaned and serviced plus new motor decals. The first and last ones got full motor and behind the plate restorations while the middle just needed a clean-up. One got a switch rebuild with repro black knob.

Usually the hardest part is getting the fan blade off of the armature. It is really easy to destroy the nose and threads on the armature. I have developed a few techniques to do this and now have a reproduction fan mount block in case the fan just not come off.

Fun times. If you need yours worked on look me up.

Nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

That swr set looks familiar. I should have kept those. I bought an so23 missing it's original set a year after selling that one in matching color. Looks like it got bent too. Weird how parts travel and change hands. I had to go look, I sent those to Utah.
vwcollective
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

@EmpiGT - I must have been the one who purchased the set from you a while back. They've been in my orig paint SWR for a couple years in non-op condition and I've finally got around to having them gone through.

Matt has done a great job and communicated with me every step along the way - glad to have found someone that takes the time to do such great work - especially on something that can't be replaced!
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Guy's.

The corner of the SWR plate was bent in shipping which was a total bummer. I was able to straighten it out with minimal paint loss. I love keeping the original paint when i can. It is rare when the motor and motor bracket can be salvaged as they always seem to be rusty.

Anyways. I enjoy bringing these back to life so send me your damaged, your broken, your dirty and let me see if i can save them.

I am also always on the lookout for reasonably priced parts or damaged parts that might get a second chance at life. Anything in almost any condition Smile
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

I had fun with those testing them out. One motor spun a lot faster than the other. They were in a mango bus that had set for 35 years when I found them.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

That is pretty typical problem i fix. Usually wiring, bearings or armature problems. Sometimes it is in the actual switch. All can be fixed.

The only think i have not figured out yet is a way to convert from 6V to 12V. The wire gauge or more precise the insulation is not going to take that conversion very well and re-wiring the spindle is a big deal. One of these days i will find a motor that has no prayer for recovery and look into that conversion. For sure can be done...

I tell most people to either run a volt-a-drop or only run on the second speed. Of course how many of us actually use the fans other than a novelty??
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Another fan restored. Just the motors this time but a true 12V unit. Also was able to better match the original paint for this set.

Also learned some new tricks to restore the switch electrical.

Always learning and figuring out a better way.

12V stickers in the works and almost available.
switch shims are now available.
I found a limited source for original style switches.

I also did an deep dive into 12V vs 6V motor winding differences. I will post that later.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Wow Matt those came out great!!!

Didn't look like that when I seen them last....

Thanks....Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

What do you use to lube the motors? I’m assuming a straight non-detergent 30wt or an oil specific for small electric motors. And saturate the felt on both ends?
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

I was looking for parts for my Westfalia Unimog and came across this - maybe this could be used for an ambulance fan switch?

https://www.oldtimerbedarf.de/Lichtschalter-Drehschalter-4-Stufen

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

I can't tell if it drops the voltage like a real ambulance fan does?

You might be able to hook it up so it turns one fan on, then both, instead of 2 fans running slower at the lower speed setting
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Another fan restored. Just the motors this time but a true 12V unit. Also was able to better match the original paint for this set.

Hey Matthew, I'm planning on restoring my 12v set in Winter (and using that NOS knob from you, thanks again). What did you find out in matching the paint? Is there an off-the-shelf grey that matches closely?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: