Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flat fuchs 6 inch
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theconvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

Yes I have searched and can’t find answer lol

So I am refurbishing a real set of flat Fuchs 15x6. Anyone have an idea what size tire I can fit with them on a 1969 beetle with 4 inch narrowed beam drop spindles and disks all the way around. I was thinking 205/60/15 back and 195/55/15 front. Any opinions
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

I think they'll work. On the front, the tire may hit the pan/body inside before full turn so may restrict the turning radius slightly. Scrounge or buy a used 195/55 to see and you'll know for sure. Then try it on the back to confirm the 205's will fit.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

The 4" beam is a mistake. 2" is better. With a 2" beam you might be able to do a u-turn.

Who's dropped spindles? Some don't work with genuine flat 6 Fuchs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Theconvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The 4" beam is a mistake. 2" is better. With a 2" beam you might be able to do a u-turn.

Who's dropped spindles? Some don't work with genuine flat 6 Fuchs.

Not sure prob empi that come with brakes. Why do some not work. Reason I went to 4 inch was because of push out with breaks and spindles.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

Not sure about the EMPI dropped spindle, but a CB 2½" spindle causes interference between the ball joint and the inside of the wheel. If this happens with the EMPI too, you can grind a bit of the ball joint/control arm, or put a thin spacer on.

I believe if you use CB spindles, they claim zero offset, so a 4" beam isn't needed. 2" will do. Going narrower causes problems on the inside that are reduced with the 2" beam.

If you already have the 4" beam, put it all together to experience what I'm describing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

We did our own wheel/tire/stance engineering, so you'll end up doing your own too. Buy cheap used pairs of 1/2 tread tires to run while you figure out the best sizes for your setup.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Theconvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
We did our own wheel/tire/stance engineering, so you'll end up doing your own too. Buy cheap used pairs of 1/2 tread tires to run while you figure out the best sizes for your setup.

Thanks for the input. I will have a lot invested in getting these repaired and powder coated. Tires on and off for me are a problem due to no one having a touch less machine in my area. I am hoping I can get the tire set right the first time. I looked they are the empi drop spindles and brake I have been told they together push wheel out like 1.5 inches if I’m not mistaken
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

I would Never powder coat my Fuchs wheels, so I don't have your kinds of problems!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Theconvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat fuchs 6 inch Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I would Never powder coat my Fuchs wheels, so I don't have your kinds of problems!

I understand that. The rims were damaged so they are being repaired. Just going with gloss black. That way they can be restored to .org if need be later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: