Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

Installed 1.1:1 rockers on my 40 horse. Previous owner had been setting valve lash .008 intake and .012 exhaust. **It has late '65 square boss 373 heads which are supposed to be .006. As a result, the old rocker tips were trashed and the valve stems don't look the best.

Today I installed lash caps and shimmed at the stand with .055 shims. I need to know if my geometry looks incorrect. ****Keep in mind, I was doing experiments with the other rockers. In the photos, pics are only of #1 intake and exhaust. #1 exhaust was still 1.1 early rocker in the picture. Later today I installed the later rockers at ALL positions.
One concern is that I may need to remove the .055 shims at stands altogether. I feel that my tips are hitting a hair too high on the valves.

*The heads with rockers removed. Shows wear to valve stems

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*Shows rockers at closed position and LASH CAPS/shims installed

*Half lift

*Full lift

*Best picture I could get of swipe on lash caps

*What the rockers looked like BEFORE stand shims and lash caps.

Any help is appreciated! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME[/img][/url]
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

if it's a .080" lash cap and 1:1 rocker I wood thnk it needs .040" worth of shim.1.1 rocker probably .045" I cant tell from your pics the geo. but i would a,lso reemove heads and either replace them or fix them.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

Was this rockerm swap just a quick upgrade, or did the lil' 40HP have a valve train issue?
The valve stem tips in 1st pic appear hammered: at minimum, it would help to recondition or replace the adjuster screws.
smitty24 wrote:
..... the old rocker tips were trashed ..... Shows wear to valve stems

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Was this rockerm swap just a quick upgrade, or did the lil' 40HP have a valve train issue?
The valve stem tips in 1st pic appear hammered: at minimum, it would help to recondition or replace the adjuster screws.
smitty24 wrote:
..... the old rocker tips were trashed ..... Shows wear to valve stems

I've only put a few hours of drive time on this motor. I've been blessed to get to spend more time fixing PO's neglect, than driving it. He's one of those local hack VW shop hoarder/owner/ "mechanics" where you really wonder how they've made it thus far! Long story...anyway, he told me he always ran the valves at .008 and .012 "because that is how you always do a 40!" Literally what he told me. Well these are the late square boss heads = WERE .004-.006 FROM FACTORY! No surprise they ran like ass and looked like shit!

The tips WERE very galded, corrosion pits, wore down flat, many even chipped. The 3/4 side actually looks worse. Decided to rebuild them. When I removed rockers, many wouldn't rotate smooth as expected. I degreased everything, sanded/polished the shafts and sides of all rockers, used Liqui Moly on all surfaces, replaced ALL 8 tips with new rounded ones or good used. Cleaned and oiled the flat/spring washer assemblies.

This little experiment was to just check if valve lash caps and later rockers could be made to work on this motor. At this moment, I am not sure which direction to take. I could try and run the lash caps for a while, with later rockers and shims or no shims. I'm not sure I want to run the caps because the valve tips are so jacked up, they are VERY loose! Like a lot more than normal loose fitting caps. They will most likely fall off.

The 1.1:1 rockers hit slightly too high on the valve tips WITHOUT the caps and shims. I think to get the later ones to work right, I would need to either get longer pushrods or machine the stands...both more trouble than this is worth. I believe the late '65 pushrods are 1/2" shorter than 1600 units.

I've never done a motor this small! Been a learning experience. Made some upgrades while repairing PO's skills! I've only owned the motor 3 months. He had EVERYTHING wrong you could have on these motors! Everything neglected, broken, wore out, mismatched, needing rebuild and replacement.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

The plan is a tiny bit clearer, so maybe focus upon what you'd like to achieve here - 'cuz so far everything points to throwing cash at a terminally ill engine:
smitty24 wrote:
This little experiment .......
not sure which direction to take.
spend more time fixing PO's neglect, than driving it.
need to either get longer pushrods or machine the stands...both more trouble than this is worth.
EVERYTHING wrong ..... neglected, broken, wore out, mismatched, needing rebuild and replacement.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

If you are just trying to get home, in the middle of nowhere, then this is what you do to make it home. But if you are installing these caps to prolong the agony, then save yourself the trouble and just pull the heads and change out those valves.

if the stems are already pounded down - they are trash.

If you use the caps on those stems, make sure the caps are NOT sitting on the keepers. You have to shorten them so they are sitting on the valve stem.

Even lawnmowers do not get this kind of treatment you guys do to these engines. Pathetic.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
If you are just trying to get home, in the middle of nowhere, then this is what you do to make it home. But if you are installing these caps to prolong the agony, then save yourself the trouble and just pull the heads and change out those valves.

if the stems are already pounded down - they are trash.

If you use the caps on those stems, make sure the caps are NOT sitting on the keepers. You have to shorten them so they are sitting on the valve stem.

Even lawnmowers do not get this kind of treatment you guys do to these engines. Pathetic.

Yes I agree. And the previous owner did all this...and is a VW shop mechanic/owner. I wouldn't normally go through this hassle but the car has to be fixed. I pulled the Wright Pro Street and my 2054 for the other car. This car is getting put up for sale and needed a stock engine that runs right. I've only owned this 40 horse for a few months. If it were my engine, I would NEVER allow it to get near this point. I am meticulous about maintenance and tuning, making improvements over stock.

Is it practical to assume I could pull heads and just replace valves/keepers/etc. or would it most likely be an expensive rebuild?

I came to the conclusion it wouldn't be wise to use the caps, since they are far too loose on some of the tips. My luck, one (or more) would come off and get stuck between the rocker tip or fall altogether into the engine!
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

I'm surprised the caps even fit on to the stems. Even on my brand new heads there a tight fit and may require a special tool for me to get them off lol. But to agree with what others have said, new valves or heads. Stock heads can be had cheap and you might take them to a machine shop to find cracks and the like. Sometimes new is cheaper but even on new heads I would still lap the valves.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

There's a fixture on valve-grinding machines to clean up valve stems.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
There's a fixture on valve-grinding machines to clean up valve stems.
yes there is, if the valves are worth saving.for oe valves I would throw them away and replace with some good stainless valves, CB perf has some good inexpensive stainless valves.( Im not sure what all sizes that have them in but big can be made smaller!!!)
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. I will look at CB and some others. VW shops that know this type of work are drying up. I thought about sending them to Brothers but it would most likely exceed what I want to spend right now.
If there were no cracks in the heads, would there be machining involved or basically just lapping valves in? I am not familiar with what labor and parts it takes to typically do new valves and no machine work. I myself could buy the compressor tool and do the valves, but assume these heads are going to be a lot more involved than that.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

With new valves you would still have to have the seats ground if the seats are still ok. Lots of variables in valves lol. If you were closer I have a set of dual port heads that could be cleaned up and lapped but maybe look for a machine shop that does head work. Valve and seat grinding tools are fairly universal. I learned in high school how to do valves and seats on vw heads but haven't done it since then lol.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on my rocker assembly (with photos) Reply with quote

SCAT caps are so loose sometimes that they'll fit over anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: