Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zulu5Oscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

Hello all. Recently started work on this car and have a head scratcher. With #10 fuse installed, I get intermittent wiper function even with wiper switch off. When I pull the fuse, intermittent stops but the wiper still functions in slow and fast mode. I have original manual that show wiper switch has 4 positions (Intermittent-full down, Off – one up, slow-two up, and fast, three up) yet my switch only seems to have 3 positions. I suspect previous owner installed the wrong switch and/or there is some shady wiring going on. Appreciate any input from the experts on how to fix or at least disable the intermittent wipe so I can run with #10 fuse in and not look like a dingus.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

If you only have 3 positions, you have the wrong switch. Likely you don't have the down from off position.
In 1975, VW added the extra terminal necessary for intermittent wipers, but the switch could not be moved down into the intermittent position. I believe you can break off a small piece of plastic to allow it to go down one notch if you have this switch. If you have the 72-74 switch, you will need to get the later switch. Early Rabbits may use the same switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

Here is the wiring diagram:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bruce is right, remove the little plastic piece to enable the handle to move down from the off-position.

To bypass the relay, just wire 53 on the switch to 53 on the wiper motor (the black wire) and remove the relay. But why not trying to make it work?
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

Intermittent function is active when the wire 'S' is not earthed. Either there is a fault in the swicth, relay, or connections somewhere.

As a temporary measure you can just remove the relay and link 53M/53S to restore standard (non-intermittent) function.
Zulu5Oscar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

That was it. Unbelievable how I spend hours scratching my head on this one and only to be resolved in 20 seconds by snapping off a piece of plastic. Thanks all for the quick and awesome info.
ter1max2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

do you guys have a picture of the piece that you have to remove to get the switch to work in the intermittent position.
dgwduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

Hello I have a 79 super that I am putting the finishing touches on but the intermittent wiper function is puzzling me. New oem wiper switch and have removed stop so wiper switch has 4 functions. Slow and fast speeds work fine but intermittent works in both the off and intermittent slots. I have tried to ground other points in the steering column as previous post claim this is the issue and even extra grounding switch but the only way to not activate intermittent function is to remove ground wire from relay. I even tried another relay with the same results. Am I missing something or is there a grounding issue I am not tracking Down? All other features and wiring are working so I do not believe things have been botched. Do not know if old switch worked as it was broken. Have installed a toggle switch which I currently have so it functions but hoping to track down solution
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

I went through that exact same routine a year ago with my 79. Tried two aftermarket wiper/washer switches with the same result-intermittent would not shut off. Solution-I located and installed a NOS SWF factory switch. Problem solved. Bugcity in CT has a few left but they are not cheap.
If you're not willing to spend that kind of money then your only option is to bypass the intermittent relay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgwduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Super Convertible Intermittent Wiper stuck on Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I did try an after market switch first and the washer fluid function leaked so it went no further. This actually was a nos oem and all other functions work fine. I am curious which wire could be traced or grounded to prove if the switch is good or bad before I remove it. From what I have read it is grounded to be off and the intermittent breakys this ground. If not the switch maybe a wire is damaged or not making good contact. All other functions work fine. Any other suggestions or key in on a bad new switch?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: