Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to mount capacitor to circuit board?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: How to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I am in the process of attempting to install a capacitor in place of the condenser for the distributor.

I am using the unit shown in the 2nd half of this writeup:

http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

In it, the author discusses mounting the capacitor to a piece of printed circuit board.

"I mounted the cap on a piece of printed circuit board so it could be mounted right on the coil. . . I'm still a little troubled by the need to mount this sensibly; I'm not sure what's the best, simplest way to do this. Most important is to strain-relieve the leads. Just soldering wires to the leads, and letting them flop in the breeze, probably will result in them breaking from fatigue before long. That's why I mounted the cap on the piece of board; this way, a dab of epoxy on the wires will prevent them from flexing at the connection."

What I'd like to know is how, precisely, to mount something such as this capacitor, on a piece of circuit board. Epoxy? Will that stand up to heat and vibration?

What is circuit board actually made from? Is there something else I can substitute, as long as it it's not magnetic, or flammable? Would masonite work?

Should I build or adapt a small container for it, instead of circuit board?

Last edited by scottyrocks on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

The PC board looks like a hack IMHO and is not needed. You could just hang it off the distributor tab with your slip on connector attached...Or better yet, solder a length of wire to the ends for your connectors and use a cable clamp (rubber coated steel clamp) to attach it to the shroud. Would look cleaner, function as well and be easily servicable.

If you want to do the circuit board, all it is a a fiberglass or similar sheet clad with copper on one side. Note that there is a slice in the copper to separate the 2 leads. You can get this on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/McIgIcM-copper-laminate-c...s=pc+board
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Yes, it looks hacky, indeed, mounted like that, as the author wrote, but I wasn't going to put it there on the side of the coil, per se.

In the interim, while looking through my loads of leftover building materials, I found a length of j-track and fabbed a very solid bracket that will be mounted to the coil bracket bolt on the upper/right side. It should look pretty neat when it's done, and I will post a picture, assuming that the whole thing works properly.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I got it mounted and wired, and the car started right up and revved very nicely.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a few choices of where to put both wires.

The new green wire from the capacitor could have gone to the existing green wire at the coil, but I didn't have a 2-1 spade connector handy, so I ran the new wire into the distributor where the regular condenser wire would go (2nd picture).

The white wire (I don't have brown) is ground and could have gone almost anywhere. I secured it to the coil strap bolt on the other side.

The J-track holds the capacitor snugly but doesn't crush it. It's like it's tailor made for it. I got lucky.

There is no stress on the soldered joints so they should stay together.

Comments welcome.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I would probably secure the wires near the capacitor, so you don't get a lot of vibration transferred to the capacitor leads, right at the capacitor itself would probably be the most likely place for the wire to break. Also need to do something to protect it from rain.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I just put some shrink tubing on the capacitor wire connections. That should keep it a little more sturdy. I will look for an additional way to anchor the wires, as well.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I have not had problems with replacement capacitors. If I were me, and I am, I'd buy a regular replacement capacitor. if concerned about failures, carry a spare, or convert to an electronic points that dont require capacitor, never wear, never drift, timing stays dead nuts on target.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

OK ....piqued my curiousity: why replace the condenser with a capacitor ...or are they the same thing, just a different name?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
OK ....piqued my curiousity: why replace the condenser with a capacitor ...or are they the same thing, just a different name?

Yes, and the one I got matches the car's condenser re microfrands and stuff like that.

Here's the final product, shrink tubed and ziptied. I did cut off the ziptie tail after I took the picture.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:

Condenser is just an old name for a capacitor. It looks like a good part was chosen, capable with withstanding 1000 volts (the coil primary voltage surges when the points open) and designed to handle a fair amount of ripple current (charging every time the points open and discharging each time they close.) The chosen 0.22 mircofarad value is typical for an automotive condenser.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Mounting electronic components in electronic potting epoxy will support the device and the leads. Small potting boxes with mounting tabs works well.

The pic shows a circuit in epoxy with several terminals and a beeper. The same box can be used to mount a capacitor and terminals. This makes a water proof and vibration proof enclosure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Bluebus, a lot of us have had condensor failures withe new parts. I have had 2 that failed in a very short time.

Getting into this further, how generic is the actual cap value? Are all of the part numbers for the condensors more related to type of mounting?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Bluebus, a lot of us have had condensor failures withe new parts. I have had 2 that failed in a very short time.

Getting into this further, how generic is the actual cap value? Are all of the part numbers for the condensors more related to type of mounting?

Data sheet for the capacitor. This is a very good capacitor for the application.

https://datasheet.octopart.com/224PPB102K-Cornell-Dubilier-datasheet-13545856.pdf

Last edited by Wayne S. Johnson on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

So why not just use a condenser?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
So why not just use a condenser?

Possibly because the OP hasn't had the best of luck with available replacements and is trying what he hopes to be a more robust solution... just a thought.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Yes, three have stopped working in as many months, and that's just with local weekend driving. I want a more permanent solution, and believe I have found it, although all that information is in another thread.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Just ran some errands around the neighborhood. The car ran beautifully.

Many thanks to all in this thread, as well as others, who supplied information and advice.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Great write up scottyrocks. I, like you, had terrible luck with new condensers. IDK if my coil was causing it (just a Bosch blue unknown specifics) or what. It was driving me nuts. Sometimes they wouldn't last 10 miles, sometimes a few weeks.. Finally I was out of replacements, so I stole a very old one from a core distributor I had kicking around. It's been like 2 or 3 years, no problem since.

I've seen that condenser dissection write up you linked to before, but I couldn't find it again. Thanks for posting it up. It's pretty obvious why these crap condensers fail so quickly when you get a look inside. What a joke. Stuff just press-fit together, and it's all loose in the can..

I'll probably just order a few capacitors you linked to for backup. I loathe the idea of spending another dime on POS condensers that WILL FAIL.

Let us know how the mod holds up over time.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words, Prune.

The time test will be an important one. Of course, it has to last. There is a record here (this thread) of when I installed it. I will certainly update here if the thing fails.

I don't put a lot of miles on this car, but can reply here yearly if all is well. Wink
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: how to mount capacitor to circuit board? Reply with quote

I potted a Polypropylene capacitor, 0.22 uF for my Beetle. I have a few extras, let me know if anyone wants one. See my AD for more info.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: