Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch pedal hard
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
billholderby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

in my california clipper,pedal is a bitch to push.whats the best conversion kit to make hydrolic.thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

I don't call myself an expert by any means but yours is an unusual problem, vw clutch operation is seldom an issue. I would look for a cable problem rather than reinvent the wheel switching to a hydraulic operator. Look for a dry cable or a kink.
You should disconnect the cable at the clutch release arm, see if the cable then moves freely when the pedal is pushed.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

^ This. When I rebuilt my drive line, I had inadvertently tightened the clutch cable too much - that wingnut on the end on the other side of the throw-out arm. Couldn't push the pedal at all. Loosened that wingnut up and problem solved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

And I will add to make sure you cable and throw out arm is corrosion free and well lubricated. Also make sure your Bowden tube has the correct bend to it.

A hydraulic system is more trouble than its worth IMO.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

Cable system is so much simpler and trouble free if you can find what issue is and fix/repair.... Pretty good chance you are going to have continuing problems with clutch just converting to hydraulics....

Do you have cable properly adjusted, do you have correct throw out bearing for pressure plate style?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

As everybody is telling you here.....there is so much to the "clutch" system that should be checked out before even thinking about going to a new system. From corroded/bent pedals, cable, bowden tube, clutch arm length, wing nut/ free play, shaft problems at the tranny, and all the clutch stuff itself. I was supporting over 300 hp from a rotary and I had the clutch moving like butter for many years.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

Besides making sure everything is as it should be, the later levers were longer and reduced effort by over 25%

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2158267

Last edited by BL3Manx on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
... later levers were longer and reduced effort by over 25% ...

Keep in mind this would also mean having to push in the clutch pedal through a wider angle, which your build may allow room for. Having these choices is one of the best things about buggy building, and having this site with so many knowledgeable and helpful people sharing is the greatest.

Last edited by MrGoodtunes on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Besides making sure everything is as it should be, the later levers were longer and reduced effort by over 25%

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-361-141-719-HD

[/img]

Learn sumptin' new every day...
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

My last hard to press clutch issue ended up being a badly work Bowdon Tube.

If that isn't the problem. my money's on a poor fit between the clutch release bearing and pressure plate (worn mating surface, "noisy" bearing, cable too tight, etc.).

To go off topic, I currently am having extremely hard to push clutch problems on a 1989 F350, 7.3 diesel 5 speed. I installed a new slave cylinder - no effect. I installed a new clutch master cylinder - no effect, still almost impossible to push. So, hydraulic systems are not fix-all's either.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

I run a Stage III Kennedy Pressure Plate in my buggy. I installed the Classic Bug Parts roller tip pedal shaft, and the longest arm Nelson showed above. My 110 pound, 5' 2" wife says it is easier than her stock Miata.

I have installed two different hydraulic systems on two different buggies I have built, and I personally would not own either one. The one that is in the tunnel sucked and gives constant issues staying in adjustment. The other had a positioning issue and makes a awkward feel to the pedal.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch pedal hard Reply with quote

Bill hasn't checked back in in 3 days... we may never know Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: