Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel tach on a gas vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Diesel tach on a gas vanagon Reply with quote

Hi there! I'm new to the forum, I subscribed because there is something I don't even find in the super awesome Bentley manual:
I found that super cheap tach on the internet, so I bought it and find out it was a diesel one, my vanagon is the 2.1 Wasserboxer so it cannot be mounted right away ( of course I tried and the reading is low as 100rpm instead of 2000 which is right coz the gas signal is much less stronger than the diesel one) I heard the diesel tach should work with the raw signal of the stator of the alternator, do you know if in the gas vanagon I can plug it to the stator and everything will work or something gonna explode? Do I have a stator equal to the diesel ones?
Sorry for my bad English and if I did some mistakes with my first post let me know
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel tach on a gas vanagon Reply with quote

You need an alternator with a "W" output. There is a demand for diesel tachs. I would look for a gas tach and sell the diesel one.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel tach on a gas vanagon Reply with quote

Diesel tachometer is hard to find. Here is how I converted a gas tachometer to diesel:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610274

You really should sell it as a diesel tachometer and buy a gas tchometer. Here is a good place to list it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=57
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel tach on a gas vanagon Reply with quote

You could use the diesel tach if your alternator has a place on the back marked "W" and there is a wiring plug there. But there are 2 reasons why it might not work perfectly. The alternator is turned by a belt and the speed of the alternator depends on the ratio of the belt pulleys. If the wasserboxer pulley ratio isn't the same as on the diesel engine, the tach will not be accurate. Also, the oil pressure warning system uses the existing tach signal coming from the 2.1 ignition coil, even though you don't have a tach. There is a different oil pressure warning circuit board for a diesel tach signal.

Mark

Paolino wrote:
Hi there! I'm new to the forum, I subscribed because there is something I don't even find in the super awesome Bentley manual:
I found that super cheap tach on the internet, so I bought it and find out it was a diesel one, my vanagon is the 2.1 Wasserboxer so it cannot be mounted right away ( of course I tried and the reading is low as 100rpm instead of 2000 which is right coz the gas signal is much less stronger than the diesel one) I heard the diesel tach should work with the raw signal of the stator of the alternator, do you know if in the gas vanagon I can plug it to the stator and everything will work or something gonna explode? Do I have a stator equal to the diesel ones?
Sorry for my bad English and if I did some mistakes with my first post let me know
Paolino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel tach on a gas vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the answer, i guess i'll just put the diesel tach on sale and try buying a gas one on the link you gave me and see what happens! i owe you a beer guys! cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: