Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Center link
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Center link Reply with quote

So I am gathering parts for the front end suspension as I am getting ready to put on new bilstein shocks and BMW e30 springs as well as brass idler bushings and adding ball joint grease points...I have been considering doing the centerlink rebuild and may still but I came across these cenerlinks for sale on Ebay when searching for parts.I was thinking I could swap them and have one to rebuild in the future if needed..my question is are the the same as 411 as advertised(they say it will fit my car but they say that alot... )and are these original parts possibly defected in the same way? I've heard ray talk about them going bad just sitting on the shelf after 45 yrs...would it still be a good option while I rebuild the originals? Any feedback would be great! Also have rear Ford e 1/2 tons coming for the rear! Anything else I should consider while I'm going at it? Everything is in great shape. Just trying to preserve it..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Center-Link-RARE-PARTS-26264-fits-71-73-VW-411/254017319176

Jeremiah
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Center link Reply with quote

Oddly enough....NOS centerlinks are not that hard to find. They are or were all made by TRW.

And most of them will work fine.....for a while. Unlike something like a master cylinder ....the NOS centerlink will not go bad on the shelf with age.....unless it was stored very poorly...as in wet.

The problem is that the nylon packing inside was simply the wrong nylon. It was nylon 6.....so as the outer urethane weather seal started to leak water....the combined water and dirt would literally turn the nylon to mush. The centerlink itself getting sloppy is not a huge handling issue.....but it puts extra wear on whats attached to it...primarily the idler bushing. Its biggest issue is that once it starts to get sloppy....the extra movement makes accurately diagnosing wear in other parts very difficult. And once its installed....it cannot be accurately checked for busying failure unless its removed so you can see the play in the rotating pins.

So....you can buy any of the NOS centerlinks and they will operate perfectly.....for a while. That for a while in a daily driver through wide ranging weather.....has been shown to me to be about a max of 50k miles and an average of 30-35k miles.

If you get them for cheap....this is not bad actually. The big issue...is diagnosing it when it has gone bad....and then having one on hand to replace it.

In about a 4 year period when I was putting over 50k a year on my 412.....I went through three brand new NOS links. Its why I have a pile of cores.

So yes....you are on the right track. For now....buy a good NOS one, install and drive and rebuild your spare.

Virtually anything that has the "rare parts" brand attached is either rebuilt or reboxed NOS and a little pricey.

Here is another one for ahout half that price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Center-Drag-Link...2784624293

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Center link Reply with quote

Ok I am going to order one thanks for the link...I am also going to go ahead and put on a new steering damper while I'm doing everything.Is the Mercedes bilstein my best option?Does that take any customization at all or is it a bolt on replacement?is there a 412 nos replacement available?

Thanks Jeremiah
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Center link Reply with quote

Never mind on the steering damper I found and re read the thread that lars did on it, and also the one about the nos ones being no good.seams pretty straightforward I am going to get the mercedes w123 from bilstein.

Jeremiah
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: