Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

Just did my first oil change on my new to me 2001 Eurovan GLS.

When I opened the filter housing the element was mishapened, distorted and was obviously no longer working as a filter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old unknown filter brand (said made in Poland) beside the new Mann filter (made in mexico).

What could have caused this? Cheap filter, overdue oil change, improper installation? The quality of the filter looks to be very poor in comparison to the new Mann but I can't understand that it would deteriorate so badly.

I'm wondering if the oil change place that the previous owner was frequenting ignored changing the filter during each oil change due to the pain of removing the pan....

Yipes...
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change 2001 Eurovan What happened to the last Reply with quote

on looks alone I'd say it was a quality issue -- that polish one looks like the butt of a polish joke... (zing!) though the slight accordian-ing of the thing makes me think install issue as well/lazy oil change monkey...eech. glad you got that out of the way.

I guess you'll know more the next time you do an oil change - if the Mann filter is distorted then something is awry...

those Mann filters are the only way to go, though -- same for the cabin air filter, imo.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change 2001 Eurovan What happened to the last Reply with quote

It kin of looks like the old one is crushed due to improper installation-like it didn't sit properly on the bottom ring?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change 2001 Eurovan What happened to the last Reply with quote

Both of you might be right on improper installation with the crushed look of it.

Plastic caps at top and bottom were also distorted. Yipes

So strange to see when changing it is so simple....
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change 2001 Eurovan What happened to the last Reply with quote

Has your Eurovan had the belly pan modification done? Makes make oil changes easier.

http://www.rialtainfo.com/model_info/modifications...520101.pdf
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

Another year, another vehicle purchase (don't worry I still have the 2001 GLS)

First Oil change on my new to me 2002 Eurovan.

Another nearly collapsed filter element. This time the filter is Fram China lol..

The filter housing was so stuck, I don't think it was opened in a long while.
Strange the next oil change sticker hadn't even reached the odometer change km..

If you are having someone change the oil on your Eurovan at least provide the proper Mann filter to them and confirm that the filter gets changed.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

Wow, that's a double whammy! It's a Fram AND it's made in China

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change 2001 Eurovan What happened to the last Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Has your Eurovan had the belly pan modification done? Makes make oil changes easier.

http://www.rialtainfo.com/model_info/modifications...520101.pdf

The new to me Eurovan Weekender has this update!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

Using power tools to open the belly pan made oil changes a snap on my EuroBuss.
copper_90680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

That snout must be removed before the oil filter is installed. The snout is only there to hold the o ring. I have no idea why VW would be this stupid, but if you don't remove that snout the filter will be crushed like that.

It's not a manufacturing problem, it's a freaking VW design stupidity.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

copper_90680 wrote:
That snout must be removed before the oil filter is installed. The snout is only there to hold the o ring. I have no idea why VW would be this stupid, but if you don't remove that snout the filter will be crushed like that.

It's not a manufacturing problem, it's a freaking VW design stupidity.

Holy crap, I thought I was doing well using Mann filters when I didn't even do the job properly...

http://www.rialtainfo.com/vw/oil_change.htm

Special Note:On the filter for the AXK, 24 valve engine, the picture on the left below shows how the filter looks out of the box.  The "snout" may be removed before installation, as shown on the right, otherwise the filter may get deformed when installed.  Some of the cheap filters copied this wrong and the stem isn't removeable, so it has to be cut off.  It's only there to hold the small o-ring for the drain plug on the filter cap.  (Click on photo for larger version.)

I've never experienced anything wrong with the Mann filters but starting next change I'll make sure I do the filter change properly.

Thanks Copper!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

The snout has nothing to do with the drain oring on the bottom of the housing.

I suspect earlier VR6 engines don't use the snout while the later 24 valves do.

If you are in a cold climate it could behind cold oil pressure deformed the filter pleats , but they look to be filtering well with no sludge.

I went looking for info on the webs about the T4 oil change and about 80% of them had bad information btw.

The 24 Vr6 has a separate drain plug integral to the 36mm cap that lets you drain the filter before removing it. It has its own oring. I think it's a 6 mm hex plug
copper_90680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

Abscate,

The filter for the 12V AES engine is different from what you see here. The snout isn't there.

What you see here is for the 24V AXK engine. You must remove the snout before installing it.

By the way, just like you said, there are lots of misinformation out there. The drain plug on the oil filter cap is not just for the AXK engines. The AES engines have them too.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

I've installed every single oil filter on my T4 with the snout, and it came from the factory with the snout. Is there any doc on this from VW?

This is what I have

copper_90680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

Abscate,

What you show there is also what I get from the Bentley manual, but the filter gets crushed every time I left the snout on, and those are filters I got from the VW dealers too.

If you can install with the snout and without crushing the filters, I need to know which brand of filter you are using.

Thanks
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First Oil Change '01 EV: What happened to the last filter? Reply with quote

It would be helpful if you would provide a photo of the inside of your plastic cap. Back in November of 2015 there was a thread 'Oil Filter Pleats Crushed' on the ev_update list. The OP provided this photo of his cap: https://www.flickr.com/photos/goat_mountain/23303213705/in/album-72157625677878424/
If you know what the bottom of the cap is supposed to look like, you can see the problem. There is a piece of an old filter still stuck in there. The OP thought this was a correct, integral part of the cap - a 'bottom disk' he called it. But no - it's just garbage left behind from a filter that came apart. Check your cap for something like that. In this guy's case he used a couple of screws to yank out the garbage piece: https://www.flickr.com/photos/goat_mountain/23053855040/in/album-72157625677878424/ (This was an AES engine.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: