Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Light weight car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Didget69 mentioned you can't flat tow certain years of SmartCars. I suggested a Miata (MX-5) which is a little overweight but at least has features and is streamlined. Be sure to check the owners manual as the latest ND version (2016 up) cannot be flat towed (that applies to both manual trans and automatic). Apparently, the trans oil is not circulated when towing and bearings will be destroyed.

Last edited by Wolfgangdieter on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

woodoctr wrote:
It's beginning to sound like the thing to replace here is the Winnebago. In my furniture restoration business we have used trucks as well as towing trailers. Towing requires more than minimal transmissions.

Kinda sounds right, trying to build something with the amenities one wants in towed vehicle and then trying to put it behind a weak power train (winnie) is just going to create a headache that is going to get very expensive for (continual) repairs ...And neither part of the "system" will stand up to the use one wants because of all the cut corners...

I have always gone with tow vehicles I am sure will handle anything i need (want) to tow, not try to match towed load to towing vehicle...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Why not a clean baja?...with a lot of metal weight removed and replaced with fiberglass parts your weight should be around 1500lbs. ..install a Vintage Air hvac and your set.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Get a vintage Honda 305 with a side car. Laughing

With the features you want, you're not going to find anything substantially lighter than what you've tried and make that weak transaxle live. You'd be hard pressed to get a 'glass car under 1500# with doors and A/C. A 300# weight saving isn't enough for what you need.

My buggy is right around 1150 but it has absolutely nothing for creature comforts other than comfy seats. I've always dreamed of building an aluminum chassis for one though....................

brad
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
1953 VW (or pinto 4 cyl) based MGTD kit car.

Have you thought of adding a transmission cooler to the Winnie?

MG, great idea. I am researching them now. Mercedes also would probably work, but they are not very good looking.
I guess I should give full disclosure.
I added the larger trans fluid cooler in front of the radiator before problems and added a heavy duty valve body after problems appeared.
Could I now tow 2,000 lbs?, maybe, but I am not tempting fate. VW dealerships will not work on the Vista 21B so when you are stuck, you can be really stuck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

woodoctr wrote:
Yeah, when I built my Bradley Gt

Doors are not easy on a Bradley.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
For light weight with the opportunity for weather protection and easy entry, try to find a Manx Resorter or one of the copies.

Thanks Andy,
Because we live in PA and travel to warmer climates. My wife insists on AC and heat.
I can do them both on the Manx.
The low sill and Jeep style doors are new to me and attractive.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
If you put a Subaru engine in a buggy

Thanks Tom,
Yes, high on my list is Subaru power.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

I see nothing but failure written all over this one. The Vista 21B is not going to do what you want it to do. You will end up wasting lots of money to figure it out. A Subie conversion is throwing more good money at a bad situation. Sell it and move on to real motorhome with a V8 and a 5000 Lb. towing capacity.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

What does a Subaru engine with rad and coolant weigh compared to a VW air cooled engine?
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

I don't know how much just the Subaru conversion adds to the vehicle. Kathleen's Manxter (full length chassis), Subaru STI equivalent engine, Mendeola XDC 5 speed transaxle, Mendeola front & rear coil over suspension, 4 wheel disks with heavy wheels weighs just over 2000#. But somehow has enough HP to move "right along". Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
With the features you need only a couple ideas come to mind.

1. Chevy Sprint.

2. ld Datsun 1200 sedan

3. Japanese micro car.

Or a fiberglass T-bucket. I can make doors and install everything else. But I am still watching that Karma Manx on eBay.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I see nothing but failure written all over this one.

I appreciate your opinion.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

neisman wrote:
I have a Winnebago 21B which is a 21' motor home built using a 2002 Eurovan cab, engine and transmission. I need a toad (Tow behind car).
However the transmission is very sensitive to weight and the engine does not have an excess of power. Sooooo, I am asking if anybody has any suggestions that might help me find/make/customize a light weight toad. We have towed an old Festiva and ended up with transmission repairs.
The toad will need to be enclosed, have heat, AC, and doors (All of which I can add) because my wife cannot climb in and out of the average dune buggy. A convertible or Carson top with side curtains is fine and I can do much customizing.
I am leaning toward a dune buggy type with flat sides that can be made into doors. It would be a great help if anybody has converted the other dune buggy bodies to doors and could advise me.

WHAT are you trying to achieve with this 'towed vehicle'?

A vehicle for On-Road use only after parking the Winnie?
A vehicle for Off-Road use after parking the Winnie?

A vehicle to get you to a repair shop after the Winnie leaves you on the side of the road with a toasted transmission?

Please describe your intended use...

bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
There's one of these on ebay now. Basically all you were looking for

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not much easier to get into than regular Manx.

bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
With the features you need only a couple ideas come to mind.

1. Find a nice early Chevy Sprint. This is the predecessor to the Geo Metro and the older ones only weight about 1500 lb.

2. In the same vein, an old Datsun 1200 sedan that was restored is similar in size and power and only about 100 lb. heavier.

3. Look into an imported Japanese micro car. There are places that sell them, they have to me more than 25 years old. Here is an example, if you scroll through you will see some of the tiny Japanese domestic cars. I don't know how light they are and I don't know if any can be flat towed (most are auto trans.)

1) Geo Metro will be newer & similar weight, but parts availability may be an issue. First gen Honda CRX; HF model was lightest. Again, age & condition is an issue.

3) Japanese Kei cars: fun cars, but parts availability Stateside is an issue. Many were available with a manual transmission, but 550 - 660cc engines can tax an A/C system. I speak from experience on this.

bryan
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

Please describe your intended use...

bryan

Drive it when the motor home is parked.. That is the job of a toad.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Toad doesn't denote a specific task that the vehicle is to be used for.

bnc
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Toad doesn't denote a specific task that the vehicle is to be used for.

bnc

OK, as you wish.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight car Reply with quote

Thank you everybody. I think I got everything that I am going to get out of this thread.
I am going to digest the information and move on.

Regards to all, Karl
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: