Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum got his first tank of gas since February today!

He drove decently well. I think that the new fuel pump has too much pressure, because the car stalled as I moved it into a parking space in front of the store and then had a backfire as loud as a gunshot for the second time since I bought the new pump as I tried to restart him.

My brother is also concerned about the rubber oil lines hanging down near the exhaust pipes, but I've been told that they're fine as long as they don't touch the pipes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the way there, traffic was slow, but he still performed well.

Right as I was finishing up, a beautiful air-cooled Porsche rolled up! We talked about our cars; he has owned '59, '63, and '69 Beetles and two Karmann Ghias. The best part: for once, I wasn't the one who pulled up next to another car. Very Happy

Three days to go.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

BEETLEBAUM PASSED INSPECTION TODAY!

For the first time in seven years, Beetlebaum is legal!

He has a few more problems to sort out; I heard a nice crunchy sound as I went around a corner, so I'm pretty sure that the rear wheel bearings are shot. His fuel gauge also keeps going up and down. The inspector also said that he noticed some play in all the bearings, so I may have to tighten the front hubs a tiny bit.

I took him to get lunch to celebrate, and I'll take him out later today to celebrate again. Very Happy

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

It's supposed to rain today, so, before the storms move in, I decided to take Beetlebaum out and run some errands.

First, we made our very first trip to Starbucks. I've been to Starbucks more times than I care to admit, but this was Beetlebaum's first-ever trip to get coffee.

Next we went to Walmart. I bought some square canvas boxes for the trunk so that I can put non-food items in there when I run errands.

Beetlebaum's cam makes the powerband happen relatively high in the RPMs, which can be annoying when doing daily driving, but I'm already learning and adapting to how he runs now. I'll dial in the tuning as time goes on.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

Beetlebaum went to the Virginia Beach oceanfront today!

...and the Virginia Beach convention center.

Since he passed inspection, I've put about forty miles on him. Until earlier this evening, I hadn't even driven the New Beetle in about three days. Totally worth it. Very Happy

Beetlebaum goes to his first-ever Cars & Coffee event on Saturday, January 5th.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

This morning, after I took the car to get breakfast with my brother, I decided to go on a landmark-seeing trip, so I went back to the oceanfront and visited the Cavalier Hotel, one of Virginia Beach's most recognizable structures.

I also realized that I absolutely need to fix the exhaust leaks, as exhaust definitely gets in the cabin as I drive, so I've decided to park the car until I sort out that issue (with the exception of driving him to Saturday's car show).
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard Reply with quote

In the interest of ensuring that no exhaust gets in the car, I pulled out the stuff from behind the rear seat to start properly cleaning back there. I'm pretty sure that there's some mold back there from back when the car had a leak from the rear window, so I'm stripping as much residue out of the package shelf as I can.

Overall, the package shelf is extremely solid, with just one small hole which probably has been allowing the exhaust in. It's small enough and hidden enough that I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't specifically searched for holes.

Here's the before picture from this morning.

Today I scraped tarboard...and tomorrow I'll scrape more tarboard...and hopefully by Thursday I'll have everything cleaned up, sealed, and painted. I'm cheating and just using JB Weld to fill the small hole; I'll fix it properly when the body comes off for the full restoration in the distant future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Jump to:
Page 32 of 32

Jump to: