Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thermostat rod correct hole
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Hi
Trial fitting my tinwear on new 1776 before I paint tinwear.Having problem with thermostat rod hole. Put rod thru yellow hole first which is the wrong hole.Doing this ofsets the rod 20 mm away from the thermostat bracket. The rod from memory from other motors should go thru where I have circled in red in the second photo,but there are two fins cast in the way.( not mold flashing) .Thoughts please on fileing to remove offending fins or modify rod / thermo bracket to get things to line up- heads are L3,s ftom Aircooled .net Cheers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Are you sure it's the right way 'round in the shroud?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Take a coat hanger and stick it through one of the two cylinder holes at a time and see which hole is a straight 'line' to the top of the thermostat holder. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

The thermostat bracket in the photo is for a type 3 set up. You need a type 1 thermostat bracket. The type 3 bracket doesn't move up & down.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Good catch, AppleGreen.

I never even noticed there was a difference. Duh!
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys - I will track down correct bracket, looks like the rod should go thru the hole in red to line up correctly but gap between fins is same as diameter of rod . Will have to make hole larger by removing the two small fins-thoughts

You can see in this photo borrowed from another page the hole closest to the case side of head is the correct size
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Quote:
removing the two small fins-thoughts

Just drill a bigger hole Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Merry Xmas - all sorted round and square file , just need to sort bracket
Before

After

Thanks for the advice
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

What was a surprise to me was when I built my first T-4 Upright conversion and planed to use a stock T-1 thermostat, was the type 4 heads had a thermostat road hole in the exact spot for a longer rod.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Tackling similar in my Scat 1600 crate engine. Purchased from cip1.ca in 2016.

Flash images are from 3-4 head, but I’m filing hole in 1-2 head.

Pain in the you know what.

Glad I’m not broken down 2000 mi from home, and putting a new crate in my bus again.

Enjoy.

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Going thru the same rod fitting problem also, customers engine has big valve CB heads, I suggested going back to stock heads, regardless, I don't know how any of the aftermarket heads cool properly, pics are AFTER I cleaned the holes out, and a lot of grinding to make rod deflector plates fit.
Mocking up engine reassemble (cylinder and heads) before final, had top end apart for check for overheating problems, several contributing issues besides heads.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Quote:
lot of grinding to make rod deflector plates fit.

any photos of where to grind to get them to fit?
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Yea, later, lots of pics of stuff that don't fit, fighting an aftermarket alternator stand now Brick wall
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Yea, later, lots of pics of stuff that don't fit, fighting an aftermarket alternator stand now Brick wall

CB carries the Mexican Alt stand...o-ring seal to the case and a plastic filler that will never rust out. If you leave it stock it's great....don't think you can add an extended filler to it since it doesn't have threads in the top anymore.

I really like mine...it's been on there for at least 5 years. The alt bracket is easier to put on too.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
lot of grinding to make rod deflector plates fit.

any photos of where to grind to get them to fit?

Here's what I did, just lay plate in and see what needs to come out, my tab's wouldn't engage, black is where stock was removed, basically just squared out the corner where the plate is supposed to set, fins that I didn't touch are flawed IMHO, the castings are what we call "short" many area's in these heads that way.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

And now for the Alt. stand, engine came in with one where the alt. bosses were setting on the casting, holding it up .06-.10 off the cradle part. Not wanting to give up one of my OG towers I found another A.M. one I had, it cleared but was .06 too tall! Brick wall Milled it down, kept my OG one! you can see in pic it's thicker on the base!

Alt. cocked at least .06-.1 up due to interference, here

Older 90's stand cleared alt. but .06 too tall

Stock OE stand

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

RWK wrote:

This seems like the appropriate thread for this as it is about setting up the air cooling system like VW intended. I'm just borrowing the image for a question.

VW included a rear air deflector plates that bolted to the cylinder tin to extend it down to increase coverage for cylinders 2 and 4. Why does this tin extend under the exhaust port? As the picture clearly shows there is no way for air to flow down there as the exhaust port is blocking the fins. The small area where air can flow through is well forward of the tin.

Those wings under the exhaust ports are sometimes removed when aftermarket cylinder tins are used. It seems most aftermarket cylinder tins end earlier than the stock VW ones so the deflector plates end up being installed a little higher on the engine than stock. That also suggests that aftermarket cylinder tins may be a problem for the stock breast plate fit.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Gotta make sure you are putting it in right hole. Very Happy
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat rod correct hole Reply with quote

Kiwi1966 wrote:
but there are two fins cast in the way.( not mold flashing) .Thoughts please on fileing to remove offending fins.

That is in fact extra material leftover from the molding, NOT fins that were put there purposely... so yes you did the right thing. Drill bits also work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: