Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanding and Rust
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

Howdy Folks,

I have an '87 vanagon and no garage. I'm gonna paint the beast in a shop space that I've got my hands on. My time in the shop will be limited. I want to do all of the bodywork and sanding in the driveway beforehand. I live on the coast with nightly marine layer and the van is usually wet in the mornings. My question is this: After I have the van sanded and ready for paint, how long do I have before I've let the demon beast that is rust in? My goal is not to sand it to bare metal because I'd rather keep the Factory zinc coating. I'm hoping to sand it over the course of a week and weekend and then paint it the following weekend.

Thoughts?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

You have to state the details more. Would a tarp keep the condensation off of it?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

As long as you prime your bare metal before you quit each day you should be alright. Bare metal will rust overnight.
Just make sure that the car is really, really dry when you do paint it.
Moisture has a way of staying in the crevices and can will really ruin your day.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

The central coast of California is a rust trap! I definitely plan on using a self etching primer on any exposed bare metal. Thanks for the input Jeffrey. I don't know how effective a tarp would be on preventing condensation. Since I'll have all the windows out it'd probably be a good idea to tarp it off anyways. Any other tips from folks?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

You can wipe/spray on phosphoric acid solution rust converters on bare metal to stop rust indefinitely.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

^^^ x2. I have my entire chassis and most of my Ghia's body in bare metal coated with Eastwood After Blast which is a cleaner/phosphoric acid solution that leaves behind an iron phosphate and zinc phosphate surface treatment. The car is kept indoors in Florida with no signs of rust. It has been that way for several months. Coat any bare metal with Ospho or Kleen Strip Prep & Etch and cover the car with a large tarp and you should be fine; even better If you primer or epoxy over the phosphoric acid treatment.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You can wipe/spray on phosphoric acid solution rust converters on bare metal to stop rust indefinitely.

Is there a brand you recommend? Or just use that chemical compound and go to auto parts tore?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

EDIT: I apologize for being repetitive. I forgot I had already provided feedback.

surfinwesty wrote:
...Is there a brand you recommend? Or just use that chemical compound and go to auto parts tore?
I used Eastwood After Blast with good results but if I had tt do it over I would go with Klean Strip prep & Etch. It is available locally at Home Depot and is a bit cheaper. Ospho is another widely used product but is a bit pricier than the other two. The Master Series product line also has a Phosphoric acid treatment available.

Here is a link to Klean Strip 1 gal. Phosphoric Prep and Etch --- $17.97. The Eastwood product is about $25.00 a Gal. + Shipping.

I covered my entire Ghia convertible body, chassis, and suspension/brake parts with just over a gallon. You can use the product to wipe down the metal until it is clean or clean the metal first then apply the phosphoric acid.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanding and Rust Reply with quote

I bought some Picklex but haven't used it yet.
https://picklex20.com/

Olli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: