Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What was the/a PO thinking here?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

What's this about?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found it like that three years ago and never got around to sorting out what they do/where those go. You can see the multiport connector just down at bottom left, and that's where one of those wires goes. They are all blue/white, so I assume they are stock/OG wiring. I added the ziptie — it used to go into some kind of butt crimp but that was looking flaky. Lots of splices and crimps back in there…maybe from the TiiCo conversion. There was an alarm in here at one time and who knows what else…

I thought I saw somewhere that the later (post 85 or so) fuse panels had unused terminals on the back to avoid cutting into/adding vampire taps. I'd love to remove some of the ones I have but I don't see any unused terminals on mine. If I don't have that option, is there a type of terminal block y'all recommend? I have a few things wired in (GPS tracker, footwell lighting, USB power ports) that could be more neatly done. I have access to good marine supply stores so I hope to get some wire (maybe blue or white/blue — anything but red/black) and a terminal block if they have one that suits.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

It's actually not bad but the standard for wiring here on Samba is sub-basement, frankly. That zip tie is taking all the strain on that connects, it's probably ugly inside though

Yeah,no one is a fan of those taps. They suck
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

That meets code from what Ive seen under the dash of most old VW busses. If you dont have an auxillary head lamp hot wired to the cig lighter and finished off w scotch tape, you might not be driving a VW.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

A PO, or shop, used those same taps to install my remote key gizmo. So far so good.

I guess it would depend on the configuration of the van but there should be available spade connectors on the supply side (pre fuse) of the older style fuse panels. IIRC, there are also open spades on the load side but one would have to do the math to figure if the circuit could handle any added load. Depending on the amount of total load, you could run a fused + wire from one of those [edit: pre fuse] spades to a fuse block or just a new fused + wire from the battery to a fuse block. The area in front of the glove box can be a good location for the new fuse block and/or relays.

Those blue striped wires may be part of the dash light circuit. IF so, and it's on an '84 or older van, that circuit is not fused from the factory.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

Grey and blue is dash lights.Where does the red wire go ?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

I ended up using something like these to wire in oil pressure gauge and I'm pretty happy with them:
https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Fuse-Tap-Holder-5-Pack/...ircuit+ato
Also I don't have it in front of me but yes the Bentley says 86-91 is supposed to have two "blank" fuse slots - 14 and 15 maybe?

Disclaimer: I am not the person who should be giving wiring advice, I can barely figure it out every time.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Also I don't have it in front of me but yes the Bentley says 86-91 is supposed to have two "blank" fuse slots - 14 and 15 maybe?

My manual has 5 and 6 as vacant. Trouble is, with a gauge you need two power sources…one for the gauge (always on when the key is in RUN/engine is running) and one for the lights (tied to the dash lights). So we end up with all these crappy little taps…or we run a white/blue wire (that would be hot when the dash lights are on) to a break out/panel and tap into that as an aux fuse panel. I have one of those for the aux battery stuff but it seems like overkill for this. But I am open to persuasion.

There are so many taps and splices from stuff like radios and whatnot. The wiring by the ignition switch looks like spaghetti and not in a good way. The wiring above the fuse box is littered with splices and impossible to read tape labels (why I assume the TiiCo conversion is part of it).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

The other issue, is that VW added some extra wires for options your van might not have, so you find stock, free floating connectors, only there to add another layer of confusion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

Exactly. Plus the Bentley has 6 and 17 as vacant but doesn't show a fuse for the rear washer/wiper which the owner's manual shows on 17. I think some trial and guess will be in order.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

Do you have an aux battery?

IIRC, I have a similar bundle of wires all ganged together (using one of those threaded plastic caps) at the cig lighter wire where my aux power feed connects to the OEM harness.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

I do have an aux battery but it's not to blame for any of this… Laughing just pulled a few of the vampire taps and found that some are connecting stock dash lighting…like the lights for the fan and other stuff, all connected w taps or wrapped in that bundle. Pretty sure that's not how it rolled off the lot.

and peep this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's a ground tree waiting to happen. Wish I had ordered a couple when I ordered the new heater core. VW no longer makes or stocks them.

This is becoming a bigger project, as they will do.

Also discovered why my aux battery keeps dying: the solar charge controller isn't sending any power to it. Even a day like today (rain and heavy cloud) shows power from the solar panel but the controller is doing nothing with it. One &*&ing thing after another.

EDIT: ordered a Victron controller to see if this controller is dead and to be able to monitor it (since it comes with this newfangled Bluetooth stuff). Should be enough to keep me busy for the next few days.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What was the/a PO thinking here? Reply with quote

My radio is wired like that.
I don't like my radio, it's 'temporary.'
But it does work.

That's a PO (present owner) excuse. Laughing

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: