Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Aloha,

Searched through the threads and no luck. Anyone have any ideas for 3rd brake light for convertibles? I have a 71 super beetle vert, but am seriously searching for a brake light other than the stock ones on the fenders.

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a small bright light behind the hood vents? Keeps a stock look but I'd be careful to block as few vents as you can for airflow...
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

I'm going to try something like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

I have come across license plate frames with the brake ligt built in. Haven't used one so can't attest to the quality. Search in hot rod parts catalogs.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mergedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I'm going to try something like this.

Love this idea!! Definitely adding to my list of things to do.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Also, be sure to hit the brake pedal when you release the accelerator, just enough to turn on the brake lights (especially if someone is close). [And I don't mean 'brake checking', just let the person behind know you're slowing].

Our air cooled cars slow down much quicker than newer cars when you release the accelerator. Anyone following may not even know you slowing until too late.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

has anyone come up with a solution for a third brake light for convertibles? I like the through the vent idea, but don't want to compromise the cooling by blocking off the vents that I do have on my '69.

And I do not want to mount it on the bumper as that is a bit too low, and the fender lamps are that same height anyway.
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

My solution was to add two led running light near the license light.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trynne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

a

Last edited by trynne on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

trynne wrote:
My solution was to add two led running light near the license light.

I have sticker shock! Yes life is simpler without all that stuff.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
has anyone come up with a solution for a third brake light for convertibles? I like the through the vent idea, but don't want to compromise the cooling by blocking off the vents that I do have on my '69.

And I do not want to mount it on the bumper as that is a bit too low, and the fender lamps are that same height anyway.

Well, you've veto'd the vents and bumper for mounting options. Leaves you no choice but to bolt some gawd awful, instant car de-valuing monstrosity to the decklid by the license light.

But really, mount something like a red Hella foglight to your rear bumper. It will be period correct; you can upgrade the bulb and you can point it upward and it will have tremendously good visibility.

It will save you the agony of over-engineering and underappreciating whatever you do and you will be able to spend more time just driving the car.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

I fabbed y 3rd with LED strip on a curved 1" aluminum bar.
Behind the vents. You won't need to drive any holes if you use my method! Pcs in my gallery shts of my 71 bug.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

If you have been thinking of adding a roll bar it might work well mounted to one.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

I found a third brake light that I made work for me.

While searching for hidden stereo systems, I ended up on a motorcycle website. And there they had brake lights with brackets. I was only searching for third brake lights. Never thought to look for just a brake light.

So after more searching on various bike sites, I found a brake light and bracket that I felt would work on my convertible.

My plan was to mount it behind the license plate light hood. This way, it doesn't block the vents and the top doesn't hit it when open. I had to cut and modify the bracket a bit and I had trim away the gasket. I might have cut too much gasket off. So will have to order a new one this spring.

I think it looks OK there. And I installed a flasher inline with the power, so it flashes when you first step on the brake. Then holds steady. I want to grab their attention back there!

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I have come across license plate frames with the brake ligt built in. Haven't used one so can't attest to the quality. Search in hot rod parts catalogs.

Autozone special these things are. They're actually pretty cool and easy to wire in. But they're made out of plastic and the wire it comes with is like 20 gauge. $20 for some cheap plastic that you have to tape together or it'll fall apart. Just wish they were made out of metal.

https://www.autozone.com/license-plate-and-accesso.../20356_0_0

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Automotive-WL704-RW-S...&psc=1

Would not recommend wasting the money.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Autozone special these things are. They're actually pretty cool and easy to wire in. But they're made out of plastic and the wire it comes with is like 20 gauge. $20 for some cheap plastic that you have to tape together or it'll fall apart. Just wish they were made out of metal.

https://www.autozone.com/license-plate-and-accesso.../20356_0_0

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Automotive-WL704-RW-S...&psc=1

Would not recommend wasting the money.

I don't see where I said to look at FLAPS or Amazon. Try Summit Racing, or other hot rod shops. Wink I see metal frames ... chrome plated, billet, polished aluminum, black powder coat. Lots of choices, $30 and up.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

I don't see where I said to look at FLAPS or Amazon. Try Summit Racing, or other hot rod shops. Wink I see metal frames ... chrome plated, billet, polished aluminum, black powder coat. Lots of choices, $30 and up.

I'll take a look, if you stumble across any let me know

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I

This guy should fix his regular brake lights before worrying about a 3rd brake light.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

Something everyone should do. Clean your grounds and smash some reflective tape in there. Or chrome in a can. And clean your grounds.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd Brake Light Ideas for Convertible? Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
I found a third brake light that I made work for me.

While searching for hidden stereo systems, I ended up on a motorcycle website. And there they had brake lights with brackets. I was only searching for third brake lights. Never thought to look for just a brake light.

So after more searching on various bike sites, I found a brake light and bracket that I felt would work on my convertible.

My plan was to mount it behind the license plate light hood. This way, it doesn't block the vents and the top doesn't hit it when open. I had to cut and modify the bracket a bit and I had trim away the gasket. I might have cut too much gasket off. So will have to order a new one this spring.

I think it looks OK there. And I installed a flasher inline with the power, so it flashes when you first step on the brake. Then holds steady. I want to grab their attention back there!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1869426.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1869427.jpg

That looks great! Nice job.
I did the same thing, I got a LED motorcycle rear light, and installed it on the vents above the engine lid. But mine doesn't look as good as yours.
Mine is a LED strip, and looks just a bit too modern.
Where did you get yours? And what brand is it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: