Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A second prototype of the type 14
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

I also note the different license plates
WOB A525
OS K 63
OS K 64
WOB for Wolfsburg
OS for Osnabruck

I have a another prototype OS A 226

Would that mean that the OS prototypes are built by Karmann and the WOB prototype by Volkswagen ?????
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
... I have had 14 vistit at karmann company in this time . Never saw a other prototype like the famous Coupe. ...

Hello Udo,

thanks for your meaningful statement. Rolling Eyes

I believe to know, that you also have been in the "hidden catacombs" in the cellar of the legendary KARMANN-car-collection.

So - if you didn't saw those other prototypes there, we must have to search them perhaps in the "holy halls" of Carozzeria Ghia (Torino/Italy). Wink

@ All:
Was anybody already there Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

GHIA wrote:
I also note the different license plates
WOB A525
OS K 63
OS K 64
WOB for Wolfsburg
OS for Osnabruck

I have a another prototype OS A 226

Would that mean that the OS prototypes are built by Karmann and the WOB prototype by Volkswagen ?????

Maybe you are right. Maybe. Can you show us OS A 226?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

wolfgang klinkert wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:
... I have had 14 vistit at karmann company in this time . Never saw a other prototype like the famous Coupe. ...

Hello Udo,

thanks for your meaningful statement. Rolling Eyes

I believe to know, that you also have been in the "hidden catacombs" in the cellar of the legendary KARMANN-car-collection.

So - if you didn't saw those other prototypes there, we must have to search them perhaps in the "holy halls" of Carozzeria Ghia (Torino/Italy). Wink

@ All:
Was anybody already there Question

Hi Wolfgang. I was in cellar and hidden halls for a lot of times. Nowhere was an prototype shown at this thread. So we must searching at italian scene or visit torino for us self.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Here we have an interesting link for Ghia Volkswagen prototypes:

Arrow http://www.coachbuild.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11956

They disclose the year dates of the respective development.

Some more KG prototypes are shown here:

Arrow http://www.angelfire.com/home/ghiagrindearly/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:

Can you show us OS A 226?

It's the one on the third line on the link posted by Wolfgang

http://www.angelfire.com/home/ghiagrindearly/
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

wolfgang klinkert wrote:
Some more KG prototypes are shown here:

Arrow http://www.angelfire.com/home/ghiagrindearly/

From that link ...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Here's an interesting one. Notice that the rear fender line on this prototype
is not included in the final design of the T34.

That rear fender line was an interesting way to try and tie the Type III Ghia design back to the Type 14 Karmann Ghia design.
I'd love to see what it would look like if the rearward facing lower portion of that feature was modified so that it curved forward like the original Ghia rear fender line.
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

GHIA wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

Can you show us OS A 226?

It's the one on the third line on the link posted by Wolfgang

http://www.angelfire.com/home/ghiagrindearly/

wow ... I would like to see that car with a license plate Exclamation
Please show us that photo ..... Shocked
GHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

wolfgang klinkert wrote:
wow ... I would like to see that car with a license plate Exclamation
Please show us that photo ..... Shocked

Karmann spider OS A 226 Very Happy

From your link

wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for that picture. Cool
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

GHIA wrote:
X2 on the "Thanks for sharing." I really like that spider look. I may attempt to replicate it on my build. There is also a picture floating around of an early prototype that had wide vents on the vertical face of the engine lid. I have been contemplating adding that detail as well.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Just found this on Facebook...

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Just found this on Facebook...

DING, DING, DING ...we have a winnwe. That's the pictrure I was referring to. Combine those with the spider look and you have a pretty unique look approved by Carrozzeria Ghia themselves. (at least that's what I'll tell myself if i go down that route)

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

^^^ Yes that's the original 1953 Karmann Ghia prototype shown at The Frankfurt Motor Show. 5 pages of pictures and discussion here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2258256#2258256
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Why does it look like a girl in the background is texting?!?! Shocked How old is this picture?? Laughing
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Because the car still exists as part of the Karmann collection.

When I toured the Karmann factory in 91, they had this car on a raised platform about ½m high. From the angle of the camera, it looks like it's still on there.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like that spider look. I may attempt to replicate it on my build

Fiz, about 25 yrs ago I also contemplated such a build. Many of the old photos above are seen in the book "VW Treasures by Karmann" by Jan P. Norbye (c 1985). Around that time I saw an early '60's Ghia coupe at the Kelley Park VW Show in San Jose CA which had a Beetle sliding sunroof grafted in. Although the owner shortened the overall length, I remember him telling me that the side-to-side roof contour was the same for Beetle and Ghia. Remembering that bit of detail, I had a '73 parts Beetle that I cut into pieces for scrap due to excessive lower body rust. I cut out a large section of the roof from rain gutter to gutter, intending to keep it as the donor panel which could be used as the filler above the Ghia rear seat in case I ever actually built such a roadster.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: A second prototype of the type 14 Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
I really like that spider look. I may attempt to replicate it on my build
...I cut out a large section of the roof from rain gutter to gutter, intending to keep it as the donor panel which could be used as the filler above the Ghia rear seat in case I ever actually built such a roadster.
That is pure genius. I keep forgetting to step outside the box during my build Embarassed
Now, back to the topic at hand.

-----
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: