Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muftobration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:
The big question is, since they appear to be directional with those blades are there two "lefts" and two "rights?" While I'm sure it does not affect the function, I'd want to see a pic of all four before deciding.

I was intrigued as well. The ad showed four wheels, all identical. Google images also shows identical wheels, not two one way and two the other.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I didn't really think to notice that but yeah that's kind of odd. Logical though as if they had a proper right and left that would cost double to manufacture. I think these are a bit like a barely-functional rear wing, more of a homage to racing than functional. Turbine wheels in racing I believe were oriented such that they sucked air out from under the car at high speeds / rates of rotation thus increasing downforce. I believe they were banned and thus a short lived trend in motorsports, which would make sense as to why these are rare. My history here is shaky though, feel free to correct me.
HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Are there any wheels in 15 or 16" that the original chrome hub caps from the 14" fit onto?
bogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Is it possible I found another wheel option? Question I have an '87 Syncro Westy, and am looking to move from the stock 14" steel set. Hoping to find a set of (5) steel or aluminum 16" wheels - 6.5" wide that I can snug into the clamshell.

I was sent the following from Joy City Tires:

"This is probably the closest wheel you'll find that's readily available:

http://www.rtxwheels.com/en/wheels/rtxwheels-stern-silver
16" x 7"
5x112
+35 offset
1488lb load rating

You can use a 5mm spacer if you want to get the offset lower.
They are $630 taxes included for four if you want them."
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The 7.0” width is nice, most MB wheels are 7.5. However, that weight raising is pretty low for a syncro westy (although most wheels ratings are just manufacturer guesses)
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9905#20370798

The Alcar steel wheels for MB popped up recently for me while looking for winter wheels.

7x16 33ET 66.5 mm centerbore

These are listed as compatible with the MB E-class so the weight checks out. At 800 kr a wheel here in Norway they are a bargain!
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I’ve only seen a few of these, maybe 1 set on a Vanagon. New wheels on 1990 Multivan Westfalia pop top.

They are 5x112 and ET 45. Had to get the centerbore machined beyond 63mm

Have a 12mm spacer in the front ( could get away w 8-10mm ) and 7mm in the back. Very happy with how these Audi wheels turned out.

Thanks to a forum member, Zerin, for getting these to me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Those look great.

Marshj wrote:
I’ve only seen a few of these, maybe 1 set on a Vanagon. New wheels on 1990 Multivan Westfalia pop top.

They are 5x112 and ET 45. Had to get the centerbore machined beyond 63mm

Have a 12mm spacer in the front ( could get away w 8-10mm ) and 7mm in the back. Very happy with how these Audi wheels turned out.

Thanks to a forum member, Zerin, for getting these to me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Muftobration wrote:
Can anyone identify what wheels these are? I think it's a nice style on the Vanagon.

Those look like Audi ultrasport wheels
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
i want 15" rims and i'll just make this simple: what is the easiest (as in least amount of modifications) route?...

i've decided that for my purposes eurovan steelies are the best choice.
i have the rims and am prepared to make the needed mods.

what size spacers will i need?
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

OK flame suit on. At 153+ pages, I can't physically go through looking for the specifics of what I'm after. Does anyone (looking at Chris) know of a black 16" wheel, in the recommended offsets for 2WD non-lifted, in a width that properly supports a 215/65/16 A/T Tire? Is there perhaps an Audi/MB wheel that fits? Or is my best bet to find one of the Audi/MB wheels from literally page 1 and have them powdercoated Black?? Thanks!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I use CLKs on my stock height '87 2WD Westy with 205/65R-16s. 215s might require spacers. Don't know.

I'd say get some CLKs and powdercoat them, as several users have done.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks I'll dig into that direction...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog,

To narrow your search, you might want to know that the mentioned CLK rims are '98-'00. Expect five bills for 4 rims.. Unless you get lucky. Mostly, if you see an ad for a set of $200 CLKs you'll be the fourth caller, and the first caller will have them relisted a few weeks later for $500. Its not a pretty game.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Vnyd Dog,

To narrow your search, you might want to know that the mentioned CLK rims are '98-'00. Expect five bills for 4 rims.. Unless you get lucky. Mostly, if you see an ad for a set of $200 CLKs you'll be the fourth caller, and the first caller will have them relisted a few weeks later for $500. Its not a pretty game.

Got it! Thank you for summarizing! Google just spit out all the Samba threads on CLK wheels so appreciate you guys and gals getting me pointed in the right, expensive direction. Are there still forged CLK wheels to be had?? Also, rather than overboring, why isn't it possible to do a stud conversion down to 12x1.5 studs rather than opening the wheels up to fit the 14?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Yes, and no.

Since they are limited scope of years, there are few left on the road. The ones that have been on the road are rashed, pitted or generally crap. When they do pop up on CL, they are a long way away, and some guy closer has them before you can say you want them. Then, you chat with the guy who got them, and he says he knew they were worth more, and was just buying them to sell them again. Then you see the same ones pop up on the CL in a couple weeks and they sit there staring you in the face for 6 months, at $500... I will pop you a note when he renews his ad again.. Also, they often come up here on the Samba, in the classifieds, about the same $'s.. Its a game of chance/checkers/chess/what a mess.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
i've decided that for my purposes eurovan steelies are the best choice.
i have the rims and am prepared to make the needed mods.

what size spacers will i need?

well...finally took a look at the EV wheels that i have stashed and they are ET55 not ET44 like others i have seen. not really wanting to use 20mm spacers so the search continues...
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have 16” VW Passat Wagon 7 spoke wheels on my ‘86 2wd that support that tire size. I have 5mm spacers all around and machines the centerbore to clear the hub. The hardest part was finding a local machine shop. I had to get longer studs and longer and correct lug from T3. $119

I have seen folks who have these same wheels blacked out, see Sychrogreg
stevw72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Pacafalia wrote:

Will these fit on my 1989 2WD Westfalia? Late Model SLK

7JX16 ET 34.

What about grease cap? Will I need to buy deep custom center caps? [/img]

Hi I seen that these wheels had been posted up before but the O/P never received any feedback regarding fitment ,I have acquired a set for a good price and wondering if they will fit straight on or will require to be modified ?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Since you have a set,why not test fit one of them.

I'm not sure but I'm going to make some guesses anyway. Wink

Center bore: Fine

Lug nuts: They may fit or they need to be drilled out, try test fitting and you'll know. If they don't fit over the lug nuts you need to drill them out to 14 mm.

You WILL (ok, probably) need small ball or other lug nuts/bolts. Do Not run these with the vanagon bolts/nuts.

Grease caps will not fit.

34 et will be fine without spacers as long as you don't get crazy wide tires.
Even 225 wide *should* be fine on the front as long as you don't put on snow chains, check the clearance from the inside of the tire and hardware.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 152, 153, 154 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 153 of 174

Jump to: