Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Consumer 3D printer recommendations
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

Anyone have recommendations for a consumer grade 3D printer?

If you have one or have tried one what are things to look for or look out for?

They seem to be coming down in price and there appear to be numerous choices of printing technology and material.

What's the best option for the home user?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

I like Robo 3D R1, had one at home and two at school. Easy to use and good customer service. Connects easily with a USB cord and uses Matter Control software.

I upgraded to the Robo 2, not so fond of it-too much automation. Prints better than R1 but takes way longer. Does not connect via USB and the Cura software for it is not intuitive. The wifi from the R2 is not stable and can't control the printer very well from a computer. Have to use the little touch screen which can be finicky.

this was printed on the R1:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

I got a Creality Ender 3 for Christmas and it’s fantastic. Easy to assemble and get going. Already have printed some stuff for the bug. I’m using Amazon Basics filament.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

the other day I saw an advert for a 3D printer printer - so that you can print your own printer Laughing
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

Ive had a SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V3.2 and currently an Original Prusa MK3 and I prefer the prusa honestly.

Check out the Original Prusa Mk3 it has a ton of great features and makes getting into 3D printing less painful and has an easier learning curve than some of the cheap and unsafe chinese printers. But if you cant swing the $800 shipped for the kit then I also highly recommend a Creality CR-10 or CR-10 mini

I print mostly props and some stuff for the house out of PETG, none of that PLA weakness. I also have a raspberry pi running octoprint connected to it so I can upload files I slice with Simplify 3D from my laptop and not bother with unreliable USB tethered printing.

I'm finishing up a 100% 3D printed full scale R2D2. Everything has been printed now its onto finishing / painting.

Source: I help run a makerspace with multiple printers, have been printing for years.

Look into your local makerspaces and see if they offer intro to 3D printing, we do at MakerFX Makerspace, makerfx.org

https://nordeastmakers.com/

http://www.tcmaker.org/blog/
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Ive had a SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V3.2 and currently an Original Prusa MK3 and I prefer the prusa honestly.

Check out the Original Prusa Mk3 it has a ton of great features and makes getting into 3D printing less painful and has an easier learning curve than some of the cheap and unsafe chinese printers. But if you cant swing the $800 shipped for the kit then I also highly recommend a Creality CR-10 or CR-10 mini

I print mostly props and some stuff for the house out of PETG, none of that PLA weakness. I also have a raspberry pi running octoprint connected to it so I can upload files I slice with Simplify 3D from my laptop and not bother with unreliable USB tethered printing.

I'm finishing up a 100% 3D printed full scale R2D2. Everything has been printed now its onto finishing / painting.

Source: I help run a makerspace with multiple printers, have been printing for years.

Look into your local makerspaces and see if they offer intro to 3D printing, we do at MakerFX Makerspace, makerfx.org

https://nordeastmakers.com/

http://www.tcmaker.org/blog/

Whats your opinion of PETG vs PLA? I've only just started printing, but am using PLA, what's the difference between them?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

The best 'bang for your buck' is the Ender 3 Pro. Also, they just came out with the Ender 3 V2 -- https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-3-v2-3d-printer
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D printer recommendations Reply with quote

Wow that Ender-3 V2 is super cheap at $270.

I have 3 Makerbots in my classroom and 1 Dremel. I like them but wish they were duel filament as one would be dissolvable for the supports. I've been printing student work from home and then mail, drop off in a box at school or kids come to my porch to get their projects. I only brought one matching home and it gets a lot of use, I don't have the room to bring more home and I don't mind printing all day long for the kids. Look into the dissolvable filament models which use 2 rolls of filament, well worth the money.

Kafer_Mike wrote:
The best 'bang for your buck' is the Ender 3 Pro. Also, they just came out with the Ender 3 V2 -- https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-3-v2-3d-printer

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: