Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowlight steering column too long!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

I'm putting my 56 together and it seems my column, you know the hollow rod with the splines that the steering wheel mounts on, is too long.
As far as I know, it's the original to the car. But when I mount the wheel, turn signal switch and wire cover plate it's clear it is sticking out too far.
I did some research on the site and saw Thom had this same issue and resolved it by cutting his column down 1.5 inches. Before I go that route I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and if it's something I'm doing that's is wrong.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING!!! These parts fit the car from the factory, if they no longer fit then it's due to something that is fitted incorrectly.

Check the orientation of the steering box on the beam, then the steering coupler, then make sure that the coupler clamps are correctly positioned on the splines of both the steering box & the steering shaft (These not only have splines but they also have reliefs in them that the clamp bolt passes through & this is likely where something is incorrect.).
This is a Bus steering box but the Type 1 steering box is similar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You will also need to adjust the column position at the slotted holes that attach it to the bottom of the dash.

If everything is adjusted correctly & you still have misalignment issues, then there is an issue with a bent beam or pan head.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

You may have seen these pics, perhaps not.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706281&highlight=steering+shaft
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
You may have seen these pics, perhaps not.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706281&highlight=steering+shaft

Yes I did.
I have the early style column, the one with the copper ring for the horn.
When Thom had this issue he thought maybe he had an oval window column and perhaps they are a different length. That question was never fully resolved from what I saw.
So, assuming all the early type 1 columns were the same, I agree there has to be something I am overlooking.
I will post pix later today.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

Anyone see anything wrong with the column that would explain the length issue?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

Did you pull this shaft and column combo from the car?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

The car was disassembled when I got it, it came with the car.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

I don't know if this information helps but it is a comparison of 58, 60 and 63/64 columns...
In the first photos you can see where the firewall grommet left a clean band on the columns and thus serves as some sort of datum.

john morris wrote:
When I started this endeavor I did not know that the 60/61 steering wheel was unique. I have managed to find a correct wheel and horn ring so at this point I am not sure if i will make the change. I wanted to post some pictures attempting to show the differences.

The first picture shows from top to bottom: 60 steering shaft, 63/64 steering shaft, 58 steering shaft, 60 steering column, 63/64 steering column, 58 steering column

The low light steering column is about 29 inches long

The steering shafts are actually different lengths too.

The 60 steering column (on right) uses a screw to attach the ground, the 63/64 column uses a spade connector.

Left to right, 60, 63/64, 58 there are differences here too.

The 60s steering bearing will not fit over the 58 shaft.

The 1958 steering bushing might be made to fit the 1960 column. I did not want to cut an original bushing to try. Also the 58 steering column flares at the driver end. I am sure that flare helped keep the bushing in place, if I put a cut down bushing into the 60 column it might work its way further down and cause other problems. The turn signal housing will not interchange 58 to 60, 60 to 58 because of the different widths of the columns. I could leave out a bushing or bearing but that seems dangerous, way to much slop in the steering that way. So to sum it up, it seems like all or nothing to do this swap. To do it properly I would change column, shaft, bushing, and turn signal housing. That leads to more problems because the 1960 Ghia was wired differently than the 1958 (low light). It is possible. The question is, is it worth it?

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

I dont think you can reassemble it in a manner that makes it too long. I've seen others cut the tube/shaft down to shorten it. Maybe push the seats back and see if that looks different. People that are tall may feel like its too close to them in the car
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I dont think you can reassemble it in a manner that makes it too long. I've seen others cut the tube/shaft down to shorten it. Maybe push the seats back and see if that looks different. People that are tall may feel like its too close to them in the car

The problem is the shaft causes to much of a gap between the steering wheel and the turn signal switch. The lowlights have that trim piece that covers the wiring and it simply won't reach of I push the switch out to meet the steering wheel.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

This is mine, note the gap between the wheel and column.

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

Ive never come across those trim pieces for the wiring. Can the trim piece be extended/modified/3-d printed/left off?
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

There two different sizes for the metal wire covers, one for 56-57 and one for 58-59 Ghias. The 56-57 wire cover is 1.5" longer than the 58-59 Ghia cover so it looks like you have the 58-59 wire cover. The change came with the introduction of Ghia only steering wheel because it used a shorter bearing on the end of the column and necessitated a shorter wire cover.

If you need a 56-57 Ghia cover PM me and I will see if I have an extra one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

What steering wheel are you using? Do you have an oval window type wheel or a 58-59 Ghia wheel? The longer shaft (about 39”) is for an oval steering wheel and the short shaft (about 37”) is for the dished Ghia wheel. In addition, the tube slides up in the 58-59 wheel about a 1/2” further / deeper. I have the same measurement as Aerosilver and have all the correct 58 parts in my car.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
There two different sizes for the metal wire covers, one for 56-57 and one for 58-59 Ghias. The 56-57 wire cover is 1.5" longer than the 58-59 Ghia cover so it looks like you have the 58-59 wire cover. The change came with the introduction of Ghia only steering wheel because it used a shorter bearing on the end of the column and necessitated a shorter wire cover.

If you need a 56-57 Ghia cover PM me and I will see if I have an extra one.

I love the Samba.
I was literally on the verge of cutting my column down 1.5 inches, and saw this post.
In my boxes of parts that came with the car there were two wire covers. I didn't notice the difference in length so just grabbed one, cleaned it up and painted it and installed. It was a 50/50 chance, and I crapped out.
Luckily I kept the other one, just looked at it, and it is longer than the one I have installed. So that explains the column length issue.
Thanks!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

I'm glad it was an easy fix!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
I'm glad it was an easy fix!

For once, right?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1973 Ghia convertible
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowlight steering column too long! Reply with quote

Given the confines of the Ghia cabin I gotta admit - cutting 1.5" out is starting to sound pretty good to me to be honest. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: