Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine build by ladies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Very nice! I think we all do our own version of the happy dance when we bring one back to life.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Joannekay wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i realize this has been a major source of frustration for you, but your rockers are not set up properly. the adjuster screws look to be hitting the left side and/or the center of the valve stems.

they are supposed to be offset to the right as seen in this pic. this is a top view, looking down:

The factory service book shows the alignment of the valve and valve adjusting screw from the viewpoint from BELOW the engine, looking upward at the valve train.

and you're still missing a lot of engine tin.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Abnormal valve ware can be seen by using a Valve Adjust Log. I started keeping a log many years ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greg Ward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Joannekay wrote:

The factory service book shows the alignment of the valve and valve adjusting screw from the viewpoint from BELOW the engine, looking upward at the valve train.

With all due respect, there is no reference needed to a service manual, as this is not a standard engine anymore.

The minute all the valvetrain was replaced with other components that are not standard anymore means all the specs in the manual stuff is out the window.

I agree offsetting the valve tappet slightly on the valve makes a difference, and only into turning the valve for longetivity, I've had many engines where the valve collets are purposely ground for gripping the valve and this rotation never occurs anyway, no undue affects because of this.

This engines rocker gear doesn't employ wavy washers and clips as standard and the manual expects, this is now a solid rocker setup. Setup as close enough as a STD engine needs to be in my opinion.

Cheers,

Greg
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

I hear what you're saying, thanks.
I guess I'm just confused as to how or why, over the past couple months, the set-up went from looking awfully darn close in this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8850959#8850959
to the way it looks now. yeah, i've read the entire thread several times, i guess i just don't get it.

i will be interested, if there is to be any kind of long term follow-up in this thread, how the engine performs, lasts, wears, etc.
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

The rocker tips may look centered on the OP's valve stems but unless they are perfectly centered, there will always be some valve rotation. The valve just needs to be rotated a little every once in a while. It isn't a huge deal.

Once this engine is fully dressed with tin, my suggestion would be to just drive it a while and see how everything settles in.
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thanks guys but previous rocker assembly not slightly off..
Major problem with standard aftermarket.

Before rocker mounts machined.

Order fuel tank to finish tuning before installing engine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

We hooked mangos heart up today..
Did the oil pressure & all good @ 50psi
Had a play with carb & she runs by herself now.
Sounds a bit chattery will empty oil & check tappets.
Time to lift & put engine in..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ylVbH78vyE&feature=youtu.be
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Update
Sorry for delay...life gets in the way.

Engine in..
As we didn’t want to lift to high..we jacked up slide engine under.
Used pulley to lift engine.

Got to luv 61...no room...struggled but success..

Now just to add the missing & zoom zoom

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Totally awesome ladies, well done.

Is that Beryl Green or another colour??
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

I'm guessing mango....
do those slippers have steel toe-caps in them Wink
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thank you guys.
Yes mango & steel cap slippers x

Back to Vw ...we care 4 mum & maintain a couple of houses.

Install just about 2 finish

We ordered a 019 from Glenn ring.
I just like the sound of them & should run nice with our 30 pict 1

Just have to grab a couple of terminals & zoom zoom

Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

New sticker...

Time to drive this baby..
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Woo hoo...reversed up driveway.stalled..drove down driveway..stalled..will adjust that but this silly little button to start doesn’t seem responsive as when we bench started..
Any help please.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Is the ignition switch broken? If not, you do not need the push switch for that, it is not stock.

Wrap that coil to distributor green wire around a pencil to give it a tight curl. Then slide the pencil out of the wire spiral. That will tighten up that wire to keep it off other parts so it does not rub thru the insulation, plus it does not wiggle around so much that might break the copper strands inside over time, and engine looks neater to boot.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

TROUBLESHOOTING TEST LIGHTS USED TO TEST 12V AT COIL, STARTER SOLENOID COIL, STARTER MOTOR, OR ANY DEVICE POWERED BY 12V. THE LIGHTS CAN BE USED WITH 6V SYSTEMS USING 6V LIGHTS. ATTACH THE LIGHT WIRES AT THE LOCATION OF THE LOAD TO TEST SWITCHES AND WIRING LEADING TO EACH LOAD.

Temporarily mount two small 12V lights under the dash, ground them to chassis clean metal. Attach one to the coil ignition wire at the coil terminal. Attach the other one to the starter solenoid terminal at the solenoid.

I have wired test lights by running the wires through the window for a one time test or you could run the wires inside under the carpet and leave them installed.

The lights will show you if the device is getting 12V.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Wayne S. Johnson wrote:
TROUBLESHOOTING TEST LIGHTS USED TO TEST 12V AT COIL, STARTER SOLENOID COIL, STARTER MOTOR, OR ANY DEVICE POWERED BY 12V. THE LIGHTS CAN BE USED WITH 6V SYSTEMS USING 6V LIGHTS. ATTACH THE LIGHT WIRES AT THE LOCATION OF THE LOAD TO TEST SWITCHES AND WIRING LEADING TO EACH LOAD.

Are those some special lights that will not light up if only say 11.5 volts is getting thru? Asking because we use a 12 volt dash bulb as a static timing tool, works just fine on 6 volt VWs, just a bit more yellow in color.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

I used standard lights, not intended to replace DMM.

This panel was designed for use on a 1962 pickup.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Wayne S. Johnson wrote:
I used standard lights, not intended to replace DMM..

Exact, best to use a voltmeter or voltage setting on a multimeter for that instead.

Last year helped someone with their well. He tore the submerged pump all out due to it not working, and I helped him replaced it. Still would not work! Turned out the wiring at the circuit breaker had corroded enough to burn thru one of the wires, but the two ends were still butted up to each other just enough to pass about 40 volts AC enough to light up a test light instead of the full 120 volts. Took about three days of work and finding the correct pump parts to boot.
Joannekay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine build by ladies Reply with quote

Thank you Wayne & Eric..
Have called in the auto electrician.
Prior to us buying someone installed push button.
Cheap skate...half a job.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 29

Jump to: