Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

So someone thought they would cut between my Bus and the gas pump and caught the fuel hose which pulled the fuel door open too far. Now it won't close flush. Is this fixable? I'm assuming so and hoping someone else has done it. Thanks. No I didn't catch the idiot...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Damn, bummer!
Either the hinge is bent, or it's bent where the hinge welds to the door. The fix is to immobilize the hinge with a wooden block or some other device and gently force the door shut against it. Work in small steps removing the block and testing the fit often until it stops where you want it to.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Oh, got it. You were at a gas station filling the tank. Took me a while to figure that out.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

how far away from the pump do you park???
anyway, that sucks. no cameras at the gas station?
edit-did a person trip over the fill line when u were filling it?? I was thinking it was a car!!
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
how far away from the pump do you park???
anyway, that sucks. no cameras at the gas station?
edit-did a person trip over the fill line when u were filling it?? I was thinking it was a car!!

Umm I park about 24" from the pump. Just enough room for me to get to the pump...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

the illusion from the statement is that someone DROVE between the pump and your bus. It looks from the photos you were sideswiped too at one time.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the illusion from the statement is that someone DROVE between the pump and your bus. It looks from the photos you were sideswiped too at one time.

Not sideswiped ever. Original old paint and the white "stripes" are old pinstripes...
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Some pictures for reference. Something in the hinge is likely bent. I think its 2 screws, just remove it and bend it back. It'll be alright. Might take 30min or so to get it correct. Might take 5min...

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Spike0180, Thanks!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Do I see a coiled retainer for the gas cap?? Did you do that yourself?
I've been thinking about something like that, but haven't come up with a good idea. So I may have to plagerize yours, Spike. Laughing
(Except mind doesn't have the door. Hmmmm...)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Do I see a coiled retainer for the gas cap?? Did you do that yourself?
I've been thinking about something like that, but haven't come up with a good idea. So I may have to plagerize yours, Spike. Laughing
(Except mind doesn't have the door. Hmmmm...)

Yes you did. It works. I think its attached to a washer tab with a hole in it under the screw that holds in the filler neck. Super easy and simple, it was there when I got the van. Let me know if you want more pictures.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Fixed! Two screws and the door came off. I held the hinge and bent the door toward the hinge, the direction you would if you were closing it. Bent it just past what I thought "closed" would be. Eyeballed it and reinstalled. Thanks all.
By the way, I glued a magnet inside the fuel door to hold my gas cap.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Nice fix!

You have the rubber bump stops in there, correct? They keep your fuel door quiet amongst clunking American iron at the gas station.

Speaking of filling stations, I stash my gas cap in the pump cradle, so I can’t return the pump without grabbing my gas cap. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Nice fix!

You have the rubber bump stops in there, correct? They keep your fuel door quiet amongst clunking American iron at the gas station.

Speaking of filling stations, I stash my gas cap in the pump cradle, so I can’t return the pump without grabbing my gas cap. Cool

Robbie

Here is my setup

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

Quote:
I glued a magnet inside the fuel door to hold my gas cap.

your car will always drift north now, and some poor soul will have their watch speed up every time you drive by........ not to mention the kids who will lose their barlow knives out of their pockets as you go by. Laughing
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Door will not close flush 1972 Bus Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
I glued a magnet inside the fuel door to hold my gas cap.

your car will always drift north now, and some poor soul will have their watch speed up every time you drive by........ not to mention the kids who will lose their barlow knives out of their pockets as you go by. Laughing

I collect cars keys that way! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: