Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970s dope smoking hippy welding?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfallon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: 1970s dope smoking hippy welding? Reply with quote

The trans and the shift rod arent lining up. Off by around 3/16. Assuming a hippy had a good ole time welding judging by the bird shit welds. Anyone think this looks normal?

If its not normal...apart from cutting the mount plate and re welding with great difficulty......any ideas how to fix?

Add on: were transmission mounts for 59 onwards (purchased from WW, different from o.g 57 transmission mounts? Could that be raising the tranny?

I read an earlier thread where a guy suggested boring the transmission holes so it all sits lower

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1970s dope smoking hippy welding? Reply with quote

I have a bus with the same hack... I just ordered a mid mount kit from wolfgang, you could probably elongate the holes in your front mount to align trans properly and add mid mount, if I ever reinstall a splitcase I will fix it properly
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970s dope smoking hippy welding? Reply with quote

It kinda looks like the rubber mount is on upside down. Hard to tell from that photo. There should be a little shelf the snout sets on although it is more for location rather than actual holding power. Can you post a photo looking forward at the rubber mount from below?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1970s dope smoking hippy welding? Reply with quote

mrfallon wrote:
The trans and the shift rod arent lining up. Off by around 3/16. Assuming a hippy had a good ole time welding judging by the bird shit welds. Anyone think this looks normal?

If its not normal...apart from cutting the mount plate and re welding with great difficulty......any ideas how to fix?

Add on: were transmission mounts for 59 onwards (purchased from WW, different from o.g 57 transmission mounts?

It looks like a PO installed a tunnel case tranny into a split case bus.

The split case tranny was used through about May 1959. If someone wanted higher gearing, didn't like the full stop for 1st and reverse, or just found a good used later tranny to bolt in when their old split case wore out or popped out of gear, they would find the front mount did not line up, and various ways were cobbled together to make it fit.

It is not unusual to have the split case front mount all chewed up by a PO 'fix'. Here's a thread on installing a tunnel case tranny into a split case bus:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201901
mrfallon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970s dope smoking hippy welding? Reply with quote

Barryl you win the prize! I flipped the mount and voila...everything aligns.

Ok. So now. I have 1st, 3rd and reverse. 2nd and 4th seems hollow. Once in a blue moon you'll catch 2nd. Any ideas? Its a rebuilt trans by car craft so it should be an issie with old trans. I have a bus nose cone.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1970s dope smoking hippy welding? Reply with quote

mrfallon wrote:
Any ideas?

If you mean shallow like the syncros are just barely hitting and the gear isn't fully coupled it reads like the front shift plate needs to be slid forward some.

If you mean shallow like the gear is fully coupled but the shifter doesn't feel like it levered far enough then it reads like you need to slide it rearward some.

What did I win so far and will it be taken away if I'm wrong on this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: