Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Oil questions Reply with quote

So I am getting a little frustrated. I checked my oil level and the dip stick showed just a little above first line on dip stick. So I added half a quart and checked oil level seemed good, however car seems to be running rough and heard a noise. Are you supposed to check oil when car is cold? What are indications that I put too much oil in ? Why am I having trouble figuring out if I have correct amount of oil in? Thank you
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

Make sure your car is on a level surface before checking. Also, the engine should be off for at least ten minutes before checking.

Personally, I let the car sit for an hour before checking.

Pull out the dipstick. Pay no attention what the oil level says. Then wipe the dipstick clean and reinsert fully. Take out the dipstick once again and check the level. This is your true reading.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
What are indications that I put too much oil in ?

If there's too much it usually gets pissed out past the oil slinger and you'll see it around the crank pulley.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

So I did all that added the extra oil then the car seemed to bog down and hesitate. So I just used a vacuum extractor sucked out some oil and now car runs good again. Restested the dip stick and it is below the middle line??? Oh when I i initially did the oil change I used a mechanics gun and set it to 2.5 quarts
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

You need to read your Owners Manual that you can access here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php

Lots of stuff in that you need to know. Only bad advice in it is how to run the engine in too low or high of gear. Most likely to help VW sales against other manufactures of full automatic transmission cars of the time.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

I know you said you initially added the correct amount of oil, but just double check the length of the dipstick and or the dipstick tube is correct.

It's happened before.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

Check it first thing in the morning. I’ve had the dipstick level anomaly. I find it gives the most consistent reading before you start it first time of the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
Restested the dip stick and it is below the middle line???

Middle line???
All the stock T1 dip sticks I have seen have two lines...
    Top = Max
    Bottom = Min

Like these. These are two sticks, one from a 36HP while the longer one is for 1200/1300/1500/1600 :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the thread the pic came from:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284280

Please post a pic of your dip stick and describe where the oil level rests when you insert the clean stick.

What the folks above have been trying to describe is how the dip stick measures the oil level in the crankcase. If your engine has recently been running, some oil is still in the upper areas of the engine and needs some time to drain back down into the bottom of the case.
Also, while the engine is running, oil splashes around inside the case. Some may splash on the dip stick ABOVE the Max line. You need to wipe the stick clean before checking so you are measuring the level of the oil resting in the case and not a false reading.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
JD1979 wrote:
What are indications that I put too much oil in ?

If there's too much it usually gets pissed out past the oil slinger and you'll see it around the crank pulley.
mine just smokes it out,terrible smell oil passing rings.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

I just add 2.5quarts of oil at oil change stays between the lines ,the reason you pull stick out and wipe it clean is that oill has a tendency of running up on it giving you false reading ,thus wipe repeat
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
So I am getting a little frustrated. I checked my oil level and the dip stick showed just a little above first line on dip stick. So I added half a quart and checked oil level seemed good, however car seems to be running rough and heard a noise. Are you supposed to check oil when car is cold? What are indications that I put too much oil in ? Why am I having trouble figuring out if I have correct amount of oil in? Thank you

You are having difficulty figuring it out because you do not know the correct procedure.

Running rough may be unrelated to the oil - probably is.

The 'noise' may be unrelated to the oil. What does it sound like and where is it coming from and under what conditions does it happen?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

I've worked on a few hundred of these engines since the late 60's, and I can't recall engine oil level being the direct cause of a rough running engine. I'd start from scratch on the rough running.

1) Electrical - points, plugs, condenser, rotor button, cap, wires, coil (including 12 V feed wire to the coil)

2) Compression - WOT on warm engine, all plugs removed +/- 10% between all cylinders

3) Fuel - carb adjustment or overall well being of the carb, pump output, clean fuel & filter, no leaks (gasoline or vacuum)

4) Valve train - cold lash set properly.

Dozens of reasons for rough idle or performance, but oil level?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

I've worked on a few hundred of these engines since the late 60's, and I can't recall engine oil level being the direct cause of a rough running engine. I'd start from scratch on the rough running.

1) Electrical - points, plugs, condenser, rotor button, cap, wires, coil (including 12 V feed wire to the coil)

2) Compression - WOT on warm engine, all plugs removed +/- 10% between all cylinders

3) Fuel - carb adjustment or overall well being of the carb, pump output, clean fuel & filter, no leaks (gasoline or vacuum)

4) Valve train - cold lash set properly.

Dozens of reasons for rough idle or performance, but oil level?????
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

I feel like an idiot rn. So I guess I have that bad of a leak where I lost almost two quarts of oil in a span of 3 weeks I just added about 1.5quarts got the level correct. I hope the noise I heard was not something related to a bearing or something messing up do to low oil. I guess I need to do a compression check now? I did not run it long with low oil but it did happen. So I guess I need to plan on building a new 2200 engine. The frustration is real Because I just did oil change 3 weeks ago and did not think I could lose that much oil.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

I have owned 58 different AC VW's since 1971. Many of those had operator's manuals in them, and in one of those manuals, I remember reading, "Check and top off engine oil daily". Seemed a little extreme, but experience tells us all that it's nearly impossible to build an engine from a used case that doesn't leak oil from SOMEWHERE - especially as the engine piles up some use and miles.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
The frustration is real Because I just did oil change 3 weeks ago and did not think I could lose that much oil.

Is the oil pressure warning light working??
JD1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

Yes, the red light comes on but only flickers sometimes when it is about to stall. It never just stays on.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil questions Reply with quote

JD1979 wrote:
Yes, the red light comes on but only flickers sometimes when it is about to stall. It never just stays on.

If that light stayed off while driving then you should not have had any oil pressure problem.

If it flicked while going around a curve or corner then you should check oil pressure ASAP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: