Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replaced stock horn button...stuck tight!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Replaced stock horn button...stuck tight! Reply with quote

Got a nice replacement horn button from the classified's ( thanks, Joshua) as mine was badly cracked and chipped. It's the big spring type. When I popped it off I noticed the mounting bushings where the button snaps onto the wheel were missing most of their little " ears " so I went looking to replace them too. TTS sells. Set of 4 so I ordered them up. Got them today and pulled the old ones off, buffed up the contact screw heads and screwed them onto the wheel. When I snapped the horn button back on, it was stuck tight...no flex at all from the springs like before. Iv've compared the old/new horn buttons . They are the same. Bushings look to be the same. What am I doing wrong?

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced stock horn button...stuck tight! Reply with quote

I believe that there are 2 different sizes for those one for early and one for later steering wheels, but I could be wrong. Photos of your set up would be helpful.

I assume these are the ones you ordered from The Thing Shop, and here are photos of other types. Just put your old ones back on.
http://www.thethingshop.com/HORN-MOUNT-BUSHING-SET/productinfo/321419779/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AirCooled-Horn-Button-....l4275.c10
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113415779

Here is a photo of the two different buttons (top is earlier and bottom is later-see the springs-not sure if the retaining buttons are different
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1103456
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replaced stock horn button...stuck tight! Reply with quote

My button is the later type with the big springs-2nd one one your photo. I can't re-use my old bushings because the little retaining " ears " are worn/broken off, hence the reason for getting new ones. I looked closely at the photo of the ones from Aircooled and it appears the the " ears " are smaller than those from TTS. It also looks like the orig. ones have smaller "ears " as well but it's hard to tell they are so worn. That might explain my problem. Think I'll call TTS and see if they can help.

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: