Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New waterboxer crankshaft source?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

Not having much success searching out a source for a NEW (not re-ground) crankshaft for 1987 waterboxer... anyone know a source for these?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

Why do you insist on new?

Part avaibility history has shown us that today, the vast majority of new parts that we can purchase are inferior to VW's OEM 30 year old parts currently in use on the vehicle.
There are of course noted exceptions...... ie plastic cooling and fuel bits..........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

If I remember correctly scat is offering wbx cranks now. Essentially a type 1 crank with a different flywheel drilling. Not sure if they’re available in stock stroke though. They are beautiful but also spendy.. like north of 1k... yikes. Surely you can find a good stock crank if you need one. I run an 82mm stroked dpr stoker.. nothing wrong with well machined parts.

J
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

New...

Well. First, my engine is running great. This casual search is intended to plan out rebuilding the spare engine for my '87 Westy. The basket case wasserboxer engine I received for that plan is a mess. Previous owner decided to abandon the rebuild project, and of course just left the entire opened up pile-o-parts in his backyard, so of course, all those precision machined parts are now...

Rusty.

Probably more rusty than worth machining down 'one-under', but maybe not. I have not had the balls to walk into my local machine shop and look that guy in the eye and ask him about my crusty crankshaft.

Anyway... I was thinking it would be nice to see about "just getting a new one" but yeah, I do so intimately know about crap aftermarket parts in 2018 and beyond. I own several air-cooled vehicles and deal with this inadequacy with names like Bosch and packaging with the word Germany on it like that somehow conveys accuracy and precision.

Germany is just a word. Made in Germany is three words, but doesn't guarantee the parts were NOT hacked together by Afghani refugees constantly brow-beaten by a psychopathic Serbian shop boss in some fucked up Post-soviet plastic injection house... in Germany.

So... as I look around, it might make more sense to find a Subaru-orphaned 2.1 Liter engine to tear down for a rebuild project instead of dicking around with this mess.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

Machine shop won't even bat an eye at rust. A spun bearing is deeper than rust.

I haven't seen how rusty.... but .....

.....the machinist may ask you how much you'd like to pay him to polish the journals to see if they're still in spec. And he may suggest that you polish them and measure them. Or if you don't have a micrometer, polish them and bring back (for him to measure).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Machine shop won't even bat an eye at rust. A spun bearing is deeper than rust.

I haven't seen how rusty.... but .....

.....the machinist may ask you how much you'd like to pay him to polish the journals to see if they're still in spec. And he may suggest that you polish them and measure them. Or if you don't have a micrometer, polish them and bring back (for him to measure).

I think this crank has rust pitting, but I honestly don't know how bad. The machinist I used before with this same type of work on a 1700cc air cooled engine did great. Maybe there's hope.... the worst he do is say "nope!"

I am now under the impression that any (like most things nowadays) decent crankshaft that is NEW will definitely have to be a NOS find.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

DPR has WBX cranks or he can grind the one you have. http://dprmachine.com/
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: New waterboxer crankshaft source? Reply with quote

Thanks, Mayor!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: