Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel issue. Baja dies
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Hello all. Ive been having a issue for a while. So here's the scenario

I get in my 66 bug and usually have to give it some gas to get it started/idle. Once the bug is warmed up I am on my way for about a 30 minute drive on the highway. Once I get off the highway into to town, I am in stop and go traffic. About 10-15 mins of traffic later my Baja will slowly die. I will push down the acceleration pedal and she won't rev. Try down shift, won't rev....now I'm on the side of the road. I sit there for approx 45min. Then the Baja will start up again and I'm on my way.

I've tried pouring gas into the carb and she'll start for a while but I'll have to be pushing the acceleration pedal constantly to keep it running.

Side note: I've driven it almost 2 hrs away at a consistant 60-65mph.
Visited family for about an hour and drove it back those same 2 hours. Stopped at the store around the corner from my house (turned car off to go in and get some beer) came back out and she turned on fine.

Thanks to any help
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Also. Very sure it's not vapor lock as I have plenty of fuel in my fuel filter as well as wrapped the very little metal line with alminum foil
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

What’s the carbs? Motor? Fuel pressure? Fuel pump?
What’s the motor specs?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

I had a bad coil act like that. It would heat up and start stumbling and slowly die, not like most electrical on/off problems. Let it sit for a while, start right up, repeat process.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Two thoughts, vacuum in fuel tank the fuel pump can not overcome, how good is tank vent... Maybe next drive with cap loose or off will validate vent problem...

As others mention, coil, as it heats up may be failing as it gets "hot"... Heat makes a connection in side coil go high resistance, as it cools resistance drops and it will run....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
What’s the carbs? Motor? Fuel pressure? Fuel pump?
What’s the motor specs?

34 pict 3. 1600cc. Not sure of fuel pressure. Fuel pump is aftermarket I presume.

I also recently changed the coil so gonna give that a go in a few days
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

When it dies, remove the top of the carb & check fuel level in float bowl. If empty then you need to find out if there is a restriction & where it's at. This could be due to a blockage in the tank, the fuel line, fuel filter, possibly a bad fuel pump, a binding fuel pump pushrod (This presents itself when the engine gets warm & expands causing the fuel pump pushrod spacer to bind the pushrod, after a few minutes of cooling, it releases & starts pumping fuel again.).

If the bowl is full, you might have a piece of trash that intermittently blocks the main jet. Or, you might have an electrical issue, perhaps the points or condenser.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
When it dies, remove the top of the carb & check fuel level in float bowl. If empty then you need to find out if there is a restriction & where it's at. This could be due to a blockage in the tank, the fuel line, fuel filter, possibly a bad fuel pump, a binding fuel pump pushrod (This presents itself when the engine gets warm & expands causing the fuel pump pushrod spacer to bind the pushrod, after a few minutes of cooling, it releases & starts pumping fuel again.).

If the bowl is full, you might have a piece of trash that intermittently blocks the main jet. Or, you might have an electrical issue, perhaps the points or condenser.

That's WAY to hard. You DON'T have to pull the carb apart to see if it is empty of fuel. Just pull off the air cleaner and look down the carb throat. If fuel squirts out of the accelerator jet nozzles when you work the throttle, there's fuel in the bowl. If it doesn't, carb is dry.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Pam's buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

You said you recently changed the coil.
Could be the problem.
What coil did you use?

It could be a good coil and still get hot.
If it's not the right ohm range.
Do you still have the external resistor on it?
If so does the coil have a internal resistor?
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Pam's buggy wrote:
Could be the problem.
What coil did you use?

It's the blue boi
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Have you checked for fuel flow past the filter?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

Heyheyitsraay wrote:
Pam's buggy wrote:
Could be the problem.
What coil did you use?

It's the blue boi

So to update all. Thanks for the replies. I took it for a good long spin today. Turned it off and back on twice while out for about an hour and a half. But I'm only now annoyed with the fact that I also did a express carb clean. So I am unsure if it was the coil or the carb. I am still on edge because I have yet to check the fuel pressure. I borrowed the fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone but it didn't work because the psi we're too high
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

in my experience, just replace all the vacuum hoses before you start troubleshooting.tighten connections, inspect manifold rubber - eliminate any possibility of vacuum leaks, and you may not have any trouble to shoot

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel issue. Baja dies Reply with quote

I have been bitten by the little rubber pigtail fuel line under the gas tank collapsing several times. It still flows enough to run slowly but not at speed. It's the simplest thing to fix too. Replace it first.
Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: