Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Apron. Repair options
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Rear Apron. Repair options Reply with quote

I have searched a couple of times and haven't found a thread that talks about the rear apron repair or replacement with a fiberglass cover.
Do most people just hammer around on them until they are "straight enough"
How are the fiberglass ones? Do they stand up over time.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Apron. Repair options Reply with quote

As close as the apron is to the muffler, I would not want a fiberglas part there!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Apron. Repair options Reply with quote

ehhh, fiberglass and heat are ok, look at all those side pipe corvettes. Glass packs are literally fiberglass packed into a muffler, and all the header wraps / fixes are fiberglass

but I have zero experience with the part in question
bkeith85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Apron. Repair options Reply with quote

Mine was pushed in just below the latch. It was probably an inch deep and went out about 10" on each side. I used a dent puller with those pins that you use with a spot weld gun. It took a good week or so of pulling a little at a time, then starting all over with more pins a pulling. You have to start on the outside edge of the dent and work your way in. Once you have pulled on all of them, cut them off and do it again. Over and over. Once it was pretty close to the right shape, I used a shrinking disc to get the high spots down. I still had to use body filler to get it looking right.

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's hard to see in the after picture, but I'm happy with the results. It still needs some glazing putty to fill some sanding scratches, but I needed to get some primer on it before the Invasion.

I looked into cutting the apron off and straightening it, but that is a job I didn't want. I also had some access to the back of it when I replaced my cargo floor, but I still couldn't get to it enough to knock the dent out. I tried using a 2x4 through the bellows hole when the engine was out, but that probably did more harm than good. It's just a crappy place to have a dent. It's a shame that so many of our cars have one there.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Apron. Repair options Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
I have searched a couple of times and haven't found a thread that talks about the rear apron repair or replacement with a fiberglass cover.
Do most people just hammer around on them until they are "straight enough"
How are the fiberglass ones? Do they stand up over time.

I know I normally bash it into submission, and tweek it how I want it to look like. From what I understand those fiberglass covers are just that a cover. It goes over the existing rear apron.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: