Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
The suppressor looks to be original, or at least a long-term resident...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, the suppressor would be dealer added as needed when a radio was installed.

Everett has this photo in the radio suppression section:

Once upon a time there were also little springs that rubbed from the front axle nuts against the dust cap inner to suppress static.

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
I noticed that the voltage regulator is in a different location than shown. Mine is mounted to the side of the engine bay....

As posted you have things in the right location for a large diameter generator. There should be a stiff-back in the wheelwell for the regulator screws if it's original.

Just a correction here to my statement about the stiff-back: Yours is mounted vertically to the upright so there will be no stiff-back.

Thompson2 wrote:
Mine is mounted to the side of the engine bay like a '65...

At some point ('65?) VW moved the regulator on remote mounted regulators to the wheelwell inner and mounted them horizontally. The horizontal mount will have the stiff-back.

Thompson2 wrote:
Should I just upload that to the Gallery as well or should all of this go somewhere else?

I think it should go in the Technical pull-down Wiring section.

Thompson2 wrote:
I'd like to name this appropriately in the Gallery when I upload it - what would be an accurate description?

This currect diagram you so patiently created is the most correct version that matches large diameter 6 and 12 volt generators with remote mounted regulators which are associated with that feature.

What to call it? 1500 diagram? Large diameter generator? Remote regulator? Someone more Progressive Refinement specific than I should name it.

Also because it has the interior light switch with the three spades and their associated connections it is unique so observers of the diagram will have to note if they have that in conjunction. I have seen more like your diagram than not. In my Bentley I scratched in the differences years ago and thought I was the anomoly.

For the new page and reference:
Thompson2 wrote:
Thanks! I think I've wrapped it up now.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

I’ll wait some further input on naming. Seems like it could quickly become pretty cumbersome if it gets too specific.

Three things I noticed I need to correct.

- “B+” terminal on the voltage regulator is only marked “B”
- missing the suppressor on the ignition coil
- missing the ground symbol on both the suppressors that are already there.

I need to spend some time creating the key. I’ll see if I can accommodate some of the things mentioned here, but I don’t want to over complicate it.

Hopefully I’ll get this fully wrapped tonight. Sooooooo close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

One other thing that I was wanting to do was note the fuse sizes on the wiring diagram so that it's all in one place and maybe color-code the drawing, but I'm con-fused at the moment.

The manual (60-64 reprint and the April '63) both say 8A (white) across the board, but there are multiple instances in the gallery of variation from that. Is this a 6/12V thing or just people replacing fuses with larger as the bus ages and the connections get worse and worse? Anyone got insight and suggestions?

Examples, including mine as it sits now (last pic):

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

They should be all white 8s but dumb owners put whatever they want in there.

I think some people swap the "accessory" spot for a red 16 amp one if they had a lot of stuff added but I'm not sure that's needed?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
They should be all white 8s but dumb owners put whatever they want in there.

I think some people swap the "accessory" spot for a red 16 amp one if they had a lot of stuff added but I'm not sure that's needed?

Lovely. That blue 25A is even scarier now! 3x the rated current... what could possibly go wrong?

I'll be ordering a box of 8A tonight...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

"Final" version with the key. Feel free to fling poo at it...

Edited key...

Last edited by Thompson2 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Quick...patent it! That is sooo righteous.

With this diagram the turn signals should work with the key on or off. The hazard should work with the key on or off. The green turn signal arrow should alternate with the red dash light when on hazard.

You know it is all correct if:
-you come to a stop with the engine on and keep your feet on the brake pedal.
-pull on the hazard switch.
-turn the key off
-the engine should pulse run-notrun-run-notrun-etc to the pulse of the hazard green and red sequence.
-until you lift your foot off the brake.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Quick...patent it! That is sooo righteous.

Thanks. Glad it passes muster. I figure I'm asking enough stupid questions I might as well make some contribution. Laughing

BarryL wrote:

You know it is all correct if:
-you come to a stop with the engine on and keep your feet on the brake pedal.
-pull on the hazard switch.
-turn the key off
-the engine should pulse run-notrun-run-notrun-etc to the pulse of the hazard green and red sequence.
-until you lift your foot off the brake.

I'd say you were making that crap up, but I can totally see it happening. Haven't traced it out in the schematics yet, but I totally believe it. There are some... interesting... features in this wiring.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Thanks. Glad it passes muster. I figure I'm asking enough stupid questions I might as well make some contribution. Laughing

Thank you! How do you do it?

Thompson2 wrote:

Item E "windshield" looks to be a "one".

I like K2.

The only difference in a '65 is the wiper has a couple more wires to park it.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:

Thank you! How do you do it?

Lots of cut-and-paste and pixel-wise editing. I use a program called GIMP. Free and pretty easy to use.

BarryL wrote:

Thompson2 wrote:

Sweet mother of pearl! I thought I had gotten all of those... And it's too late to delete the funky version from the gallery (or is there some trick I'm not seeing?)

BarryL wrote:

I like K2.

Right? Accurate AND amusing at the same time. Laughing

BarryL wrote:

Is that '65-'67 of '65 specific? Would it be worth adding? I'd have to dig through the later diagrams to see what it'd take. Doesn't seem like a simple drop-in though.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
... And it's too late to delete the funky version from the gallery (or is there some trick I'm not seeing?)

You can delete the photo and resubmit it.

Thompson2 wrote:

Right? Accurate AND amusing at the same time. Laughing

It is right and I always tell anyone that if they see it on to immediately stop and see if the belt is off.

Thompson2 wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Is that '65-'67 of '65 specific? Would it be worth adding? I'd have to dig through the later diagrams to see what it'd take. Doesn't seem like a simple drop-in though.

'65 specific. The "USA, created by Bus owner" one has it so don't worry about adding it. The '66 and '67s are correct in the technical section.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
... And it's too late to delete the funky version from the gallery (or is there some trick I'm not seeing?)

You can delete the photo and resubmit it.

For me, the "Delete" option disappears after a few days. I can edit the description but nothing else. Am I missing something?

BarryL wrote:

'65 specific. The "USA, created by Bus owner" one has it so don't worry about adding it. The '66 and '67s are correct in the technical section.

I'll leave it as is then.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

What to call it? 1500 diagram? Large diameter generator? Remote regulator? Someone more Progressive Refinement specific than I should name it.

Call it "1963 1500cc option" .

Large diameter diameter generator only came out in 1966 as standard.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Corrected.

Eric&Barb wrote:

Call it "1963 1500cc option"

Description updated.

Key reloaded and posted in the original post.

Thanks for the feedback!
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Kick panel area cleanup is under way... Driver's side is mostly done. Including passenger's side as a comparable "Before" shot.

One question - what's the easiest way to remove the adhesive residue from where the foam was installed on the nose? It looks like people are replacing that (when it's gone like mine) with Fat Mat (or similar) and the foil bubble wrap?

Cleaned / soldered fuse block still needs to be installed and all those connectors need to be cleaned as well.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Looks great! Gonna wax the paint to? I did but im a bit OCD.

I haven't used dynamat but I used the roll of stuff you can get at home depot.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

No need to remove the adhesive residue. Just scuff off any residue of the old styrofoam and then apply the new dynamat against it. The dynamat will help a lot with resonance but won't do much for keeping the cab warm. I would start with a layer of dynamat, making sure not to trap air behind it, then go over that with a double layer of silver bubble wrap from Home Depot. You can apply the bubble wrap stuff with 3M spray adhesive.
In the doors, dynamat only because water drains through them. Anyplace you use insulation or noise absorption material, make sure you first apply a layer of something that will prevent moisture from being able to condense on the inside of the cold sheet metal. Many custom vehicles rust from the inside out because people forget about condensation.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Looks great! Gonna wax the paint to? I did but im a bit OCD.

I haven't used dynamat but I used the roll of stuff you can get at home depot.

I was debating the wax since there's a possibility the interior will get new paint in the future and not waxing now would save having to be super careful with a wipe down prep... or am I overthinking it? I did polish / wax the dash, so... Smile

Which HD "stuff" are you referring to? The foil bubble wrap or something else?
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
No need to remove the adhesive residue. Just scuff off any residue of the old styrofoam and then apply the new dynamat against it. The dynamat will help a lot with resonance but won't do much for keeping the cab warm. I would start with a layer of dynamat, making sure not to trap air behind it, then go over that with a double layer of silver bubble wrap from Home Depot. You can apply the bubble wrap stuff with 3M spray adhesive

Cool. That'll make it easier...

Major Woody wrote:
... apply a layer of something that will prevent moisture from being able to condense on the inside of the cold sheet metal.

I'm assuming Dynamat/Fat Mat / etc is what you'd suggesting as the preventative layer... got a reasonably priced source? Looks like roughly 100sq ft is what I'll need, based on the things I've found in the forums.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Call it "1963 1500cc option"

Description updated.!

Just wondering what makes it 1500. Plus '64 could have it also.

This was in Progressive Refinements:
"7 Jan . 63
chassis number 1 041 014
Generator
Now: 200 W
Variode regulator
Now: Mounted on right hand
wheel housing
Formerly: On the generator".

No mention of size matters.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 31

Jump to: