Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnovanschaik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

Hallo,

Im a offroad enthousiast from Sweden wanting to build a "American style" Baja Bug / Beetle since we call it Beetle over here.

I have started with a chassis drawing from fellow builder Doug, from the Youtube channel "Doug Bug"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8n0_ivJZHBDANHHHOWuC2A

I have adapted the chassis a little and build a full rollcage on that. Now I want to use the bug as a daily driver so I have the door bar pretty low to get a easier "daily" entrance to the car. The plan is to use independent front and rear suspension. For engine I want to use a 2L Subaru Impreza blok with a matching auto transmission. I want to try and use the Subaru 4 wheel drive system to make the bug 4WD.

Here are some planes for the chassis and cage.
What are your thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bugtub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

Looks good but for all wheel drive your need a transmission tunnel
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

Looks more like chassis for pre-runner not particularly a roll cage for "Beetle" (BAJA)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
arnovanschaik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

bugtub wrote:
Looks good but for all wheel drive your need a transmission tunnel

Damn I never even thought about that. My front end design would not allow for that now would it Sad

Dale M. wrote:
Looks more like chassis for pre-runner not particularly a roll cage for "Beetle" (BAJA)...

I would take that as a compliment. Them pre-runners are some of the toughest trucks on the plannet! While I was designing the chassis, I did look at pre-runners for inspiration on chassis building. I guess that without the Beetle shell on it, things look a little off.

I must say, its designed to fit your typical Beetle shell over the tubing. Like you would do in any other Baja build.
arnovanschaik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

I did I dirty photoshop mockup of an idea I had. Because the 4WD is not going to work with the wya I designed the cage. The reason why I wanted 4WD is because when we get snow, 4WD would be super nice to have.

So with no 4WD but a lot of snow in winter, I thought, maybe do something I have not seen before. A Baja Bug on tracks.

Thoughts?

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

You could save yourself lots of time & money if you just fit the tracks to a Subaru.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
arnovanschaik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You could save yourself lots of time & money if you just fit the tracks to a Subaru.

And What would be the fun in that?
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

Or... do what these guys did... VW bug body on a Polaris RZR XP 1000 UTV. There you go... 4-wheel drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MaC45JJFE
arnovanschaik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

MI-Bug wrote:
Or... do what these guys did... VW bug body on a Polaris RZR XP 1000 UTV. There you go... 4-wheel drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_MaC45JJFE

Thats a good idea, and somewhat easy to make as wel..
But I really don't like the sound of them, also I think there a little to weak motor to drive on the street daily..

I am used to a VW toureg v6 and a Porsche 911 as daily drives, so as you can imagine, I want something with a good amount of power. And I also just want something that ik can also take and play with in the snow without the change of $2000+ of damage if I hit a small snowbank...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

You need this!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2202311

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
arnovanschaik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja Bug chassis advise - Subaru 2L 4WD - Sweden Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You need this!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2202311

I would love something like that! And have been looking into getting one. But those old 911 are getting more and more expensive to buy here in Europe unfortunately Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: