Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

We do everything by pin location on the Satellite Harnesses, color codes, we don't need no stinking color codes!
Also
I've driven a lot of POS Rental Cars,
20 years later, the Ford Tempo still stands out as the most incompetent car I have ever driven.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
When I ran out of wire colors I clamped two wires to a vise and twisted the other ends in a drill.you can have ALOT of different color wires that way!!!

That’s a good idea. Relying on the twist to make more color combos.

Lol I still need more wire though

I’ll probably end up making a separate harness to the coils from my relay board. This will get some color repeat separation and not take a huge hole to get in the under seat area in back where I have a buttload of room due to no back seat and a monster speaker enclosure

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
Mavelotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

I have some starter wire harness packs

This is 230' of wiring to get you started and includes
Injectors x 4 - 9' - 18ga
TPS - 9' - 20ga
IAT - 9' - 20ga
CLT - 9' - 20ga
Wasted Spark Coil - 9' -18/16ga
VR/Hall Crank Sensor - 11' - 20ga
Fuel Pump - 14' - 16ga

I can make them for individual coils as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

i bought a whole grip of solid colors and striped wires when I did my turbo efi harness off of ebay.

document everything -- every connection by pin and by color.

when you try and change something or trouble shoot a year later, you'll thank yourself.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

theDrew wrote:
i bought a whole grip of solid colors and striped wires when I did my turbo efi harness off of ebay.

document everything -- every connection by pin and by color.

when you try and change something or trouble shoot a year later, you'll thank yourself.

As did I. Good product here but not enough colors. I’ve ended up ordering two of these.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302479120179

The set about will be a good reference for future readers of this thread

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

I haven’t done much to the bug as I’ve been working a lot of overtime. The electric motor repair business is hopping right now.

I did try an idea I had for seating the quick release fuel line fittings into the nylon fuel line. You see all kinds of improvised tools on the internet some using lube and heat. It turns out that a RCBS rock chucker reloading press will press these on like nobody’s business. Make a nice square cut on the nylon line, chamfer the end with your case chamfer tool then lock just a little more hose sticking out of a flare tool clamp than the shank on the fitting. Then seat the fitting into the hose like you were full length resizing a 30/06 case. (Remove the plastic spring clamp first)

VIOLA! Perfect OE style fuel line.

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

That looks like a bullet reloading press. RCBS maybe ?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

that's kind of neat your using tools from one hobby to work on another. good job being resourceful, now clean up that reloading bench Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
that's kind of neat your using tools from one hobby to work on another. good job being resourceful, now clean up that reloading bench Wink

I’ve made wildcat cartridges and even got into bullet casting. I was loading something every day at one point

But I have not loaded anything in two years now. The interest is just gone.

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

LS coil mounting is going to be pretty straightforward inside what’s left of the rear inner fender. This location allows for a pretty standard LS plug wire length

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Having fun taking advantage of this nice extended weekend

Started my electrical panel and with building my fuel system. As you can see this is a “returnless” (short return) system that will operate at a fixed pressure.

The push lock fittings so far are working great. Right now I am planning on tapping the bottom of my tank for 1/4 npt and using the “tee” method of fuel return

My fuel tank is pretty nappy inside so that might need some TLC prior to reinstalling.

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

My engine management harness is done. Barring anything I missed running wires for I will have 24 individual strands going through the rear firewall. A couple of which are shielded cables. Not included are things like gauges, alternator wiring and idiot lights.

Do yourself a favor if you find yourself making one of these. Buy some Polyken 277 harness tape. This stuff is da bomb and makes for nice near looking loom joints and branches.

Projects creep is setting in. After removing the truly massive and totally baller speaker enclosure the previous owner had built I really decided I want to have a back seat. So before where my battery and ignition computer lived underneath a lid where the back seat would have been. My plan is to get a back seat and make a lid to cover where the cargo area was. Then that’s where my injection panel and battery box will live.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Nice...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

For the entire fuel delivery system these were probably the hardest to figure out. A couple small Mom n pop places make an npt to quick release fitting but they are very expensive.

The part number shown with a double flare tool and some flare to npt fittings will get you what you need.

One of these will go on the return at the tee on the bottom of the tank

Another will connect to the front of the passenger side fuel rail

And the other two will make the crossover between the two rails.

All in all I’m very pleased with the OE style nylon fuel lines and fittings. When I planned my fuel lines I made a diagram with all the AN stuff I would need and quickly realized that no matter how good AN stuff is I was gonna have like 30 fittings all of which was a potential leak had I went that route and like a $300 expense of fittings alone. This setup cuts me down to a dozen or so total

gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

That looks really good! The one thing I wished I had done was use a bulkhead plug.it sucks so bad to have to remove every plug on the motor to remove it.also when I used a tee at the bottom of my tank it would return air bubbles once hot that caused weird running issues and it would heat the fuel faster also. Just an fyi....
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
That looks really good! The one thing I wished I had done was use a bulkhead plug.it sucks so bad to have to remove every plug on the motor to remove it.also when I used a tee at the bottom of my tank it would return air bubbles once hot that caused weird running issues and it would heat the fuel faster also. Just an fyi....

A I am a little concerned with that too especially since my “return” is really short.

I am considering welding a bung to the top of my tank as an alternative for this reason

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

I used those same NPT to flare fittings on my fuel rail but just built complete metal fuel crossover lines between the rails.
I also wasn't impressed with using all those AN style fittings at $5.00-$7.00 each.

Nice to see you solve your issues the way that works best for you.

Every build is a personal thing....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

That’s some nice looking tubing bending.

I thought about just using a hard line like you did but I don’t have much luck getting a hard line bend to land where I want it. They’re kinda my nemesis lol

I think I’m going to put a couple of 90 degree tees off the back of the rails and have my crossover line arch along the contour of the shroud with a couple of hold downs along the way.

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

Let’s talk about pre pump filters.

I’m debating if a new fresh screen inside the tank pickup would suffice for pre fuel pump filtration. I bought a 3/8 standard carb fuel filter to serve as a pre filter but to use it I have to have 3/8 rubber fuel line at the intake side of my fuel system.

If I do away with it I can have nylon quick release there as well and not have any rubber or hose clamps anywhere in the system.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Krochus’s turbo 2165 Baja Bug sequential EFI swap Reply with quote

I just bought a bunch of brake line from NAPA that had flares on the ends.

I used this bender for some of it....

https://www.amazon.com/Ion-Tool-3-in-1-Tubing-Bend...ube+bender

I also used one of those cheap benders you can put in the vice. With a little forethought and installing it after one bend.......which might be harder for you since the body is on........you can place the bender on the line to figure out where the next bend goes.
You need to use a rubber mallet to help work the line around the second bender but it works just as well and is cheaper. I think I paid $8.00 for mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648484-Tubing-Be...ube+bender

I did my first one perfect on the bends and flared the second end. While admiring my handywork I then realized I had forgotten to install the second flare nut before doing the flare....... Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I ended up just cutting the 1/4 inch of the flare off and re-flaring it. It still worked but wasn't perfect anymore...... Confused

One thing I have found after a few install and removals is the flares need to be tightened pretty tight in order to not leak. Make sure you check them after pressurizing the system for any seepage and tighten them up again if leaking.

I planned on upgrading them but haven't after 5 years......... Rolling Eyes

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: