Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird Turn Signal Help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

Hi All- I am trying to troubleshoot my 76 Westy- having some weird turn signal issues and looking for some direction-

Right turn- blinker light and alternator light come on- no lights blinking on exterior.

Left turn- blinker light comes on, blinks fast and lights on exterior blink fast.

E-flasher- nothing happens when I pull the switch. Have checked all the grounds...I think.

The difference between left and right is what is really confusing me-

Thanks for any help!

JP
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

weird stuff happens when the hazard switch pops open. zip tie closed after you are sure it has not popped out springs and what not. Reach under the dash and feel the hazard switch box. feel like its still one piece?
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

Eswitch seems ok- nothing obvious open/broken. I did take the opportunity to make sure the connections were solid. Next step for me is to follow the Bentley and do the turn signal switch test, the relay test and the eswitch test. Unfortunately, I have been slowly working through PO hacks in the wiring and trying to bring things back to where they should be-
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

make sure you don't have a wrong type bulb in there somewhere, and your contacts on both bulb and bus are looking good.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

A fast blinker almost always means I have corrosion on a bulb somewhere in my bus. Check and clean all your bulbs, and check the tail light ground connection to the body of the bus (it is on the right side of the engine hatch) This connection gets loose and corroded over time and has the same effect as corroded bulbs....
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

JP6210 wrote:
Hi All- I am trying to troubleshoot my 76 Westy- having some weird turn signal issues and looking for some direction-

Right turn- blinker light and alternator light come on- no lights blinking on exterior.

Left turn- blinker light comes on, blinks fast and lights on exterior blink fast.

E-flasher- nothing happens when I pull the switch. Have checked all the grounds...I think.

The difference between left and right is what is really confusing me-

Thanks for any help!

JP

This is fascinating.
a) ignition only, both idiot lights (oil and alt) go on? Do they shut off normally upon starting?
b)) if you turn on the ignition only engine-off, what does the right turn indicator do?

Make a note to yourself that the alt/oil/turn indicator bulb sockets are 12 volts (+) when ignition is on, the wires leaving the bulb holders are the ground path,
Colin
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

Check the fuses...I had all kinds of strange things like this going on. They can be hard to see, especially for me...takes lots of light and the strong glasses I wear for watching Matlock. Sometimes those fuses are broken and it's hard to see. Sometimes they look fine but don't work.
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

So...current state:

Have checked all the fuses, and actually replaced with the correct ones in a few cases. Ignition on, pre start, alt and oil lights go on, then out when the engine starts. I still need to check and see what happens with the ignition on and the right signal. But some new symptoms have developed- right turn now blows the fuse. And, while checking I seem to have fried the relay- puff of magic smoke and the lovely Taiwanese relay the PO had in there bubbled and filled my bus with a really unpleasant smell. New, proper relay on the way...

In the meantime, I feel like the turn signal switch itself does not feel smooth- hard to describe other than it feels a bit crunchy- My self cancel function has never worked so I plan on taking it out tomorrow and examining it closely. It passed the Bentley tests, but... And my horn does not work.

And I am still suspicious of the emergency flasher switch- it has not come apart, and passes the Bentley tests, but seems like there are a few failure possibilities there. If the rain stops tomorrow I will trace current per the diagram- I have 12V to the e switch, and from the switch to the relay. Ground checks out at the relay for continuity. I tried jumping the relay, from the white to the other positive contact, in the absence of a relay to continue checking voltages down the line, but that is when the fuse(s) blew.

All of that would seem to point me towards the actual turn signal switch. Maybe...
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

So- turns out crunchy feeling in a turn signal is not a good thing...

Replaced today and cleaned up more connections, replaced a bulb and turn signals and hazard switch are working as they should. Thanks for the suggestions and help!

JP
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

good work!
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

And one more FYI... I purchased a new emer flasher switch from BD at the same time- the shaft for the original knob, does not fit the new switch- so, either verify the size or order both the switch and the knob, and I would still verify with BD that the two they sell are compatible.

Happy Holidays all-

JP
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
They can be hard to see, especially for me...takes lots of light and the strong glasses I wear for watching Matlock. Sometimes those fuses are broken and it's hard to see.

Wow, a flashback to when my grandfather who was legally blind actually used to watch Matlock with his miniature telescope looking thing to see!
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

So- new symptom... Flasher and signals all work as they should. But now when I start the bus the dash indicator blinks and I can hear the relay clicking without the flasher switch or turn signals turned on. It is somewhat sporadic and there are no outside lights flashing when it happens. It does not seem like there s any voltage on the white wire that feeds the flasher relay when it happens. I’m a little stumped. Any ideas or direction would be much appreciated. My limited electrical knowledge says that it must be back feeding from the turn signal switch but the switch is new, and operating correctly. I guess my next step is to see if I can unplug the turn signal switch when it is happening and see if that stops it.

JP
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

Hi Folks- bumping this up to see of anyone has any ideas around my turn signal dash light and flasher operating with ignition on but no emergency switch or turn signal on. I have checked the e switch and my turn signal switch is new. Signals, and emergency flashers work as they should and there are no lights flashing on the exterior when this happens. Thanks!

JP
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

How big a wattage is your arrow bulb in the fuel gauge?, does it still click constantly if you remove the bulb?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
How big a wattage is your arrow bulb in the fuel gauge?, does it still click constantly if you remove the bulb?

Hi busdaddy- I will check- I assume, (and I should not), that you mean the TS indicator bulb in the cluster? Or should I be checking something related to the fuel gauge?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

Yes, the indicator bulb.

Is there power to the fuel gauge and idiot lights when the key is on?, the flasher could be trying to feed that circuit through the indicator bulb.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
JP6210
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Turn Signal Help Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yes, the indicator bulb.

Is there power to the fuel gauge and idiot lights when the key is on?, the flasher could be trying to feed that circuit through the indicator bulb.

Yes- the fuel gauge and oil and alt lights come on when turning the key on- the idiot lights go out when the engine starts. I still need to check the bulb-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: