Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metal flake color's
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

I've been using flakes, pearls, etc. from these guys for the last 12 years or so....
https://www.paintwithpearl.com/shop-custom-paint/metal-flakes/
Nice thing about those flakes is they are heat stable up to 400 degrees so you can give them to your powdercoater for matched parts that can handle some abuse. They also go from micro to bass boat size flakes. I also really like their pearls when mixed with HOK pearl carrier or Southern Polyurethanes Intercoat clear.
FRENZIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

I wonder if PaintWithPearl gets their flake from https://meadowbrookglitter.com (who says they are world's leading manufacture and distributor)?

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Mark, BF Meyers used the 008 on the original bodies back in the day. On bodies they produce in the past 10 years, they are using the 015 size flake.

You can also call Meyers and speak to Winnie to confirm for your buggy.

http://meyersmanx.com/

Thank you, Joe!
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

FRENZIED wrote:

So, does anyone know the size of flake Meyers Manx is using in their metalic flake paint jobs?

Thank you,
-Mark

Meyers Manx don't do 'paint jobs', the flake is applied in the mold, in the gel coat its self.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

I've been using the Paintwithpearl products for a lot of years too.
both for powder coating and paint. Although the painting is mostly a wet clear and a flake cannon and lots more clear to bury the flake.
I think there are a lot of other vendors selling the paint with pearl products on ebay.

clear and apple red flake

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the ice pearl is cool, but really hard to photograph. white powder coat, with ice pearl in the clear , and another clear layer

Silver flake on the fur kids sidecar.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

W1K1... Thanks for adding the bike. Is that sidecar a commercial item, or 'you-made'? Thanks.

Jim
Manx #2614
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

that is home grown, based off the Scandinavian sidebike , i did a write up on Ratrod bikes on the build. We added a carbon fiber fender and a bigger wheel/tire combo last winter.

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/add-a-sidecar.104483/#post-1058527

version 2 is in the works this winter with a VW theme for my new bike, the frame is 6061T6 this time, ans a couple layers of carbon in the sidecar layup to add some stiffness.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
... VW theme for my new bike, the frame is 6061T6 this time, ans a couple layers of carbon in the sidecar layup to add some stiffness.

Very Happy

Judging from the opening in the roof, that must be a Westfalia Bus... Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRENZIED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Metal flake color's Reply with quote

manxdavid wrote:
FRENZIED wrote:

So, does anyone know the size of flake Meyers Manx is using in their metalic flake paint jobs?

Thank you,
-Mark

Meyers Manx don't do 'paint jobs', the flake is applied in the mold, in the gel coat its self.
Thanks. I didn't think Meyers Manx was doing the painting, I just didn't know any better way to ask the question.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: