Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

dlmcclou wrote:
Hey Bob,

I went through your build thread and holy F that was quite the build! Great attention to detail and simply the can-do attitude to get it done. I grew up fabbing parts with my dad on CJ7's and such and we saw way worse than my square.

Funny thing, I hadn't talked to my dad in over a year but when I called and told him I got this thing it was kind of magical. He'll likely come visit and help with some fabrication and repair work. He spent most of his 20's building bugs and dune buggies so he will likely be a wellspring of knowledge.

I used to have the tear down link in my signature too. But if you look in my gallery here on the Samba, in the Notch section, you can see all of the pics of the tear down, and the rebuild. Most of all that work happened in 5 months of after work and weekends (started in late June, and was mostly done by Christmas). I think I took 3 days off, when I went up north (West Branch) for a small game hunting weekend (mostly got drunk, and bon fired for 2 of those days) to clear my head and get rejuvenated. Paint started going on in November, and was finished in early December. Then the reassembly started.

If you're used to fabbing parts, you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. I'd get a Brown Bentley for it though, as it'll pay for itself quickly. There are wiring diagrams in the Tech section of this site (upper right corner of the page), but it defaults to Type 2, so you have to click on type 3 to get the diagram for your year.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I got a bentley on order. I've had several rabbits, golfs and Jettas over the years and those manuals are the bee's knees for sure.

For the wiring it cracks me up how little there is! I could rewire this car from scratch in one day. Helps to be a nerd who has a very good understanding of circuits. 🙂

I hope to start tearing the front end apart on Sunday. I'll post pics then and post them on here and my Instagram.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

This video might be helpful to try to get your engine running after a brief surface clean-up. But for durable repairs, definitely replace the fuel hoses per Bobnotch's advice. I had a '71 Fastback in '76 and remember it stalling on me on my way home from community college; the fuel hose near the left front of the engine had split and the high-pressure fuel pump quickly drained the tank. Luckily no fire resulted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F871Uagu5wM

Please share your progress on the car with us once in a while. Wish you success!
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Did a little work today. Inspected the rest of the chassis and bulkhead. That is in great shape. All of my work appears to be body which makes me pretty happy with this few hundred dollar puchase. Front beam needs replaced or rebuilt as the shock mounts are f'ed.

I started taking out the interior to get everything stripped and cleaned up in prep for patching. I cannot get the front seats out!! I push it forward, albeit it really doesn't move and press down on the table on the tunnel side. I ended up spraying the bajeezus pit of it and walking away from it as I had family activities to do.

I did find my worst rust spot which is the passenger heater channel and rocker. Anyone know if I can get these as panels anywhere? Then I can just cut and weld in new without any major problems.

I plan to work more tomorrow so I'll post pictures then. I may just put it all on Instagram and post up the link. Snapping and uploading to the board is a pain. Smile
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I have 1 only real nice passenger heater channel to "cut to order" for $300 shipped.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

dlmcclou wrote:
Did a little work today. Inspected the rest of the chassis and bulkhead. That is in great shape. All of my work appears to be body which makes me pretty happy with this few hundred dollar puchase. Front beam needs replaced or rebuilt as the shock mounts are f'ed.

I started taking out the interior to get everything stripped and cleaned up in prep for patching. I cannot get the front seats out!! I push it forward, albeit it really doesn't move and press down on the table on the tunnel side. I ended up spraying the bajeezus pit of it and walking away from it as I had family activities to do.

I did find my worst rust spot which is the passenger heater channel and rocker. Anyone know if I can get these as panels anywhere? Then I can just cut and weld in new without any major problems.

I plan to work more tomorrow so I'll post pictures then. I may just put it all on Instagram and post up the link. Snapping and uploading to the board is a pain. Smile

Depending on where the rust in the beam is, you might be able to get away with patching it.
I've found that after spraying the hell out of the sliders, you can use a rubber mallet to move them forward. You'll have to alternate between doing the tunnel side and the door opening side while lifting the outer lever. Don't worry about denting the base, as that can be repaired after the seat is out.
Yes, post some pics of the rocker/heater channel rust.

Oh, if you post your pic in your gallery (it's free), your pics will stay here forever. I've got a thread on here that's 11 years old, and all of my pics are still here in that thread. But those who used someone/something else to host them are the ones that are gone. I'm pretty sure I still have pics on here from 2003 as well. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Got around to getting the front off today. Found the beam is in better shape than I initially thought. I'll get it off this week and begin rebuilding it. Fenders have the typical rot up in the rear portions. Anyone try to repair these type of decay or is it better to get usable ones from another car? Beyond that I need to cut and Fab new bumper mounts.

Everything is looking decent so far for what I have into this thing. Most rot is dollar bill or smaller. Easy to fab or POR15 it. As I want to drive this thing I'm not looking to make this back to original but functional, fun and safe. I didn't get good shots of the rockers but will get some this week. Next is to go to town on the front portion grinding and cleaning it up. I plan to break the car down to thirds (front, middle, rear) to create goals and milestones to stay fully engaged in the project. Overall pretty happy with this project. Good bones as they say. For $500 getting a complete and doable project is a great.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Most of the rust I see in your pics looks like "standard equipment" rust, or the places they normally rust. As for the front fenders, where your rust is, is in the normal places. I believe there are several build threads (Clatter's, and 260KM's for example) that show rebuilding of the rear edge of the fenders. On my 71 Notch, I split 2 damaged fenders in half and made 1 good 1 from them. You might try looking in the classifieds or giving Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) an e-mail, and see if he has any good used ones. Expect to pay about 70 bucks to ship them from the west coast though.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Hey Bob. You are awesome buddy. I will reach out to folks to get parts but yes I agreess these are the normal wear for a car this age and consequently fairly straight forward repairs. Got slowed down this week due to family life but hope to do a few more hours of wrenching this weekend. Smile
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

Sorry no updates this week. Home life is a bit of a wreck so the fun stuff takes a back seat.

At any rate I have thought about a few things. I want this to be a driver and I plan to keep it a while. All things aside does anyone ever consider just doing a heater channel delete and then measure, mark, cut and bend a 90 degree piece of sheet metal and weld to the rocker skin? For structural rigidity one could weld some ribs on the inside of the fabricated part. Cosmetically it would honestly look fine to me and many folks. I personally will never drive it in cold temps or winter.

Let me know your thoughts sports fans.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

dlmcclou wrote:
Sorry no updates this week. Home life is a bit of a wreck so the fun stuff takes a back seat.

At any rate I have thought about a few things. I want this to be a driver and I plan to keep it a while. All things aside does anyone ever consider just doing a heater channel delete and then measure, mark, cut and bend a 90 degree piece of sheet metal and weld to the rocker skin? For structural rigidity one could weld some ribs on the inside of the fabricated part. Cosmetically it would honestly look fine to me and many folks. I personally will never drive it in cold temps or winter.

Let me know your thoughts sports fans.

I know I did something like you're talking about for a guy who visits here on occasion, except I used a piece of 2 inch exhaust pipe for the heat to flow thru in. It was a 69 Square. I ended up adding a thick piece (14 gauge steel) along the bottom (inside) and welded in some some nuts to bolt that part to the floor pan. I didn't take pics of it, but he did. It was basically a squared "C" shape with tabs going both up and down to give me something to weld to the outer rocker skin (from CIP). Since he lives in Wisconsin, it gets pretty cool in the evenings, which is why he wanted the heat to function. He parks the car in a hanger on jack stands for the winter. He also bought the car new (1 owner). Keep in mind that those heater channels run up to the windshield for defogging. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
dlmcclou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

I may consider that too. I promised my wife I would not spend a fortune on this car and I have the fab skills but am glad I can bounce the idea off this place so I don't sound like a total nut job and it not be consider too "hacky". Because Lord knows I must maintain my carefully crafted image of not being a hack.....Smile
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rocko: 1970 Squareback Reply with quote

dlmcclou wrote:
I may consider that too. I promised my wife I would not spend a fortune on this car and I have the fab skills but am glad I can bounce the idea off this place so I don't sound like a total nut job and it not be consider too "hacky". Because Lord knows I must maintain my carefully crafted image of not being a hack.....Smile

Well then, I'm probably the last guy you want to take advice from. Laughing See, I've cut the roof off a 71 Squareback, and turned it into a topless Roadster. First it was a 2 seater, then later it became a 4 seater. At one point I even fabricated a soft top that folded down for it, as I didn't drive it much (you never knew when it's going to rain in Michigan). A couple of years ago I decided I was done throwing money at it, so I offered my son whatever he wanted off it, and he took everything from the rear of the doors back, including the rear sub frame. I mainly wanted the pan, as I had replaced the floor and I had a title for it. He wanted it to do an IRS conversion, and also wanted to put a type 4 engine (914 Porsche) in it. It ended working out well for both of us. His car started out as a pile of parts 65 Squareback, that we started on in 2001 or 2002, and he got to drive about a year later. He's been working on it off and on since then. He was happy to get more run time on it this year with the T-4 engine in it.

No you're not a nut job, some of us are crazy though, especially when it comes to rusty VWs, as we want to try and save them IF possible. Have a look at Mont3's build thread, as he shows in his about building rockers for his 67 Squareback that he brought back to life. He also painted it himself with the help from a tutor friend of his. It came out beautiful. Monte also learned as he went, as he's also got a couple of other type 3 projects he's planned to do in the future. But right now he's building a bigger engine for it, so he can enjoy it next year.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: