Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorsett7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

How are you planning to do the areas behind the rear quarter Windows? Will you be using patch panels from another bug to fill the area in?
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Progress
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Boy thats gonna be one sweet ride for your daughter.
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Boy thats gonna be one sweet ride for your daughter.

Honestly, it's more for Dad and she's just humoring me by being a part of it haha. I told her that I'd teach her to drive it and she can buzz around in it... hit a cruize in or something. I don't think a chop top Beetle is an ideal first car.. especially where we live. Her first car will be a Panzer tank Very Happy
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Last weekend I was able to get the final pieces of the rear and left 1/4 windows trimmed and tacked in place. Pretty pleased with how most it fit and the general shape of things.

On Christmas eve, we didn't have alot going on here.. Kids are grown so we're not doing the sneaky parent thing anymore.. So I had some time to tinker while the girls made cookies. I had been planning how I was going to the roof skin in my head for a month...and it worked. I broke away from the traditional add a few inches at the front center and went with a near full width 24" piece.. Any wider and it would have started getting into the radius. But it worked and saved me 24" of welding. Plus I can use the mirror mount if I want.

Now I need to mark a few things and do the final cuts to fit the skin, stick in some butt weld clamps and get it tacked in place. The chop moved along pretty quick once I started. Has only taken as long as it has just because of lack of time. Won't be long till I pop the body off and add the Airkewld air ride.

Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Dantra wrote:

That roof is begging for a rag-top.
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Fiddlestyx wrote:
Dantra wrote:

[]

That roof is begging for a rag-top.

Would be cool and I did consider it.. More time, more money and more maintenance in the future. I'll have a rag someday..
dorsett7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Bump
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Haven't had much time to focus on the chop for a few weeks. Did some final fitting and began welding maybe 3 weeks ago. Alot of welding left to go.. Have some house stuff to do this weekend so i may be another week before I can get back on it...
dorsett7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Please post more pics when you have time!
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Any progress on this ?
1964 Chop Top
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Any progress on this ?

Finally back on it
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Man how time flies! Got busy and stepped away from the chop and before I knew it... I lost a year and a half!

Back at now. Everything welded up pretty nice and moved onto body work.. Which I have no experience in, so that's been a journey. I will say that at times it's maddening but most of the time it's therapeutic. I finally got to the point that I thought "man just spray some primer on it and see what it looks like". Once I did that, I found that I was being a bit too anal. I do need to do some fine tuning but for the most part, I'm very pleased. The primer pulled my focus away from things that just don't really matter.

Won't be long now until the body can come back off and the airkewld air ride can go in. Gonna chop 4" outta that beautiful front beam while I'm at it. I'll feel much more at home doing fab work than I do body work any day! Planning to get really detailed with the air ride install and do a step by step as I figure it out. There's some things that are in a bit of the Grey area with Airkewld install pdf and I've found very little info out there about the questions I have. Pete at Airkewld seems like a pretty good guy and it shouldn't be a problem getting some answers when the time comes.. But maybe some additional info in a post will help someone..

Anyway.. Here's a few shots from the weekend after spraying just some basic primer outside. Will eventually move to 2k and get my daughter involved with some blocking.

[/img]
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Body and air ride done.. putting back together

I narrowed the beam 4" and pie cut the pan while I was at it

AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Great. Very Happy . I personally like all stock ones but I like yours lol I just couldn’t unstock mine. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Great. Very Happy . I personally like all stock ones but I like yours lol I just couldn’t unstock mine. Cool
I'm headed towards a smashed version of stock lol. Gonna go with all stock interior, dash pad, chrome trim etc. It's what I have to work with Very Happy
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Dantra wrote:
...Planning to get really detailed with the air ride install and do a step by step as I figure it out. There's some things that are in a bit of the Grey area with Airkewld install pdf and I've found very little info out there about the questions I have.. But maybe some additional info in a post will help someone..

This please.

Especially with this next picture and the mods to the trailing arms.

Dantra wrote:

...and what does "pie cut the pan" mean?

Blissfully ignorant here, with no hope of acquiring the chop skills at this late age - but still dreaming of an air ride project in the bucket.

BTW I personally find the lines on this chop to be the most tasteful observed on a bug, ever. You really nailed the curve on the rear windows. The sled looks full of lead.

Thanks for sharing.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dantra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Dantra wrote:
...Planning to get really detailed with the air ride install and do a step by step as I figure it out. There's some things that are in a bit of the Grey area with Airkewld install pdf and I've found very little info out there about the questions I have.. But maybe some additional info in a post will help someone..

This please.

Especially with this next picture and the mods to the trailing arms.

...and what does "pie cut the pan" mean?

Blissfully ignorant here, with no hope of acquiring the chop skills at this late age - but still dreaming of an air ride project in the bucket.

BTW I personally find the lines on this chop to be the most tasteful observed on a bug, ever. You really nailed the curve on the rear windows. The sled looks full of lead.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the kind words!

I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed with the air ride kit.. Even tho I was sure it would be fine. Once installed, I began having doubts about this particular kit when when I noticed some flex plus read a few bad experiences of others that bent their upper supports and bars.. and customer service was "meh". In the end I came back and added additional supports and boxed the upper mounts as seen in the pic above. The instructions were practically worthless. I winged the trailing arms..and I'll post a few pics in a bit.. I don't care for how it has to be done.

Pie cut..at the bulkhead weld. you cut 3/4"-1" "V" from the top of the tunnel to the pan.. raises the nose up. Corrects caster plus adds some additional drop. I was convinced to do that at the last minute by a few guys on the Samba FB Group.

Everything here is a first for me and I'm 52.. or 3? Don't count yourself out yet brotha.
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Very cool build so far.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Father / Daughter Beetle Build. Chop and Drop!! Reply with quote

Dantra wrote:
AutoMechanic wrote:
I'm headed towards a smashed version of stock lol. Gonna go with all stock interior, dash pad, chrome trim etc. It's what I have to work with Very Happy

Lol we will call it “half stock” then lol Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: