Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing the Ghiapet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

On my car, 'all metal filler' is ' cut out & weld in new metal to do the job properly'.

On Chris's car, it's JBWeld, because I ran out of Bazooka gum.

bryan

Nope, it’s Big League Chew, when only the best will do. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

So, after 100 miles yesterday & another 25 this morning, the Ghiapet gave me a little warning about 3 blocks from work with a little stumble & a slight hesitation upon acceleration. Crap, I assumed that I got a defective condenser from the wire fire the other day so I ordered another one & a set of points also.

I pulled the distributor (it’s the easiest way to get that damned grommet through the housing) & began taking it all apart. When I removed the cap, the rotor looked odd...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ohhh, gotcha! Thanks for the warning.

I looked all over & didn’t have a compatible cap & rotor & no one local had one so I snagged a 009 from another engine & plugged it in place.

After getting it adjusted & timed, I turned my attention to replacing the missing gaskets between the heat exchangers & the bellows by borrowing the seal from another project.

I guess I’ll see if there’s any improvement in the heat flow since it’s supposed to be in the 20°s tonight.

That cinches up today’s “Silence is golden... duct tape is silver.”.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

That cinches up today’s “Silence is golden... duct tape is silver.”.

You do know that Duck Tape is now available in a wide variety of colors these days, right?

... including GOLD!

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

There’s a difference between “DUCK” tape & duct tape, the real stuff is much stronger & stickier & only comes in silver. Laughing No HVAC guy uses the Duck tape, especially the colored crap.

I got the replacement cap & rotor & reinstalled the SVDA, it’s amazing how much better the car drives with the proper distributor.

Past that, nothing much to report here.

That concludes another installment of “Are YOU talkin to me?”.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Today I visited a local roll cage builder to see about getting the car up to standards to enter into some of the NASA sanctioned events, sadly, he declined due to space constraints so it looks like I’ll need to build it myself.

But on the 130 miles that I ran up today, I snagged some pics.

And then taking in some of the vivid contrasts of colors...

Reds, yellows, oranges, greens, & pinks?!?

That closes this chapter of “I’d buy that for a dollar.”.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

I rolled over yet another 1,000 miles...

One day I'll fix that damn needle. Rolling Eyes

So I have put roughly 9,000 miles on the beast since July (Remember, that due to the tire size, the speedometer is about 10-15% pessimistic.), how many other Ghias are racking up that kind of mileage?

Aside from replacing the fuel sender unit, I haven’t had (/a chance to) do anything to it.

That’s today’s finale of “No stop signs, speed limits, nobody’ Gonna slow me down...”.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

On the Highway to Hell, miles count twice, its the way to the promised land!
Thanx!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

The fuel gauge works since I installed the new sender unit but now I have a suspiciously long reserve, close to 100 miles, so I removed the sender & adjusted it a bit, we’ll see how close it is now. While I was in the trunk, & since we’re supposed to get snow, I decided to try to block some of the draft coming through all the holes in the late model dash by taping over them with aluminum tape.

Yes, it looks like crap but it’s bound to be better. The heat works great but the breeze just ain’t comfortable on the paws.

While I was back there, I finally got around to replacing the bulb in the fuel gauge. Imagine that, being able to see the working gauge at night too. Rolling Eyes

One day, I might have everything working. Laughing

That seals up today’s “Wind, in my hair, shifting & drifting... mechanical music... adrenaline surge...”

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
...That seals up today’s “Wind, in my hair, shifting & drifting... mechanical music... adrenaline surge...”
Now you quoting from my play list. The only thing missing is a one lane bridge and a race against Chris Runge's Frankfurt Flyer.

You really should turn this thread into a coffee table book. Very Happy

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Last night, it snowed. We got a total of about 7”.

We had lots of fun out in it.

(Disregard that car backed into the woods Razz)

After dropping my daughter off at work at the mall, I started to play in the fresh snow in the upper parking deck of the mall by using it as my personal drift course. I was quickly interrupted by some local track officials. Evil or Very Mad Much to my delight, they were more interested in what kind of car it was & told me to carry on as they wanted to watch. Very Happy So I did & managed to clear the snow off most of the deck.

This concludes today’s “Through all these cities & all these towns, it’s in my blood & it’s all around...”

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Great to see your ongoing love affair with your daily driver Chris Very Happy

Your attitude is so refreshing to those of us who wrap our Ghias in cotton-wool. I can't say you'll be seeing many pictures of my Ghia in snow this winter...not least because snow is rare and fleeting in these parts. A little salt on the roads is enough to keep my Ghia tucked-up im its garage. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Thanks John! Yes, I resurrected mine to beat on & actually use as a car. While it’s not quite as photogenic as your beautiful Ghia (And most of the others for that matter.) & I have no where near your photography skills, the Ghiapet allows me to get into places that no one else would dare to take their cars.

You wouldn’t believe the trees that I ran over to get back here. Twisted Evil

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Well... I’m sure y’all knew it was gonna happen, I hit a tree today.

Fortunately, it was in the fender that I had already beat out.

But it was totally worth the shot.

Now I just need to get a signal lens & a center section for the front bumper. Rolling Eyes

That concludes today’s “You never see what you want to see, forever playing to the gallery...”

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

...only a tree huh...looks like you took the side outa the house. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

No... He hit the tree AFTER he went through the house.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

What's to repair, just adding to the "Patina". Remember, if you're gonna hit something, hit it hard and make it feel the pain!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Someone took the Long Way Home.

bryan
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Someone took the Long Way Home.

bryan

The song reference thing is kinda fun instead of just the random thoughts, I'm glad that y'all have picked up on it Very Happy .

I just realized that a year has passed since I bought the Ghiapet. Since I didn't take possession of it for almost another month, I feel that I've made decent progress so far.

Since this thread is all about the failures along with the victories, I decided to share the continuation of the rear window gasket install saga.

Now I know why xzener gave up on these West Coast Metric gaskets & posted them in the parting It forward thread. They suck great big, hairy, FU&%*NG, donkey AZZ. (But thank you anyway!)

After three attempts, a few months ago, to get the glass in with the trim, I stuffed the widow into the hole with just the gasket due to an impending storm.

Since the trim was not in place, the gasket still allowed some water ingress. So with another storm approaching, I decided to attempt it again. Rolling Eyes

WTF is it about trying to do something that requires complete concentration, that every long winded person comes up & wants to ask you 50 questions ?!?

Then, once they have interrupted your progress, they then want to stand around & critique the process & "try" to help. GET THE F*&# AWAY FROM ME & LEAVE ME THE F#&* ALONE!

After 5 more failed attempts due to interruptions, I locked the doors pulled the glass again to start over. The main reason for all of the failed attempts is due to the trim popping out of the groove in the seal as the seal is pulled into the aperture. So I solved that! After cleaning the trim & the gasket thoroughly, I injected some 3M WindowWeld into the trim grove, inserted the trim & went home.

This morning, I pulled out my trusty cord (I've installed hundreds of windows with this same cord & Bic pen tube.

Then using the tube, I zip the cord into the groove, this is probably the most enjoyable part of the process.

With a bit of aligning, beating & adjusting, I then pull the glass into the frame.

And then beat the glass into place.

That ties up this installation of "A friend of mine once told me, his one & only aim, to build a giant castle...".

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

So take a good look at my face You'll see my smile looks out of place Yeah, look a little bit closer and it's easy to trace The tracks of my tears. I need you, need you. I need you to polish the front trim so it looks as great as the rear window trim!
Hey, post a photo of the bumper parts you need or PM me, I might be able to help out.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing the Ghiapet Reply with quote

Thanks Darrel! Oddly, the slight bump on the drivers side bumper end was enough to blow apart the chrome plating that was holding together the rust that was the center section. I knew that it was weak but it’s about as structural as if I had wrapped it with foil.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 42

Jump to: