Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2/59 speedometer restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgiaSingleCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Question about speedo gaskets Reply with quote

Thanks for the great writeup. I am rebuilding my speedo on my 59 single cab and have 2 questions. Are there 2 of the large rubber gaskets, one the outside of the bezel that seals against the hole in the dash (if so it was missing from the previous owner) and another on the inside between the bezel and the glass? If so, where do I get the one for the inside? Are they the same as the one that WW sells? My second question is about reassembling the the bezel. Mine got pretty hacked getting it apart. Is there some way to make that outer edge of the bezel look like it came from the factory again? Fortunately, It doesn't show. Thanks for any help you can give me.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
I ordered the 12volt bulbs from WW, but I think I want to go with LEDs
Do LEDs produce less heat than the incandescent bulbs?
The middle bulb is the original 6volt.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Probably a little late for this but IMO, the LED bulbs are annoyingly bright. Not bad for warning lights when you want to be annoyed, but for things like the high beam indicator, turn signals, etc., they are awful at night.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer seal is sold at WW (smallest of the two round seals).

There are two inner seals. One is round (largest of the two round seals) the other is a split seal, I don' know if WW has them.

Split seal goes first, glass next, and the larger round seal around edge of glass.

I need to make a paper gasket. I am guessing the paper gasket is between the bezel and speedo body.

Maybe someone will chime in to help you with your bezel. I was lucky I did not remove bezel, as it stayed in pod when I removed speedo.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cozza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks heaps for all the Info,
I pulled mine apart cleaned and ready to go. I can't figure out where the new seal you buy goes,
The order I have is:
1: bezel
2: split ring seal
3:glass with thicker seal and smaller paper one
4: metal ring
5: place onto speedo and fix tab over edge

I have that similar blue seal ( and the new one to replace it)
Just can't figure out where it goes.

Thanks
Corey
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cozza wrote:
I pulled mine apart cleaned and ready to go. I can't figure out where the new seal you buy goes,
The order I have is:

Thanks
Corey

Seal between speedo and pod.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cozza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
cozza wrote:
The order I have is:

Thanks
Corey

Seal between speedo and pod.

Thanks Brett, so not inside the speedo itself, where it mounts to dash
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer Reply with quote

Great detailed thread. I've taken apart my speedo which is in great shape for my '55 Single Cab with the exception of the broken needle. Question is how do I take the needle off? Is it just pressed fitted on? I tried to lightly pull it but didn't want to pull to hard.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer Reply with quote

i am no expertand not sure why you want to take needle off but if you attempt to do so you will more than likely break it as they are very fragile (ask me how i know)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer Reply with quote

I found this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210219

I have also seen people say they used a fork.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
i am no expertand not sure why you want to take needle off but if you attempt to do so you will more than likely break it as they are very fragile (ask me how i know)

i think it is on account of the "broken needle"? Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
V-Dub Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

My needle is already broken and gels need to be replaced.
mllks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

Which one of the Krylon’s Camouflage paints that beige is? Is it the ”sand 4295” or something else? Can’t see it from the photo.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

I still have the can of paint I will take a look at it this evening

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

mllks wrote:
Which one of the Krylon’s Camouflage paints that beige is? Is it the ”sand 4295” or something else? Can’t see it from the photo.

Kryon's 4291 Khaki

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

I saw part of this asked upstream but not addressed -

Is there a preferred method for uncrimping the trim ring from the housing? Seems like a screwdriver or something similar inserted between the two and run around the bezel would do it?

And what about re-crimping it all back together? Is it soft enough to just smoosh back down or is there some other trick to getting it right? I could see making some sort of press from two pieces of material with holes in them the correct sizes to compress it back down with some C-clamps, but that seems like overkill since I couldn't find any reference to needing something like that...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

Is there a preferred method for uncrimping the trim ring from the housing? Seems like a screwdriver or something similar inserted between the two and run around the bezel would do it?

If one is careful by taking the time to work around and around the bezel bit by bit opening it up with a flat bladed screwdriver till one can just work/flex off the bezel. Then it does not need to be recrimped, because the bezel will still grip the speedo housing good enough. After all one is most likely just going to put it back in the dash where the screws will clamp the speedo body to the dash and the bezel will be sandwiched between the two.

FWIW the flat paint looks pretty good for color match. Over the three decades of having VW buses had thought that should be a flat tan paint. Till about two years ago found a low mileage mint condition 58 or 59 speedo, and the tan paint is a gloss. So if one is going for a full proper restoration, will need a gloss tan paint or maybe spray a gloss clear coating over it. The latter might help with any UV color change down the road.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

If one is careful by taking the time to work around and around the bezel bit by bit opening it up with a flat bladed screwdriver till one can just work/flex off the bezel. Then it does not need to be recrimped, because the bezel will still grip the speedo housing good enough. After all one is most likely just going to put it back in the dash where the screws will clamp the speedo body to the dash and the bezel will be sandwiched between the two.

FWIW the flat paint looks pretty good for color match. Over the three decades of having VW buses had thought that should be a flat tan paint. Till about two years ago found a low mileage mint condition 58 or 59 speedo, and the tan paint is a gloss. So if one is going for a full proper restoration, will need a gloss tan paint or maybe spray a gloss clear coating over it. The latter might help with any UV color change down the road.

Cool. I have a couple of beat up speedos coming, so I'll be able to play around some. This will help me not destroy them. Smile

Anyone have experience with the WW speedo rebuild kit? Looks complete with all the seals and gels. Wondering about the quality of the face mostly...

And if you don't buy that kit, where can one get the all of the internal seals / gaskets? WW only sells the speedo / pod seal individually (that I saw anyway).
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

Oh - and is there a source for the glass? I'm assuming it's nothing super special so maybe just some plain glass cut to size?

Thanks!
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2/59 speedometer restoration Reply with quote

One follow on question - I put mine back together after a full tear down / clean and it seems to be off by a bit more than 10%. It was off a bit more but I was able to remove some of the offset by correcting some weird geometry in the spring.

Is there a method for correcting this? I moved the needle as far clockwise as I could and still have it rest on the pin.

This is a bit of a double post as I asked the same question in the ongoing thread on my bus in general, but I thought it might get more attention this way...

Couple of pics of the speedo. One just of the face (all OG parts, just cleaned and repainted the trim ring and center piece) and one showing how close I got the needle to the back of the pin.

Oh - and in case anyone is curious, I ended up buying a dead bug speedo for short cash to get internal seals in good shape.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: