Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 horse, 1.1:1 on intakes only. ROCKERS super loud.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: 40 horse, 1.1:1 on intakes only. ROCKERS super loud. Reply with quote

Hey guys, made some changes to my stock '65 40 horse over the past week. One was 1.1:1 rockers on the INTAKES only. **I previously had read that this change alone can add a little pep to an otherwise stock engine, and that the exhaust rockers don't need it.

While the stock rockers were apart, I polished the shafts and used the liquid moly on shafts and rockers. I replaced most of the rocker tips with new black round ones, since the old were galled. Used the same exact shafts and pushrods that were on the car...correct for that year.

Did a very precise valve adjustment this morning and fired engine. Rockers were WAY loud. After engine warmed up, part of the clackety clack-clack went away. But it still seems too loud to me.

Valves are all set to .006 ('65 sqaure boss 373 heads).
Tomorrow I plan to have another look at the rockers and verify lash.

My questions: Is this common with this modification?

When reassembling stock rocker assemblies, you have 2 thicker washers with a spring washer sandwiched between the two. Is there a difference in the stock flat washers? I tried to replicate what came off but may have mixed incorrect or incompatible parts.

Any advice from anyone that has done this is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by smitty24 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: 40 horse, 1.1:1 on intakes only. Valves super loud. Reply with quote

If you eyeball geometry do the intakes look just like the exhausts? can you feel sideplay in the rockers?
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 40 horse, 1.1:1 on intakes only. Valves super loud. Reply with quote

Do they look like them in what way? I may have jacked these up and want to fix it before driving. I was under the impression that both of my rocker stands use the same size factory shims with spring shims between. I thought this arrangement yields the proper sideplay and alignment? Were there different thicknesses of flat shims on these? If this is the situation, I need to pull them apart again and start measuring shims. The rockers had some sideplay when I cleaned/lubed and assembled the shafts. Perhaps too much. Thanks for the reply!
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 40 horse, 1.1:1 on intakes only. Valves super loud. Reply with quote

I know there are MANY guys from previous threads that converted to the later rockers. How about a simpler question: What exactly did you guys have to do to make the 1.1:1 rockers work?? I read that multiple people found running these ONLY ON INTAKES made more difference than all 8 rockers to 1.1:1. Maybe I actually need all 8 the same.

I usually do bolt together shafts on bigger engines, resetting geometry and sideplay from scratch. I NEVER use stock rockers or shafts. Part of my loud rockers may be from lack of experience with the stock parts. For example, my previous post says I do not know if the sideplay shims on stock setups are different thicknesses. I thought they were all the same and the springs provide the proper sideplay. Perhaps my new rocker tips are straight shit. I doubt they are German. Something is obviously wrong. Could the lift difference really be that different that one would NEED to shim at the stands or alter pushrod length?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: