Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing hard top lift Garage Gator
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62CdnNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

Hey,
Wondering if anyone has any experience with this product. Thinking of a purchase to get the top out of the way.

There is a couple versions and Costco seems to be the cheapest. Maybe a Christmas gift to myself!

https://garagegator.com/products/jeep-roof-lift-kit-220-lb
1972 Westfalia (sold)
1974 Thing
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great, much better than my pulleys.
It looks easy to make oneself with a lift from Harbor Freuight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

If you are handy, I made a hoist system for my son's LJ Jeep hardtop.

I picked up an electric winch from Harbor Freight. 220lbs single line pull or 440lb double line. 10' of 1" 11g square tubing that I made a t-form (3 s-hooks which hook at 3 points on hardtop - over front door openings and 1 in rear. could easily modify to 4 points as seen in link) and a eye bolt mount on t-bar to connect to the winch cable. I mounted a single pulley from Home depot to a ply plate on the ceiling. The winch is mounted on the wall in the corner.

hopefully makes some sense

the winch is under $100. metal, pulleys, couple straps to secure, dust settled, $150-175 approx easily for complete set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

That looks pretty slick. I haven't any experience with those, but I gotta tell my story. I haven't thought about this in years. When I was 17 or 18 my friend attached a hook and pulley to the ceiling of his parents garage in order to lift the top off his FJ40 Land Cruiser. For reasons apparent to teenagers he decided it was important to hoist himself to the ceiling. as I watched he arranged his feet in the loop, declared he was ready and quickly hauled away on the rope. Up went his feet and his body became almost instantly horizontal a few feet off the floor then bam flat on his back. I almost turned purple trying not to laugh at him, I failed. I'm sure I learned some kind of lesson. It did lift the top nicely though.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
. . . I gotta tell my story.

So much similar humor lost in the years before cell phone video . . .
62CdnNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

HAHA, I agree, there is always a funny and more easy way to lift it.. even is its not completely safe. For $350 CDN (on Costco.co) it seems like a great way to lift my top and bicycles. Just thought I would throw it out to everyone as a possibility.
1972 Westfalia (sold)
1974 Thing
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing hard top lift Garage Gator Reply with quote

I think that lift has its place in a garage with a really high ceiling- and if you plan to do one-man top swaps often. I find the folded soft top a bigger PITA than the hardtop!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: